Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks.

I am planning to put a hidden fitted Ipod / Iphone dock under my ashtray in the centre console.

I have purchased a cheap connector set off Ebay including postage for under £4. I plan on dismantling the cigarette lighter connector and hard wiring it to a power source. Taking an Aux. sound lead from the doc to my stereo. Hiding the main connector (square shaped slab) in the recess for the ashtray...Job done.

I will pop some photos on here once it is complete.

Has anyone tried this? Got any tips?

Cheers.
Paul

Attachments

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
I bought a JVC unit which has a USB port at both the back and the front fascia. I fed a cable from the rear port and managed to thread it through into the glove box. It is also bluetooth and has a microphone which I've stuck onto the mound of the rev counter. It's all very subtle and you would hardly know it's there.

·
Registered
2,575 Posts
I bought a Sony unit that has a 'Tune Tray' - iPod sits inside. For the first few weeks I'd transfer my iPod from one car to the other. However since all my music is on my iPhone as well, these days I just get in my Spider and push 'Pause' on the head unit - it connects via Bluetooth and plays whatever was playing last, plus it works for phone calls too.

I can put my iPhone in a windscreen holder and I've wired a cigarette lighter socket to the red/green and black wires found at an unused plug in the roof console (Telepass provision). Then I can plug in a Belkin power adapter (the small kind) and it's perfect because the lead is right where I need it, at the top of the windscreen. The TomTom instructions (app on the iPhone) are even spoken through the stereo - it all works seamlessly :)

-Alex

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I still have the parts but have not fitted them. I installed a Bluetooth stereo with touchscreen and a reversing camera. Music and phone calls are played through Bluetooth connection.

·
Registered
8,918 Posts

·
Registered
30,067 Posts
Don't you think you'd have your arm pressing on the ipod or iphone if it was standing up in that location?

If I had it there one swift gear change later you'd find the ipod on the back seats :lol:

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Haha i hear ya Andy :)
I just had the DVD player in the car and was feeling techie. So popped one on there. Handy for reversing through a tight s bend into my garage. :)

·
Registered
2,575 Posts
Haha i hear ya Andy :)
I just had the DVD player in the car and was feeling techie. So popped one on there. Handy for reversing through a tight s bend into my garage. :)
With the roof up on a wet day, I hate reversing my Spider ;)
The rear three-quarter vision is so poor and the plastic window when wet can give whiteout conditions (I'm going to give it a polish soon). I remember my 124 Spider I owned briefly had the natty little glass rear side windows that dropped into the body sides when the hood was lowered.

With the roof down, I just turn around for that sitting-in-a-speedboat feeling...

-Alex

1 - 11 of 11 Posts