Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 145 Posts

·
Registered
5,621 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
ok so does anybody else agree with me that the Ipad is rediculously overpriced for what it is, i mean a friend just got one and it was £400 for only 16gb memory and wi-fi only the question of why has to be asked when a laptop can be picked up for like £250 that does all the ipad does and more, they have no disc drives fairly limited processing power very limited storage i just don't get it i really don't??? so could someone kindly explain it please ;)

·
Premium Member
19,119 Posts
Nope. I don't get it either. And I say that as an Iphone and Ipod user :)

·
Registered
5,621 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i find the Iphone expensive as well ;) :lol:

for example when i looked at upgrading my contract with Orange

my phone Google Nexus S -600 mins unlimited texts 750mb data phone cost £0
Iphone 4 - 250 mins - 1000 texts - 500mb data phone cost £225!!!!

and yes that was the same contract over 24 months

·
Premium Member
19,119 Posts
How much does that cost you?

·
Registered
5,621 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
it's on the panther 35 contract so should be £35 a month but because i was upgrading i got a £5 per month discount as a loyal customer :lol: so it's only £30 a month, truth be told i don't use anywhere near the allowance of minutes or anything the max data i used 1 month was 511mb but thats only cause i was streaming a F1 race when i was at work, i just wanted a fancy phone :lol:

·
Registered
15,172 Posts
Nope. I don't get it either. And I say that as an Iphone and Ipod user :)
Me neither - and I've had three iPhones and currently have a MacBook :lol:
i find the Iphone expensive as well ;) :lol:

for example when i looked at upgrading my contract with Orange

my phone Google Nexus S -600 mins unlimited texts 750mb data phone cost £0
Iphone 4 - 250 mins - 1000 texts - 500mb data phone cost £225!!!!

and yes that was the same contract over 24 months
Ah, but expensive doesn't mean rubbish. It just means you can't afford it. ;) :p

·
Registered
Giulia Quad, Cayman GT4, Cayenne Turbo
23,458 Posts
Me neither - and I've had three iPhones and currently have a MacBook :lol:
Ah, but expensive doesn't mean rubbish. It just means you can't afford it. ;) :p
:lol:

Sent from my iPhone4 :D

·
Registered
5,621 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i agree expensive doesn't mean rubbish but my point is there are other phones out there that do pretty much exactly the same thing for a much lower price, i know this because my gf has the iphone i have googles interpretation of it and other than slight differences in operating systems they do basically the exact same thing

·
Registered
5,621 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
anyway :lol: my beef here isn't with the Iphone ( been there done that ) it's the Ipad :lol:

·
Premium Member
19,119 Posts
it's on the panther 35 contract so should be £35 a month but because i was upgrading i got a £5 per month discount as a loyal customer :lol: so it's only £30 a month, truth be told i don't use anywhere near the allowance of minutes or anything the max data i used 1 month was 511mb but thats only cause i was streaming a F1 race when i was at work, i just wanted a fancy phone :lol:
Ah that might be why. I pay £42, 900mins unlimited texts and unlimited internet. phone was free.

N

·
0 Posts
It's all about marketing hype and the Jobsian Cult.
People in a cult are willing to part with their hard-earned.

:p

If I wanted an iP4one current prices are:

Black 16Gb €614,90
Black 32Gb €724,90

These are the subsidised prices. For a telephone.

To put that into perspective I bought a Sim-unlocked SonyEricsson Xperia Mini Pro for £250
and a SIM-locked Samsung Galaxy Pro for €14 last month.

Anyone looking for a portable device should check out my Asus Eeeeepad Transformer thread before
handing over their readies. ;)

R

·
0 Posts
£400 for only 16gb memory and wi-fi only the question of why has to be asked when a laptop can be picked up for like £250 that does all the ipad does and more, they have no disc drives fairly limited processing power very limited storage i just don't get it i really don't??? so could someone kindly explain it please ;)
In fairness these aren't criticisms specific to the iPad and can in fact be levelled at tablet computers of all kinds. If you have/can find a need for tablet computing then these care very powerful, useful and liberating devices, if not they'll always pale when compared on a £ for £ basis with a laptop computer running a "full" oS.

To hopefully head off any claims of bias in the past few months I have bought the following tablets. I've listed the prices so that you can see that on a spec for spec basis they all broadly cost about the same.

Ipad 2 64b 3G @ £659

HTC Flyer 3G 7" Android @ £599

Asus Transformer Android @499 inc keyboard

Sony Tablet S 32GB Android @ £479

The Flyer I'm selling, the Asus I gave to the inlaws and the Sony I'm keeping for general use about the house but the one I keep going back to and use day in day out is the iPad.

From my perspective it's nothing to do with cults (although I struggle not to call those who persist with this BS a word which is similarly written at times :rolleyes:) but the fact that iOs is the best supported and smoothest tablet OS out there at present. Android is potentially great but massively fragmented and has very few apps specifically written for Honeycomb which is the tablet version. On top of that the Android market is a car crash in terms of user friendliness.

N

·
0 Posts
From my perspective it's nothing to do with cults (although I struggle not to call those who persist with this BS a word which is similarly written at times :rolleyes:)
Have you visited the Apple Store in Cupertino? :confused:

:eek:

:lol:

R

·
0 Posts
Yes.

But I didn't drink the Kool Aid.

In truth I found it no better or worse than any of the other stores I've been to around the world. The whole we're so achingly cool but not trying to be honestly and So-Cal it hurts thing pervades most of the consumer centric tech world doesn't it ? Not my cup of tea but not an entirely Apple thing either is it ? Have you ever been for a meeting with anybody at a Google office ?

N

·
0 Posts
... I'm not so sure....

(Fry's isn't like that. ;) Although it is frequented by some quite scary people. :eek: )

E

·
0 Posts
I don't get them, and couldn't be happier now I have switched away from my iPhone 3GS and gone to an android phone. It was nice putting the battery in the phone and seeing a micro SD card that can be swapped out by me.

1 - 20 of 145 Posts