Alfa Romeo Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys, my parents are going to Europe for a trip, France, Switzerland and Croatia next week. Do they need an international driver licence? The one that you get from AA? I think it cost R265.00. Anyone did that?

·
Registered
4,196 Posts
No, you don't need it. It's basically a con. It's not a legal document, it's simply a translation of the information on your driver's license. Basically, the only reason to have it is to ensure that the one person you may meet who cannot read the basic English on your license, will be able to understand.

Anyone you rent a car from in Switzerland, France or Croatia will be able to understand English. Ergo, you don't need to pay the AA for a worthless little booklet.

Source of knowledge: Personal experience renting cars in Europe. I've never even been asked for an "international license" by anyone.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Okay, so it is just a translation document?
It does not authorize you to drive in Europe?

Hmmmm, maybe just leave it.

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
yes, 100% it is just a certified translation into Spanish, French and a few other mainstream languages. dont bother.

as long as you are a resident of the country from which you hold your licence it's accpetable. promise.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Not sure, about Croatia thou. I am sure The Swiss do speak English and the French can speak English too. Just that they will pretend that they can't. Hehe

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
I go to the Czech Republic once a year and so far my SA drivers license was sufficient to rent a vehicle
Driving on the left is another issue for me so most the time I just use public transport.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.