Alfa Romeo Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I see on the USA Giulia forum that the Ipod classic support is very much broken

I assume this is the case with UK cars too?

Bit annoyed about this. I know its a bit old school these days, but i was hoping to use my 160GB ipod classic with my Giulia thats on order.

The reason is that i have all my music (well 99% of it) in Apple lossless format, about 130GB of it. Apple lossless is ideal for me, because it plays on my ipod (not that i use it much outside the car, but it works great with the Mito standard head unit, and the pioneer ive replaced it with) it works on the XBMC (Kodi) systems around the house on the nice HIFI, and it works on my phone with microSD (though it sounds awful through the headphone jack). While apple lossless is wasted in the car, the point is i only manage one music collection, and its there on my server for the HIFI, i plug in the ipod to sync and i'm ready to go.

while i can stream from the phone via bluetooth, ive found a few annoyances with this. if ive watched a you tube video or something since ive been in the car, it doesnt then just start playing the music again when i get back to the car. its sits there Paused because it doesnt know what to do. also, some update or another, then turns the volume down on the Bluetooth connection with the radio (dont even need a volume control here) so i have to go back into the phone and turn it up again. not big problems i know, but its a bit frustrating. this is with the Pioneer radio, and a samsung S7. It may be better in the Giulia, but i suspect its likely to be worse. some of this may be related to the fact that that the S7 doesnt natively playback Apple lossless, so i use the poweramp app.

i could change all the music to FLAC, but then the ipod is useless, might improve the bluetooth streaming issues, and i could use a USB flash drive although the 64GB which is the max the giulia can support apparently is a bit limiting.

I'm done rambling now lol...

So how do you do it? (playing music in the Giulia, not eating a creme egg :))

cheers guys

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
I use FLAC files at home via Sonos. I've also converted all files to MP3 and put them on a 128Gb memory stick for the Giulia. I have over 10,000 tracks which I think from memory uses up about 80Gb so still plenty spare.
It works perfectly although occasionally if I try to search for a track by voice control it just says the device is still syncing. If I use the controller it finds the track no problem.
Whenever I rip new tracks I do them as FLAC files (using DbPower Amp CD ripper) and then create them all as MP3 files using DbPoweramp Batch Converter. I then just add the new MP3s to the memory stick. Job done.
Sounds good on the standard Giulia stereo.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
...interesting.... so your using a 128GB flash drive? i thought the max was 64GB (it says so in the audio manual i found online) what does it say in your audio manual?

i could probably convert apple lossless to flac and squeeze them all on a 128GB stick...

Thanks

·
Registered
1750 GTV, 2000 GTV, Stelvio Milano 280
5,236 Posts
I’m in a similar position, I have a first generation IPod which has a lot of music on it, much of which I won’t have on iTunes as it hasn’t been used for a long time. I did hope I could get it to play in the Giulia but it won’t have it.

Not sure if their is a way of connecting it or not, I do seem to recall seeing a post about that on here a few months ago. Isn’t their some sort of hardware that’s sits between the two?

At the moment I’m getting on ok by using an old IPhone which has most, but not all the music on. This is connected and working OK by the USB, but it would be good to be able to use the IPoD. As I’d like to put the IPhone to a different use.

·
Registered
3,218 Posts
iPod Classics were broken, then did work for a while - I used one on a test drive - but then apparently they broke them again in a software update.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
you should just be able to plug it in straight into the USB port, with the apple cable. First GEN ipod might be pushing it though... werent they firewire?

·
Registered
38,346 Posts
From the (Jeep) manual:

NOTE:
• When connecting your iPod device for the first time, the system may take several
minutes to read your music, depending on the number of files. For example, the
system will take approximately five minutes for every 1,000 songs loaded on the
device. Also during the reading process, the Shuffle and Browse functions will be
disabled. This process ensures the full use of your iPod features and only happens
the first time it is connected. After the first time, the reading process of your iPod
will take considerably less time unless changes are made or new songs are added
to the play list.

• The USB port supports certain Mini, Classic, Nano, Touch, and iPhone devices.
The USB port also supports playing music from compatible external USB Mass
Storage Class memory devices. Some iPod software versions may not fully support
the USB port features. Please visit Apple’s website for iPod software updates.

Jeepers have also reported rebooting your iPod before connecting it for the 1st time helps.

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
...interesting.... so your using a 128GB flash drive? i thought the max was 64GB (it says so in the audio manual i found online) what does it say in your audio manual?

i could probably convert apple lossless to flac and squeeze them all on a 128GB stick...

Thanks
Yes I'm using a 128Gb flash drive (SanDisk Cruzer Blade - red and black to match the interior!).
I wasn't aware of the supposed 64Gb limit until after I'd bought it but it seems to work just fine.

·
Registered
189 Posts
I see on the USA Giulia forum that the Ipod classic support is very much broken

I assume this is the case with UK cars too?

Bit annoyed about this. I know its a bit old school these days, but i was hoping to use my 160GB ipod classic with my Giulia thats on order.

The reason is that i have all my music (well 99% of it) in Apple lossless format, about 130GB of it. Apple lossless is ideal for me, because it plays on my ipod (not that i use it much outside the car, but it works great with the Mito standard head unit, and the pioneer ive replaced it with) it works on the XBMC (Kodi) systems around the house on the nice HIFI, and it works on my phone with microSD (though it sounds awful through the headphone jack). While apple lossless is wasted in the car, the point is i only manage one music collection, and its there on my server for the HIFI, i plug in the ipod to sync and i'm ready to go.

while i can stream from the phone via bluetooth, ive found a few annoyances with this. if ive watched a you tube video or something since ive been in the car, it doesnt then just start playing the music again when i get back to the car. its sits there Paused because it doesnt know what to do. also, some update or another, then turns the volume down on the Bluetooth connection with the radio (dont even need a volume control here) so i have to go back into the phone and turn it up again. not big problems i know, but its a bit frustrating. this is with the Pioneer radio, and a samsung S7. It may be better in the Giulia, but i suspect its likely to be worse. some of this may be related to the fact that that the S7 doesnt natively playback Apple lossless, so i use the poweramp app.

i could change all the music to FLAC, but then the ipod is useless, might improve the bluetooth streaming issues, and i could use a USB flash drive although the 64GB which is the max the giulia can support apparently is a bit limiting.

I'm done rambling now lol...

So how do you do it? (playing music in the Giulia, not eating a creme egg :))

cheers guys
Sounds like you're into your music files and good quality sound. Be prepared for disappointment, the speakers in the standard setup are very average. Even with bass turned up there's not much of it and no richness to the music sound. For me, it's a disappointment with the car. My Mercedes is so much better.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Sounds like you're into your music files and good quality sound. Be prepared for disappointment, the speakers in the standard setup are very average. Even with bass turned up there's not much of it and no richness to the music sound. For me, it's a disappointment with the car. My Mercedes is so much better.
I'm prepared, thanks for the warning though.

Ive fitted high quality systems in my cars. the one in my Mito sounds sweet at the moment. I find all the factory fit systems to be a bit rubbish. and the "upgrades" to be the complete opposite to good value. Usually overly boomy bass, with over pronounced, but not particularly nice treble. for the £1000 it costs for the HK upgrade (that is still rubbish by all accounts) i could build an epic sounding system... the problem is, i just dont have the time.

If it really bothers me, i'll sort it out myself.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yes I'm using a 128Gb flash drive (SanDisk Cruzer Blade - red and black to match the interior!).
I wasn't aware of the supposed 64Gb limit until after I'd bought it but it seems to work just fine.
Thats good to know... and it can see all of the files?

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
Yep. Shows 10,039 tracks.
I have the standard stereo and I actually find it pretty good. With good quality recordings it sounds nice. I have the bass +6 and treble +1 and it's punchy without being boomy plus there's no door card rattle like others have mentioned, even when it's loud.

My mate has the upgraded Dynaudio system in his new VW Tiguan and he said mine sounded good.

·
Premium Member
2,071 Posts
I have both classic and 128GB flash drive. Both work perfectly, but prefer the flash drive, its a much neater solution and easier to navigate.

Standard stereo is really good too. I'm no audiophile, but I play it loud, and this is a very good standard set up. A nice bright stage, no boominess.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks guys, feeling like it should all work out now. I'm surprised navigating the usb is easier than the iPod. It's usually the opposite I've found. All good though. Cheers

·
Registered
710 Posts
Anyone know how to get the Album list whilst playing a track on a USB

I only seem to be able to get the name of the track playing but not the next few tracks

1 - 15 of 15 Posts