Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
V

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for something with decent sound, not too large, up to 100 notes.

There's so much out there though and what one person rates, another hates.

Anyone got any recommendations? :)

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
I bought one of these a while ago from John Lewis

iPod and iPhone Speaker Dock GEAR4 HouseParty DAB Radio: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics

and it works pretty well. It has the advantage of DAB radio built in and the remote control accesses the iPod menus correctly (not all docks do this, so beware).

Downsides are a fairly bright, backlit display which can't be turned off, so as I have mine in a bedroom I tend to pull the power plug at night. Also, the remote control is a bit fiddly. Note that the iPod screens do not appear on the dock screen, so when sifting through iPod menus, you have to be able to see the iPod screen (the iPod sits on top of the dock).

Overall, it's pretty good though. Sound quality is good, DAB reception is good. I'd give it 8/10 and it was a lot better than some of the other docks I tested.

·
Registered
26,130 Posts
If you don't want a freestanding dock, here's the Project Dock Box that I hooked up to my stereo - it's ace!

Not tried this yet: http://www.mightydwarf.com/ - not a docking station, but a little gadget that turns your personal music-player into something loud - no charging though, but very small footprint.

·
Administrator
45,521 Posts
Now you've got some decent answers, can I hijack your thread Hughesy?

When manufacturers make docks, do they ever consider that the owner might have put a case on their iPod/Phone? Surely it'd be the easiest thing in the world to simply make the connector a few mm taller, so it was still sturdy but would allow connection through a case or bumper?

Anyone know of a dock which does this? Or does an adaptor/extension exist? I wouldn't want a full cable extension, because I do want the iPhone to stand up on the unit as intended.

Specifically, I'll looking for something I can use as a radio alarm clock.

·
Administrator
45,521 Posts
Will do. I occasionally nip into an electricals store and walk down the line of docks slotting my phone into each one in turn to see if it registers. God knows what the staff think I'm up to!

·
Registered
101 Posts
As your are using an iPhone have you considered an "Air Play" enabled device? No Phone in the dock and No Cables running from phone to dock win win?

Can cost a bit more though.

N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Philips one i have came with about 20 different adaptors to handle a wide
variety of iPod sizes. they all had backrests too, to help support it when docked.

·
Registered
963 Posts
I'm going to take not just one but a couple of big punts here.

Firstly, if you're into your music there should hopefully be an opportunity to revisit older school sounds done in a contemporary fashion.

Secondly, I've always lived my life to a fairly basic principle - if you're going to do it, give yourself the opportunity to do it right. Sometimes that may mean spending a little more, but hey - if you're going to spend £100 then that £100 is already gone. Just look at what a further few £ may get you.

Fatman FIVDII iTube ValveDock MkII: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics

Beautiful.

If you've bought an iPod you've already accepted that you're paying more for something more special, be that interface or storage or whatever works for you. Fatman works on the same level - quality stuff.

N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Sorry, but iPods are most definitely lo-fi. For audio quality they suck.
Adding +200 quids worth of dock to it isn't gonna change that. ;)

·
Registered
26,130 Posts
Better than the Arcam irDock?
I can't honestly say as I haven't listened to the Arcam, but the little Project box sure rocks :)
I more or less stuck with Project because I also use their phono preamp and I like the sound of that, I like the looks of that so there you are...
Here's a review

Something similar that also gets reviewed positively is the Onkyo-ND-S1

1 - 20 of 29 Posts