Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I'm about to buy a new Mito (very excited) - however, it appears that Blue&Me can't deal with iPhones. I'm not too bothered about the bluetooth call functionality (although it would be nice) - however, no A2DP on B&M, the Mac filesystem on iPhone and AAC files (which a lot of my music is in) seem to rule iPhones out completely.

So I guess my best bet is to not bother with B&M (which should save me a bit of money) and instead replace the head unit.

What would you recommend? I guess I'll need a 2 DIN unit and some sort of bracket to hold it in place as well.

Thanks in advance

Baz.

·
Registered
779 Posts
Nice units are the Pioneer AVIC F900BT (slow startup times) , Clarion MAX983HD (No Pre-Outs). Alpine , Kenwood and JVC also have nice options but can't remember the model numbers and I personally don't think they compare to the Pioneer/Clarion units. If you can do without pre-outs (for running external amplifiers) then the Clarion wins hands down by a mile in my opinion.

As for iPhone issues , the iPhone holds just enough music to make it a good 'personal' mp3 player but for a car 'music database' it is just too small. An iPod Classic with 120GB of storage will give plenty of room for all your music and a few movies (which once you have a 2 DIN media center headunit you will want).

As for music over Bluetooth and playing AAC files (specifically the protected ones bought from iTunes) I don't believe any of the headunits available will play them as its a limitation of the iPhone (not the headunits) to protect the DRM on the music. The best way to solve this is to record each CD bought on iTunes (thats protected content) to a CD-RW and then rip that CD back into iTunes as MP3. Use iTunes to make a playlist of the CD , open the playlist and in the bottom right corner is a 'Burn to CD' button. To rip the CD back as MP3 , just open your options and in the 'Import setttings' set it to import as MP3 192kbps.

Phone calls and your phonebook will work fine on B&ME or any of the mentioned aftermarket headunits , text messages won't (again because of a limitation of the phone , not the headunits)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for that.

But I was thinking of a head unit that can take the audio via the line pins and control the iphone using the dock connector (so the iPhone's playing the audio).

I've got too many AAC files (nearly all DRM free) to reencode as MP3 (plus I don't fancy starting from a lossy format to another lossy format - strikes me as similar as taking a copy of someone's tape instead of copying directly from the vinyl).

Thanks again.

N

·
0 Posts
Just buy a USB stick, put it in the car.

I don't see the point of leaving an expensive iPod in a car
for eager thieves when USB sticks are so cheap.

:confused:

Transcoding is an intensive form of data processing.
Guess what? That's what computers are for!! :D

Also if you buy new music from Amazon, there's no DRM. :thumbs:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Heh; it's my phone so stays with me wherever I go :) The trouble with a USB stick is it won't record the play count and skip counts - so screwing up my carefully designed smart playlists.

There's no DRM on anything on the iTunes store either (the record labels removed that requirement earlier in the year) - just that it's in AAC format (which is newer and more efficient than MP3 - but Microsoft does not support).

Anyway, the dealer's agreed to fit an ipod connect cable (from a Grande Punto) so it's not a problem now

Thanks for your help. Now I just need to wait for the car to arrive.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts