Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I have a problem with my Alfa 155 1.8 8 valves... when a circulate with the, I can see that the light injection system turned on, when I raise the foot of the accelerator, the light is now off... but this passes many times, the problem is intermittent, I have changed sparkplugs, and the filter of gasoline, but the continuous problem... the car does not have a great deal of power to rise slopes, there is thatto rise them in first gear at 4,000rpm, there I read on the forum thats the problem can be LAMBDA, ¿is certain?, many thanks and sorry for my (very...) bad english, thants!

W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Hello and welcome :D

The lambda sensor causes most problems for 155's but also the water temperature sensor on the thermostat.

The injector light is a common problem and difficult to cure!

wrinx

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hello wrinx and thanks!!

How can I verify if the sensor of water temperature is bad?. I think thats the water temperature is OK because the Temp indicator apparently is correct!!. The inyecction light turn ON when the water temperature is over 80º... :\

I create that I changed first the sensor Lambda, it can be dirty because when buy the car, had 89,000km and ¡¡ never they had changed the sparkplugs!!

If that it does not it fix, I changed the sensor of water temperature, many thanks for all :)

W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The water temperature sensor is not the same as the temperature guage sender. Your guage may read ok but still be a fault with the sensor.

wrinx

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
LAMBDA, ¿is certain?, many thanks and sorry for my (very...) bad english, thants! /QUOTE

It's time to change the lambda sensor!
The easiest to way to check whether it's gone is to go to a Alfa mechanic and connect it to a diagnostic machine. Shouldn't cost a lot (10-20 euro).

Other sings can be:
-a distinct smell coming from the exhaust
-idle (especially with a cold engine) is bit wild :D
-less miles per galon eek! , less power :(

Service interval for a lambda sensor of that generation is 120.000km (Bosch) and costs about 60-90 euro.

l8er

W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The "egg" or sulphur smell from the CAT is normal and a product of the chemical reaction that is happening.

If the engine is suffering from erratic revs and using more fuel this could be the lambda or water temperature sensor on the thermostat or the thermostat.

Lambda first for me though wink

wrinx

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Originally posted by wrinx:
normal and a product of the chemical reaction that is happening.

I was thinking about out of the ordinary smell (due to the incorrect mixture). Anyways, any egg smell (or stronger smell) is a bad sign (CAT).

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
wrinx sorry, I don't know this of the water temperature!, thanks!!

Sinister sorry, but I'dont speak english, and this is too dificult for my :(

A lof thanks for all!! :)

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ah!!! , when I bought the car with 89,000km, this have the original sparkplugs!! when I change it, the old sparkplugs was undone (on very bad state), can be this the cause of the lambda sensor failure?

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Originally posted by David155:
Sinister sorry, but I'dont speak english, and this is too dificult for my :( /QUOTE

Your lambda sensor needs to be replaced.
Go to a Alfa mechanic and connect your car to a computer to be sure! Doesn't cost a lot.

Replacing it is easy and doesn't cost a lot either (below 100euro!)

l8er

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Sinister ok! but the problem is intermitent, if I leave the car on the Alfa mechanics, and the light not turned on, the computer can show the fail? I read if I don't got the original Alfa Key (Master Key) cannot be access/modified the ECU :\ , it's true this?, thanks!

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The ECU has eprom in which to store the errors.
They are cleared if you disconnect the battery, if the workshop clears them with their tester, or if you start your car 60 and something times.
(or probably if you get 10+ errors old ones get discarded :) )

And to my knowledge the workshop does not need the master key to reset the codes. But however you might need it if you decide to reset the ecu by disconnecting the battery to input all your keys into the "ALFA CODE" (if you have it).

Jaka

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I don't know this Jaka, thanks!

When I can, i'll go to Alfa mechanics and connect the car to the computer :)

A lot of thanks everybody help me!

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hey, now the light is always OFF!! and the problem desapeer!

I changed the water temperature sensor on the thermostat, it's cost about 7€, and the car runs fine when its heat and cool :)

Thanks very much!!

Great site, great people, and great car!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts