1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
5,559 Posts
Absolutely, then you wouldn't have to go to a garage to see what error code you've got. Only catch is, Alfa's OBD codes are non standard, so you would have to "acquire" those from somewhere!

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, I can imagine the bulk of the work would be developing a hardware interface and the app itself, to read the EOBD output, irrespective of the code.

Once there's an app that can receive the EOBD signal, the transformation from that into readble output is relatively trivial. (I emphasise the "relative" bit).

Getting the Alfa codes would be stumbling block, but I'd envisage the codes for different makes and models of vehicles to be downloadble to the app, so even if alfa wasn't available immediately, it could become so.

a

·
Registered
352 Posts
I think... all post 2001 cars that have EOBD will be standard codes shared accross all manufacturers... it was EU regulation?

Anyway, whilst in theory the iPhone or indeed any PDA type device could do this... AlfaDiag is your answer.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think... all post 2001 cars that have EOBD will be standard codes shared accross all manufacturers... it was EU regulation?

Anyway, whilst in theory the iPhone or indeed any PDA type device could do this... AlfaDiag is your answer.
AlfaDiag is "an" answer.. but an iPhone app can do far more than a dedicated tool, making it much easier to do things like save information, record settings ovr time and suchlike. I admit a lot of that might be gimicky, but it's the sort of thing I can imagine enthusiasts might like.

Ultimately, is it worth investigating further?

·
Registered
5,559 Posts
Nope. The AA can't read the codes on my 2007 Brera for some reason! Only Alfa Diag seems to be able to.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hmm.. while it is a "standard" there seems to be at least 4 different connectors, and a raft of variations based on the standard protocol, which need reversed engineered.

That being said, it seems to be a pretty standard serial protocol that's providing the data, so once you've obtained that it's "just" a matter of working out what the signals mean.

I'm seeing a bluetooth transmitter too, so the data can be gathered realtime without needing wires running all over the place

a

·
Registered
5,559 Posts
Yep most of the current gen cars cars have bluetooth on them as part of the Blue and Me telephone and audio system, is this that you are seeing? I don't think there's another bluetooth connection but I could be wrong...

·
Registered
953 Posts
I would consider it to, Rev is ok but it only monitors performance information and does not read error codes etc I believe - I may be wrong as I don't own it.

Another issue is I believe the Rev OBD hardware is rather expensive.

However a dedicated Alfa App would be so handy especially if it can do as much as alfadiag can.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts