Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone had any experience of fitting an ipod drawer and connection cable to their 147 and if so how easy was it?

·
Registered
296 Posts
Done a GT yesterday easy really,
remove the radio ( easy to get probes from Halfords) or as I did 4 slim long screwdrivers,prise out radio,There is plenty of spare lead to move unit around with.
tug the lower tray and it should slide out,
at the rear of the radio remove the 3 plugs that are joined as one unit,
slide out blue one, replace with the blue one from your ipod unit, put the 3 plugs back to the radio,
stick the silver ipod unit down the back of the tray, and push the ipod feed lead thro the hole in the ipod shelf.
slide in the ipod shelf,
then gently push back radio till it locks in place
jobs a good un !:thumbs:

·
Registered
96 Posts
I fitted to mine (2006 147 2lt lusso) 2 weeks back,
Took a slightly different method to agenta lusso, as I found when trying to put it all back together wires kept getting in the way of refitting the head unit.

Having removed the head unit & cup holder (I used the halfords spikes) and fitted the wire, Velcroing the box to the bottom of AC control box and pushing the wires out the way.

I tried fitting the ipod draw followed by the head unit, but the wires behind kept getting in the way preventing it going all the way in.
So, I took everything back out again and fitted the head unit (so that I could get my hand up under it through the hole for the ipod draw. This enabled me to push wires out of the way and get the HU fitted.
Once that was in I did a little more moving wires to ensure they were all clear of the point out the back of the draw, and pushed that into position.
All thats left is to fit the rubber mat inside it, and plug in your ipod.

Operation wise, every so often I get the issue where it dosnt switch on properly requiring turning off & on, but other than that its worked great.
I used the official Alfa lead which only gives 9 playlists & playlist 10 gives access to the ipod for manual changing.

Ended up setting up 8 playlists (numbered 1 to 8) each containing all of a specific type of music, which should have left no 9 free for on the go playlist. Sadly the dammed ipod had different ideas and keeps forcing a 'purchased music' playlist as no9 which I cant delete and only contains 1 tract (that I dont want to listen to)

·
Registered
83 Posts
i am going to be fitting one of these over next couple of days, so where it says velcro to ac box - where exactly is that?

also the ipod cable itself, does that just stay loose, or is there something in the packaging to fix the lead so it doesn't get lost down the back of the radio?

·
Registered
96 Posts
I Velcroed it to the top of the unit below the iPod draw, there is a ton of space at the back
I used the cable tie which came on the wire to fix it in place, though to be honest once the rubber mat is in place the wire is held in place

·
Registered
83 Posts
Ok I have now fitted it, it took about 2 hours though:-( I managed to get everything out easily enough, then I fiddled with the box to get it to stick to the a/c box and got that fitted. The thing that took the most time was getting the HU and new drawer fitted again, the wire at the back I quite thick and woul not allow me to move it to much. Eventually I managed to manouver it just enough for the radio to click in both sides but it is quite a tight squeeze, hopefully now it's clicked in it won't be pushed back out by the wire. I then had a few attempts at fitting the drawer as again the wire just kept on getting in the way an it just wouldn't budge enough for me to fit the drawer, eventually I managed to push it in and clicked in but again it quite tight.

Did anyone else have this trouble when fitting theirs?

I tested it with my iPod classic and it works fine. It will play the first 10 playlists on your iPod but if you select an album or playlist using the iPod before plugging into stereo then it will continue playing from the iPod :)

·
Registered
12 Posts
I did the iPod connection but did notbother with the drawer since I would lose a cup holder. I fitted mine so that the box is In the glove box and the iPod sits in the cubby hole under the heater controls. This works perfectly and the easiest way to do this is to take the glove box out to gain access. (you can then feed the wires from the back of the sterio straight through to the glove box area.) You can then pass the iPod connecting wire out of the bottom rightcorner of the glovebox and into the side ofthe console through a joint in the plastic. Nice and easy (30 mins) and sitll have my cup holders! Oh and no lose wires either!
Do you have to drill holes in glove box to get cable from glove box then into holder under heater.can't feel any open space?

·
Banned
173 Posts
No, I fed the wire out of the bottom right corner of the glove box door, and gently eased it through a join in the plastic between said cubbie hole and centre console - this came out in the right place. Hope this helps

·
Registered
12 Posts
Can't see or feel any gap of glove box door or join bt centre console. Any chance you can take any pics and upload?

Cheers nickmoff

·
Banned
173 Posts
OKay, I'll try - the 1st picture shows the wire simply comes out of the bottom of the glove box (i have put some tape on the wire so you can see it). The door shuts fine, with the wire coming out of the glove box, so no need for an extra hole. the second picture shows where it comes out of the glovebox and disappears into the gap between the dashboard and the console. the bottom right shows both where the wire goes in and where it comes out - you need to tuck the wire all the way along this join (just above my hand) and with a bit of easing it back and forward, you should be able to make it come out as in picture 4. I hope this helps?

Attachments

·
Banned
173 Posts
I think this cost me around £100 and works with the iPod classic/nano but dosnt work with my i-phone. It connects through the cd multi-changer plug on the back of the standard 147 cd/radio

1 - 20 of 22 Posts