Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
17,564 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did anyone else see Talhotblond last night on C4?

The American documentry (from 2009) is about an Internet love triangle which resulted in a real life murder in a case called the "Internet Chatroom Murder". Thomas Montgomery (screen name: marinesniper), a 47-year-old married man, pleaded guilty to murdering his co-worker, 22-year-old Brian Barrett (screen name: beefcake). The two men were involved in a love triangle with "Jessi", a beautiful 18 year old girl whose screen name was talhotblond. While the two men knew each other from work, neither ever met "Jessi" in person. Ultimately, the truth comes to light: while "Jessi" was a real person, it was in fact her scary looking mother, Mary Shieler, who was posting online as "talhotblond" and pretending to be her daughter, who was oblivious to her mother's actions. She claimed to be ''bored''.

Brian Barrett's parents are now fighting for "Internet accountability" laws, in the hopes that it would make Mary Shieler's actions illegal.

K

·
0 Posts
I can't help thinking that the internet isn't really to blame here.

Brian got killed by Thomas over a woman neither of them had ever met. I conclude from this that Thomas is a bit of a head-the-ball and would have probably ended up killing someone over something (probably a parking space or a too-tall leylandi) at some point regardless.

G

·
0 Posts
The fact he used marinesniper as a user name would have raised alarm bells. Loony alert!!!

·
Registered
17,564 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Brian got killed by Thomas over a woman neither of them had ever met. I conclude from this that Thomas is a bit of a head-the-ball and would have probably ended up killing someone over something (probably a parking space or a too-tall leylandi) at some point regardless.
You have to see the documentry.

Thomas was a bit of a loose cannon anyway IMO but ''Jessi'' played the guys against each other in the most terrible way and as she masqueraded as her daughter (also sending photos of Jessi) I believe she should be accountable for what she did.

P

·
0 Posts
You've gotta watch yourself out there. A few years back I got police involved in two countries to try and stop a truly crazy lunatic of a woman that I was never involved with in any way at all, apart from daring to criticize her to some degree on a fashion forum of all places.

I won't get into the gory details but her husband is a very rich, well known lawyer that had no idea what she was up to. She had private detectives check out my RL details and contacted my US partners with some amazing stories none of them true in the slightest. My US partners were totally on my side and laughed the whole thing off. She was a perfect example of somebody addicted to the 'net and she tried this revenge trick on numerous people. Unfortunately I have a surname that is very unique and anybody googling me would easily find the lies and defamation/libel she spread about me. Not so much now. I managed to clean up a lot of it and Google were very helpful when they discovered her reputation.

Well apparently she picked on some nutters that were even crazier than her and they got together and made her life a living hell. Last I heard, it cost her the marriage. She deserved it, being one of the major kooks on the net. If I gave out her various nicks there are literally thousands of hits for her. You gotta be careful. :eek:

·
Registered
594 Posts
I saw it, it was very interesting!

I don't want to look like I'm defending her because what she did was disgusting, but she didn't pull the trigger and she didn't ask Thomas to shoot or even hurt Brian.

Thomas has to account for his actions, he must have some mental problems if he got so infatuated with someone he's never met. I don't accept the "She made me do it" excuse, and if the courts did, it would open the door to all these domestic murders where a bloke (99% of the time it is a bloke) goes off and kills his family and says "She made me do" because if this that or the other. Grow a pair of balls and tell her to F-Off if she does your nut in, and move on!

·
Registered
17,564 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
You've gotta watch yourself out there. A few years back I got police involved in two countries to try and stop a truly crazy lunatic of a woman that I was never involved with in any way at all, apart from daring to criticize her to some degree on a fashion forum of all places.

I won't get into the gory details but her husband is a very rich, well known lawyer that had no idea what she was up to. She had private detectives check out my RL details and contacted my US partners with some amazing stories none of them true in the slightest. My US partners were totally on my side and laughed the whole thing off. She was a perfect example of somebody addicted to the 'net and she tried this revenge trick on numerous people. Unfortunately I have a surname that is very unique and anybody googling me would easily find the lies and defamation/libel she spread about me. Not so much now. I managed to clean up a lot of it and Google were very helpful when they discovered her reputation.

Well apparently she picked on some nutters that were even crazier than her and they got together and made her life a living hell. Last I heard, it cost her the marriage. She deserved it, being one of the major kooks on the net. If I gave out her various nicks there are literally thousands of hits for her. You gotta be careful. :eek:
Thanks for sharing, PT. She sounds a proper headcase.

Sounds like she got her just desserts - what goes around comes around!

·
Registered
28,482 Posts
I set the PVR to record this, as the write up looked fascinating, so after reading all the comments on here, I can't wait to see it now, hopefully tonight !!!!!.........:thumbs:

·
Registered
8,661 Posts

This is very true:thumbs:

Meeting people on the net is fraught with danger and you need to be very careful when blurring the lines between a 'net friendship' and a friendship in real life.

When VD initially suggested we meet, I made damn sure he was exactly who he said he was. I'm quite good on the net (in fact he now calls me his 'little stalker';)), and found out as much as I possibly could about him. I wouldn't have dreamt of meeting him without doing that - and we did the whole meeting in a public place thing.

However - it can be argued that this is safer than just meeting in a pub/club, for example. I knew much more about him by the time we met than I would have done if we had met in a more conventional way.

These two men weren't 'played', they allowed themselves to be manipulated, presumably because it was exciting. No-one but the killer 'made' him do it, that was his choice, and his alone.

·
Registered
17,564 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
The accountability laws passed would make Mary Shieler's actions illegal, although I believe Thomas Montgomery was rightly charged with the murder, there is no doubt of that.

This deranged mother pretenteded to be her own daughter and used her beauty to 'hook' the two men and then proceeded to play/manipulate them in the most disturbing was possible. It is obvious that the older of the two was obsessive by nature from what the documentry showed (which she fuelled) and kept going back to each of them with lies about the other. At one point ''Jessi'' and Brian humiliated Thomas. Thomas did warn he would ''do something stupid'' which of course, he did. She should not get off scot free.

I find it unbelievable that there is no law to punish those who pose as someone else and behave in this way. If a law had been in place, maybe a young man with his whole life ahead of him would still be alive today.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts