Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
13,815 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1. Did you interface with the OBD port or if not, how did you access the car’s ecu?

This car cannot be tuned via the OBD port. We remove the ecu from the car and have to bench flash it. Its all safe. If done the way I do it the factory will not even know. Also it leaves no flash counter on the ecu J. No soldering is required at all. We have a special tool that touches the board and retrieves all the info we need to tune the car

2. That car is already boosting quite high as per news we heard from the dealerships, how true this is I’m not sure. But seeing that you have remapped it you would know better. In the DNA mode the standard car’s boost is increased, with your remap, how much was the boost standard and by how much did you increase it, also does the boost increase more in Dynamic mode?

Yes they do run a little high. We only increase boost around 0.2bar in the midrange and around 0.1bar at the redline. We also do not extend the factory rev limiter which is around 6000rpm…..

The boost increase is in both normal and dynamic modes…..with dynamic being much more noticeable. The Boost increase is carried over in both modes as per 0.2bar in normal and 0.2bar in dynamic from stock

3. That car has no traction controll switch…how does that interfere with a good clean run that we would normaly do with the traction controll off?

The car automatically sense’s its on a dyno and adjust’s the T/C…….we could take 10 back to back rubs with no interference from the T/C

4. How difficult was it to build a map for a car that no one would normally touch in SA as its not popular let alone popular to modify?

It was a little tricky but because we affiliated to some very good tuners in Europe especially Italy we were pointed in the right direction as to which map’s to modify etc. So thanks to our Italian connection it saved us a lot of trouble.

5. How is the car running after the remap?

All 4 cars done now are perfect with no hassles..i think u spoke to the one owner already?

6. I understand it only has the software, no hardware mods what are the gains with software only?

Gains were car dynoed in stock at 183 kw and 362nm after tuning 203 kw 410nm

60nm more available till around 4500rpm then starts to bleed off, 20kw right through the RPM band

7. Did you tune it for reliable power or did you go for all out power?

We always want reliable cars for our customers because the last thing I want is a customers car in my shop more than what he drives it!. That has been my moto for 14yrs of running this business!

We had the car on 214kw and 438nm, but the EGT’s were to high for a car running on 95 ULP hence we turned it down in aid of reliability and drivability.

8. With this achievement, will you be able to tune the 1.4 Turbo motors as well?

Yes for sure…..i had a GT 1.9 JTD Saturday and later in the afternoon a Mito came around…..so the Mito will be our next tuning project on the Alfa platform

9. How easy is it to remove the map/software and how easy is it for the dealerships to spot that the car’s ecu has been altered with?
Well if the ecu is opened badly then very easy to spot….. I however take around 35min’s just to open the ecu which leaves no trace’s it has been opened

(atleast from what I can see). To remove the ecu is fairly easy. The only way the dealership COULD see is if they themselves remove the ecu to check it… But that too will take a very keen eye and very bad workmanship

10. For a 1750cc engine…what do you think about the mechanicals of the engine and its components, usually software tuners know the engines they are working with and its capabilities, this being a new engine with new components and I’m asuming new to you as a VAG lover, how did you determine what levels you can increase the Boost/Timing/Feuling without it going bang?

Well first things I am not a VAG lover…. They just became bulk of our market due to the good tuning and aftersales we were offering!

We discussed the tuning with various other Alfa tuners whom we know in Europe, and as to what they have done before we embarked on tuning our Alfa. The most important thing to us was not to break the car but to have it running reliable, hence we took the knowledge that was shared with us and used all the data we logged on the dyno to build our own map. As said early we do not chase for max power but a reliable car!

11. Its almost a month now since you’ve handed the car over to the client and the news spread like wild fire, not only to Alfa networks in SA but I can confirm many other car enthusiasts knew about this…have you been getting any more interest for this map for the Giulietta QV or any Alfa for that matter?

The thing is we have been mapping a few GT 1.9JTD’s of recent…..customer’s are very happy with our tuning as they know from references that we do not over extend the cars to make numbers for dyno days…..the biggest problem we have in SA is fuel/diesel quality…… We tune around what is available in SA not in Europe.

Yes as said before we have done 4 QV’s now…..i am not sure where the reference’s are coming from though

I will be concentrating on the MITO model shortly!

12. I know you have done a GT 1.9 Diesel before, do you see yourself becoming a software tuner for Alfa Romeo’s too?

Well we cater for most cars in the market……..Alfa for one we can do no sweat but we will only concentrate on the turbo and turbo diesel models

Especially now with the demand for Alfa tuning. I think I might have an ECU being sent from JHB for a 156 1.9JTD to be tuned this week….no confirmation yet

·
Registered
7,627 Posts
Thats because noone is a vag lover

·
Registered
10,929 Posts
I've now heard a couple of horror stories from a couple of VAGs... Apparently two blew turbos a short while after being mapped, and one was caught out having had his ecu flashed so some people are claiming that we stay away from Amien! :(

I hate hearsay or to bring bad news so I'll have to go and visit him some time to see the place for myself!

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
If the cars that blew turbos were TDI's you can't blame him,
those cars are known for blowing turbos.
It could even be that the cars were out of warranty and they were suspect of the turbo so its a easy way out to blame someone else.
Just saying its a possibility, don't know these okes from a bar of soap.

·
Registered
7,047 Posts
The Diesel vags use minute turbo’s and physically break the casings when they get old.
The petrol vags also use smallish turbo’s so over spooling is a concern especially on an old turbo and personally I think the KKK turbo’s they use (or used ) are crap.

I am sure the people did not elaborate on the state of there cars before the remap either.

·
Registered
13,815 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I just had to revive this little interview, I failed to remember they did 4 GQV's...

I will try and get the details of those 4 cars and ask them how happy they are with the software thus far...STO it is dude...

·
Registered
10,929 Posts
One of the guys is Rush's brother. PM him and find out :thumbs: Oh and they did much more than 4 by now. The other day a black GQV came flying past me with a huff and a chuff and was followed by a red one. I don't remember when last I saw two Alfas passing me at such high speeds!:D

·
Registered
13,815 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
damn ian you had to chase them down and ask!!! Cape Town as always been known as Alfa Romeo haven, then after than its PTA.

I spoke to Mubeen this morning, he says the car is still running fine, its definately quicker than standard he said and he said he noticed a drop in fuel consumption...

·
Registered
13,815 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
No only STO software why?

Those QV's you saw racing tell bus more, you have to get those guys!

·
Registered
2,985 Posts
I've now heard a couple of horror stories from a couple of VAGs... Apparently two blew turbos a short while after being mapped, and one was caught out having had his ecu flashed so some people are claiming that we stay away from Amien! :(

I hate hearsay or to bring bad news so I'll have to go and visit him some time to see the place for myself!
Speaking of VAG horrors, another strike for the golf 6, apparently the Golf 6 R and the 35 edition have golf 5 tuned engines, so only the Normal Golf 6 GTI has a new engine, buuuut my point is whats going on with the new engine then, i think they built it cheaper and thus is probly gonna break quickly when tuned because theres no tuning potential really left in it? :confused:

·
Registered
13,815 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yes dude,go to their website they did many diesels...

Yes, the Golf 6 R basically has an S3 engine, the Ed 35 basically has aa TFSi(G5 GTi)engine with a ko4 turbo...

·
Registered
13,815 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I've been thinking of a diesel for my wife...147 but they are skaars

·
Registered
10,929 Posts
I've just noticed something: The STO tuned Giulietta's dyno sheet has some irregularities:

1. Power correction was -2 for the tuned run (run 2) and -3 for the untuned run.
2. The untuned run is showing as "run 4" and dated a day after the tuned run?

The power correction could be due to different weather conditions on the two days, but why do the untuned run a day after the tuned run?

http://www.evoperformance.co.za/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/dyno_smaller.png

I do know Dynotech does good work and their dyno is top rated so I'm not trying to stor the pot, just inquisitive!:rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,985 Posts
Yes dude,go to their website they did many diesels...

Yes, the Golf 6 R basically has an S3 engine, the Ed 35 basically has aa TFSi(G5 GTi)engine with a ko4 turbo...
Ya, i read in the speed and sound those to have G5 engines and was just like HUH?! :confused:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts