Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HI guys, i know this has probably been covered before but i couldnt find it.

I want to be able to connect my iPod, am i able to do this with the cable that comes with the iPod or do i need to buy something from Alfa? I can only presume i will have to buy something from Alfa but just wanted to check.

Thanks

·
Registered
153 Posts
You can just use your normal IPod cable :) I think the proviso is that your Ipod has to have been loaded by a PC not a Mac (as the car is using Window technology)

·
Registered
3,791 Posts
yes you can use your iPod usb lead, but make sure the songs on your iPod are in mp3 format as blue&me doesn't like mp4, also if you've bought music from iTunes its digitally protected & unless you've got the special software to do it you can't convert it to mp3 so won't be able to play it with blue&me, best bet is to get a usb flashdrive & put all your music on that in mp3, its also smaller & you won't mind leaving it in the car so much, out of view of course.

·
Registered
23 Posts
There are lots of misconceptions and misunderstandings about Blue&Me.

Hopefully, this will clear up many questions for many people:

[disclaimer - all of the comments below refer to Blue & Me software for Mito only, at time of writing:)]

Blue&Me works absolutely fine with any hard-disk (HDD and Flash) based iPods that run the iPod operating system (I think that's pretty much all iPods except the iPhone and iPod Touch). The reason these don't (yet) work is because they are essentially computers rather than iPods, and they run the Mac operating system - OSX.

You'll need a dock-connector-to-usb cable to plug your iPod into the B&M socket.

The only exception or caveat to the above, is that the iPod must be formatted with a Windows disk format. That means the iPod must be set up in iTunes on Windows. If you have a PC, that should be no problem. If you have a Mac, you'll need to borrow a mate's PC to format your iPod. Once you've done this, simply plug your iPod back into your Mac, and it will re-sync all your songs. If you download updates to the operating system, you'll need to repeat the re-format in Windows (but it was a good few months - maybe years since the last update I can remember for iPod classics).

Now to bust the myth about song formats! Blue&Me (in the Mito) is capable of playing many, many file types - including mp3, wmv, wav, mp4 and aac. Many people think that you cannot play songs bought in iTunes, or aac files over B&M - this is not true. You cannot play DRM protected songs from iTunes (and these happen to be aac files). However, you can play any iTunes-bought song in the iTunes+ format (DRM free, but also aac files). In fact, (almost) all iTunes files are now iTunes+ since the abolition of DRM protection in iTunes.

There is also a myth that aac is some kind of Apple proprietary format for songs - again this untrue. Aac is an open source audio format which in many respects is superior to wmv and mp3 - but since when did being the best mean being the most popular?

Hope this helps?:D

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
I was wondering, does the USB port in the car charge the ipod? As in does it supply power through the cable?
If it does, then you could potentially used other usb gadgets in the car, that would be cool. Like cup heaters or lights.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I was wondering, does the USB port in the car charge the ipod? As in does it supply power through the cable?
If it does, then you could potentially used other usb gadgets in the car, that would be cool. Like cup heaters or lights.
I would like to know this as well! Would be handy for me since i've currently misplaced my satnav charger and have only got the usb cable. Not much use if it dies on the road :)

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
OK you can use the usb to charge the ipod so i can only presume it would work for other things.
A note on the iPod... i have a 120gb almost full of music and as it seems to have to populate the library everytime its turned on i have given up on it... am going to get an 4 or 8gb memory stick

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
OK you can use the usb to charge the ipod so i can only presume it would work for other things.
A note on the iPod... i have a 120gb almost full of music and as it seems to have to populate the library everytime its turned on i have given up on it... am going to get an 4 or 8gb memory stick
that's cool! so your ipod never runs out of battery when you leave it in the car (for theives to take... not)

·
Registered
297 Posts
There are lots of misconceptions and misunderstandings about Blue&Me.

Hopefully, this will clear up many questions for many people:

[disclaimer - all of the comments below refer to Blue & Me software for Mito only, at time of writing:)]

Blue&Me works absolutely fine with any hard-disk (HDD and Flash) based iPods that run the iPod operating system (I think that's pretty much all iPods except the iPhone and iPod Touch). The reason these don't (yet) work is because they are essentially computers rather than iPods, and they run the Mac operating system - OSX.

You'll need a dock-connector-to-usb cable to plug your iPod into the B&M socket.

The only exception or caveat to the above, is that the iPod must be formatted with a Windows disk format. That means the iPod must be set up in iTunes on Windows. If you have a PC, that should be no problem. If you have a Mac, you'll need to borrow a mate's PC to format your iPod. Once you've done this, simply plug your iPod back into your Mac, and it will re-sync all your songs. If you download updates to the operating system, you'll need to repeat the re-format in Windows (but it was a good few months - maybe years since the last update I can remember for iPod classics).

Now to bust the myth about song formats! Blue&Me (in the Mito) is capable of playing many, many file types - including mp3, wmv, wav, mp4 and aac. Many people think that you cannot play songs bought in iTunes, or aac files over B&M - this is not true. You cannot play DRM protected songs from iTunes (and these happen to be aac files). However, you can play any iTunes-bought song in the iTunes+ format (DRM free, but also aac files). In fact, (almost) all iTunes files are now iTunes+ since the abolition of DRM protection in iTunes.

There is also a myth that aac is some kind of Apple proprietary format for songs - again this untrue. Aac is an open source audio format which in many respects is superior to wmv and mp3 - but since when did being the best mean being the most popular?

Hope this helps?:D
Quoted for truth, though AAC isn't opensource - it's just an open standard (different thing - but there are opensource implementations for AAC decoding/encoding).

Also don't really know about the B&M system in the MiTo, but in the 159 I found it quite quirky and left me totally unimpressed after using it for about a week. It's the small things that go wrong: having to plug it out and back in to let it detect the USB stick, taking a long time to scan the USB stick, it stubbornly always repeating the current track from time to time, the annoying voice recognition thing insisting on a command when you accidently push the voice command button, and when actually using it, it failed to recognise chained commands, you have to do it step by step and each time wait for the lady in the box to complete here sentence.
I never used the phone part, since it wasn't my car and didn't want to destroy the owner's configuration, so I can't say anything about that part, but the rest was annoying enough to convince me I should go for an aftermarket unit or aftermarket iPod kit instead of picking the B&M option.

Is the Blue&Me able to stream media from the iPhone via Bluetooth..?
Doubt it, the iPhone doesn't support audio streaming over bluetooth, even with upcoming 3.0 software update afaik, and B&M also doesn't support the BT stereo profiles I think

·
Registered
818 Posts
I use a Mac-based iPod touch which isn't compatible....so am quite content with using my funky little red Mito USB that I got with the car...holds quite alot of songs (its 1 GB)...

·
Registered
5 Posts
In case you haven't seen this thread there is a blue&me adaptor for iPods and iPhones which plays tracks from your iPod/IPhone and charges it. It makes B&M behave like an iPod docking station so doesn't need a specific set-up on the iPod and will play DRM music.

I just got mine and didn't need to do a software upgrade as it is a recently built car.

Cheers, Dave

·
Registered
41,769 Posts
i used my ipod but kept leavin it in the car so now use my little red mito usb....job done...:cheese:

·
Registered
112 Posts
Yep, I found the same and everytime it kind of gets so far and then stops :rant: so like you I've given up and I'm using my USB stick. I prefer the stick as it doesn't get in the way and no cable like the ipod :thumbs:

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
My ipod works straight away, just use the standard ipod cable and it charges it and plays it.

The only problem is selecting songs which takes a long time, and the random play mode isn't really random

1 - 20 of 42 Posts