Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone else come accross this problem on the spider, when I switch the wipers on to intermittent they work ok for a few strokes and then struggle sometimes even stopping, however when they are on full they work as expected any help would be appreciated:cry:

·
Registered
700 Posts
Mine did this for a while, and then in great Alfa tradition, just fixed themselves and it never happened since...!??

Try cycling the wipers from full speed to slow and back again a few times - I have a completely unfounded and unproven "spreading the lubricant" theory about that fixing my own....

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hmm, I'll give it a try, but these must be the worse type of fault ever. Sometimehey work sometimes they dont, same with my indicators, sometimes they're on sometimes they're not:)

·
Registered
435 Posts
My wipers do this as well. I've grown used to it now, I just figured, they're called 'intermittent' for a reason - maybe Alfa interpret that a little differently than we do :lol: :cheese:

·
Regional Support, For Lincolnshire - AOL
16,368 Posts
they're called 'intermittent' for a reason - maybe Alfa interpret that a little differently than we do :lol: :cheese:
:lol: :lol: :lol: Perhaps we should start a dictionary " Alfanese to English " !

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Yep I had this problem when it was on the slowest setting. I moved it up to faster and it cured itself. It hasn't done it again since..

·
Registered
77 Posts
Intermittent and random wiper operation is common. Usually on slow or delay selection - blades only travel part way or stop mid stroke.

This is usually a problem in the wiper motor electrical limit switch tracks. (grease spreading & contamination). Cleaning and careful regreasing can fix it for a while. (See many earlier threads)

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Lo and behold mine recently started playing tricks on me again! what a surprise! :lol:

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Mine does it as well. A friend who is an automotive electrician metioned something to do with a faulty 'wiper park sensor?'. He said its an easy fix, but like everything you keep putting it of till next time it rains!

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Yea makes sense as the sensor probably has muck on it and so thinks the wiper is in a positiion it's not, hence why it gets stopped halfway up your screen. Anyone know the position of the sensor?

·
Registered
13,163 Posts
My GTv does this too. Today was special - the wipers only did a vertical swipe, had a bit of a rest, then came back down again. Cleary this is an amazing piece of design for one or two spots of rain / really light drizzle.

Anyway I’ve done a very brief search off this forum using the words intermittent and wipers and it looks like cleaning the contacts is the thing to do. The two bits of advice I found were:

1. You take the wipers / scuttle panel / linkage off, removing the motor, and cleaning the excess grease from the contacts under the cover at the end of the motor. Took about 2 hrs the first time and only an hour the second time 2 years later...

2. If it happens only in very cold weather, more than likely the grease in the motor's gearbox is starting to solidify slightly. The contacts on the gear which pass the current on the intermittent setting cannot then cut through the grease.

Valeo who makes this particular motor should have used an electrical grade grease but many manufacturers try to get away with a general purpose grease because it’s a fraction of the cost. Cleaning the contacts and bending the contacts very silghtly to increase the pressure on the gear should help the situation.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Sure enough the wipers work better once the car engine, and probably in turn the wiper motor unit, have warmed up a bit. Sounds like a bit of hassle to fix but will have a go some time soon.

·
Registered
402 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
I had the same on my 156 - the wipers would sometimes stop mid-sweep when on intermittent - until one day, at Brands Hatch when it was hissing down of course, they stopped altogether. The man at my local garage muttered "sensor park relay" (as suggested above), and fitted a secondhand wiper assembly for £20-ish plus half an hours labour. Worked perfectly.

Now my GTV has started doing the same so my man's looking out for a wiper unit for him. He dismissed the clean-and-lube suggestion as too temporary, although I suspect the same could easily be true of secondhand parts. Goood luck with it.

Cheers,

·
Registered
13,163 Posts
Me also!

Starkers, you appear to be ontop of this common problem!? would you or anyone be able to recommend a suitable grease as a replacement...have just typed "electrical grade grease" into google and as a result am more confused:confused:

kARMA>

What about this? or does it need to be the thick and guey variety?
White Spray Grease > Maplin
Sorry Karma, I only copied and pasted a post (from 2006!) I had seen from someone called Sunbar on a thread called "intermittent intermittent wipers". Don't know if he or she is still on here, or able to help, maybe try sending a PM?

·
Registered
402 Posts
i had same thing so l took off motor and found a broked solder joint on the pcb inside this cured it
Thanks hotwings, i must after reading this take my motor out and have a good look, my problem is evident when its raining but when it was cold and not raining the other day they worked fine:confused: So! it appears that rain is my problem and not the cold:confused:

kARMA.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Hi all,
Has anyone removed the scuttle panel and wipers to get at the wiper unit. I had a look at doing mine today and the wipers would not come off when I removed the nuts holding them. Just seem to be stuck. Added some Plus Gas to see if it would loosen them off but they won't budge. Any suggestions.

Thanks.

Alex.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts