Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well on June 17th Apple issue the new 3G OS 3.0 to replace 2.2.1. on the iPhone. The questions are:

1. Will it work with B&M ? - Remember the 2.0 - 2.1 Issues :rant:
2. Will it fix the iPod not playing on B&M? - Now there's a thought !!
3. Will it now charge from the USB port? - Hoping for too much now !!
4. Will Text Messages now be read out through B&M? - Maybe !

Well looks like the new version, and the new 3GS (out on 19th June) will support full MMS, plus new apps and interfaces which includes an official partnership with Tom Tom to turn it into a full Sat Nav, with new in car docking, voice commands, and Bluetooth connectivity to a car ICE ! All sounds very good to me...... Here's hoping !

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
I'm reluctant to upgrade after the problems we had last time!

It's working great at the moment but then I would like the MMS facility and the option to forward SMS.

I guess I'll just do it and keep everything crossed!

·
Registered
4,241 Posts
Totaly agree. Fingers crossed all. Recomend waiting 2 weeks for the bugs to be cleared out.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I've had the Beta of iPhone OS3 on my 3G for a couple of months now (I'm a registered iPhone Developer), and it seems fine to me. Couple of minor issues, but nothing I wouldn't expect from a beta. I'd like to think that the few issues there are will be sorted in the final release. I think that, because this time around dev's have had access for a while, the release will have had a lot more testing before release than OS2 did.

As far as I'm concerned Cut/Paste and the extra features in the SMS application are worth it on there own. I'm not as impressed with the 3GS announcement, and the fact that existing owners aren't being offered a reasonable upgrade path. I think I'll be sticking with the 3G till my contract's up.

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
I think the problems that Northern Spider, and certainly myself, is alluding to is not with the phone itself but more with the interface between the phone and Blue&Me.

Software version 2.2.0 just did not work fully with B&M despite assertions from various sources that it should but, hey presto, when 2.2.1 was released these problems disappeared.

I think it's fair to say that we're worried that the same sort of thing might happen again. :(

·
Registered
13 Posts
Not sure on issues with Blue & Me, but I do know a couple of the new bluetooth features of OS3 work great. I have an ioPlay kit (A2DP streaming interface) installed in my car, and OS3's new A2DP support means I can ditch the iPod/iPhone adapter that came with it.

Now I just get into the car press the button on the front of the ioPlay and my iPhone starts streaming audio (from where it left off) to the headset without me having to even take it out of my pocket. :) Drains the battery quickly while it's doing it though :( Hopefully they will improve the battery performance in the final release.

Does the Blue & Me support A2DP BT streaming?

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Is it me... ! You've lost me with the Techy jargon I'm afraid. Can you try your OS3 with a B&M car? Would be great if text messages worked now, and if the iPod feature can play when connected to the USB.

I'm more concerned we will lose the phone book again though....

N

·
0 Posts
No B&M does not support A2DP.

Wow, Apple finally put audio support on their MP3 player phone. :rolleyes:

Can you now send/receive files over bluetooth too?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Is it me... ! You've lost me with the Techy jargon I'm afraid. Can you try your OS3 with a B&M car? Would be great if text messages worked now, and if the iPod feature can play when connected to the USB.

I'm more concerned we will lose the phone book again though....
Apologies. I sometimes get carried away with my acronyms :) Unfortunately I don't know anyone with a B&M car so won't be able to test it. I'm not sure on the other issues, but I doubt the iPod will play via USB if it didn't before. All iPhones have been capable of performing that function (I've used 2 different head units that could do it without problem), so if it doesn't work it most be a missing implementation at the B&M end.

No B&M does not support A2DP.

Wow, Apple finally put audio support on their MP3 player phone. :rolleyes:

Can you now send/receive files over bluetooth too?
Send/Receive of files via bluetooth isn't available out of the box, but the api to implement it is available to developers now, so expect a raft of transfer/sync apps to appear in the App Store on OS3's release.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well I have to say there are some damned clever guys out there. What with Chris156's project and you and your API Developing...... I used to be quite 'up there' with Technology, but I'm afraid I can officially say I'm in a previous generation now, as I'm completely flumuxed by this new stuff..... Time for the pipe and slippers and to hand over the reigns ! I dread to think what I'll be like in another 10 years...(No feedback please !)

·
Registered
153 Posts
I am contemplating getting the iphone 3GS so I am pleased to hear that the preview of the new software seems to work well. Here's to hoping it transfers to B&M.

·
Registered
779 Posts
Maybe I have missed something but, isn't the 3GS the same as the 3G but with a faster processor and a new memory option (32GB)?
I did a compare of it and the 3G on the Apple site and those where the only changes I found that 3G owners won't get from the new firmware.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Maybe I have missed something but, isn't the 3GS the same as the 3G but with a faster processor and a new memory option (32GB)?
I did a compare of it and the 3G on the Apple site and those where the only changes I found that 3G owners won't get from the new firmware.
There are a couple of extra, subtle, differences as well. In addition to a faster processor, and extra storage, the 3GS will also have a hardware digital compass (should aid navigation apps), a better camera with video support and finally voice command support.

Not sure why the OS3 update doesn't add video & voice command support to a normal 3G, but I suspect it's more a case of Apple won't rather than they can't.

·
Registered
779 Posts
So , unless I am deluded enough to think that an iPhone is the only portable digital device I need in the world (i.e don't own a real camera , camcorder , tomtom etc) then, the 3GS isn't worth any more than the OS3.0 update ?

N

·
0 Posts
So , unless I am deluded enough to think that an iPhone is the only portable digital device I need in the world (i.e don't own a real camera , camcorder , tomtom etc) then, the 3GS isn't worth any more than the OS3.0 update ?
Shhh! Talk like that is going to get you a flamin'
from the Apple fanbois! :eek:

:lol:

·
Registered
726 Posts
Just want to get this straight before I go out and buy an Alpine head unit, there's no way to get music from my iPhone through either bluetooth or USB, even with OS 3 to my Blue and Me head unit?

·
Registered
779 Posts
Just want to get this straight before I go out and buy an Alpine head unit, there's no way to get music from my iPhone through either bluetooth or USB, even with OS 3 to my Blue and Me head unit?
Unknown at this time , until OS3.0 release version is in the wilds. At this time no you can't get music from iPhone to B&ME :(
That said , if that is your only gripe with the OEM headunit then, buy an iPod. More capacity than an iPhone, cheaper than a new headunit and doesn't have the hassles of relocating the B&ME unit (which is behind the lower half of the OEM headunit).

·
Registered
726 Posts
The iPhone is mega handy, you always have it with you. I don't have to remember to take it into the house to add stuff, but i would with an iPod, also having a charger from the head unit is good.

Will it play protected files from the iPod and video ok? I might just get one...

1 - 20 of 70 Posts