Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys

Just wondering if anyone can let me know of any iphone or car holders that can be put on the side of the 159 dashboard, instead of the windscreen.

i'm not looking at the ones you fit on the vents but i have seen this holder than fits on the side of the dashboard on other cars but have been told that they are car specific.

cheers

·
Registered
49 Posts
Whilst not meeting your requirement to fit to the side of the dashboard - I would recommend the Brodit iphone holder - see Buy a Brodit Proclip Vehicle Mount for the Alfa Romeo Brera | UK.

I had this in both my Brera and currently in my 159 - it's a great, custom designed piece of kit... a world away from the awful windscreen/suction mounted jobs. It's very solid and comes with the feelers to get the unit to clip between dash top and vent. It doesn't do any damage and holds the iphone (or whatever smart phone etc) as solid as a rock.

Note - you need to buy the initial proclip and separate iphone holder (about £35 both together I think)... you'll also need to drill the 4 small holes to the proclip (not the car) and screw in the particular phone holder...

I think this has come up before on the forum so do a further search for 'brodit' to get other opinions...

HTH

G

·
I'm using this:

Magnetic cell holder - Tetrax - XWAY line

Almost unnoticeable when not in use, and can be used with any case. The magnet is very powerful. I've placed the X on the center vent.
Hey Bobby.

I previously had the vent one, but it ended up breaking the vent. :(

I moved to the full magnetic one called FIXWAY instead of XWAY (see my link to the other thread for details)
and it works even better!!

SR saw my install a couple of weeks ago.

(I use the vent one for rental cars when I'm travelling now. ;) )

Good system. :thumbs:

·
Registered
78 Posts
I used to use one a bit like this a few years ago.

Samsung B6520 Omnia Pro S Magnetic phone holder

The small block glued to the dash, or wherever you wanted to put it, and then a slim magnet glued to the phone or phone cover. You just held the phone near the block and it would jump onto it and stay there. Fine if you don't mind sticking stuff to your dash or phone.

These days with Blue and me, I just leave my phone in my pocket.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Just a curious question......not anything strange, just interested....

But, if you have Blue&Me (and I appreciate not everyone has), why would you want a phone holder? I leave mine in my pocket. Just thinking that however good the solution with these (and I have had others on other cars for different phones), they are NEVER as good as the manufacturer says they are and always end up breaking, don't fit or ruin the dash. Unless you have a Blue&Me dongle of course, then I could understand it....

Just a thought and would be interested to know why people would need the holders. I nearly bought one until I realised that I actually didn't need it! lol! :)

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
I have the Brodit Proclip to the (left) side of the centre console, I think the one Nev has referred to.

Yes it bends the trim, but I don't see this as too much of a problem. I did file some of the edges on the Proclip which seemed a bit sharp and I didn't want to damage the aluminium centre console.

I got the one with the pass-through connector for the Griffin Powerjolt, which is wired-in to the cigarette lighter for power. Looks rather neat, even if I do say so myself :) And at 2.1A provides enough current to keep the iPhone charged while running Copilot. I'll try to remember to post photos.

·
Registered
253 Posts
I use the phone for GPS, Coyote Radar alert and also for BBC radio in the mornings.

;)
Ooh radar alert? On a phone? What phone you got and how do you get that? Sounds interesting and also pretty useful!

And BBC? Don't you get that on the radio? lol! Or you talking about digital channels?

·
Administrator
47,057 Posts
I seem to remember the 156 version did too - but I took the risk, and it fitted perfectly.

G

·
Ooh radar alert? On a phone? What phone you got and how do you get that? Sounds interesting and also pretty useful!

And BBC? Don't you get that on the radio? lol! Or you talking about digital channels?
iCoyote on Android.

BBC radio broadcasts don't reach this far south. ;)

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
I moved to the full magnetic one called FIXWAY instead of XWAY (see my link to the other thread for details)
and it works even better!!
Does the phone in itself stick? Or have to glue some magnetic stuff to it?
And does it stay stuck?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts