Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ideas on what this is appreciated:

Recently when try to start my 156 2.4jtd all seems fine when glowplugs are warming. When I then turn the key to start the car all electrics cut out. I suspect there's a loose connection somewhere because if I open and close the door the electrics usually come back. Sometimes the car will then start, sometimes it won't.

Anyone got any ideas on the simple things that might be causing this before I end up having to get the AA out, who in turn will go :tut:and throw it at an autoelectrics person...

·
Registered
9,912 Posts
check battery for good connection and check earths on engine and body are sound first,
might be good idea to get aa out if your not sure ,might be simple diagnosis

·
Registered
656 Posts
Ideas on what this is appreciated:

Recently when try to start my 156 2.4jtd all seems fine when glowplugs are warming. When I then turn the key to start the car all electrics cut out. I suspect there's a loose connection somewhere because if I open and close the door the electrics usually come back. Sometimes the car will then start, sometimes it won't.

Anyone got any ideas on the simple things that might be causing this before I end up having to get the AA out, who in turn will go :tut:and throw it at an autoelectrics person...
I had the same problem, ignition barrel power connector was at fault. Took it apart and sprayed cleaner cleaned contacts, problem has never returned.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for your help, as always guys.

It SEEMS to be fixed. Had a look through the fusebox by steering wheel (figured fault could be in here cos slamming door was helping before). Fuse 12 on the upper rack of fuses controls big stuff like CODE system and general big electrics. It seemed a bit loose. Poked it back in and all OK for 5 or so start.

alid1 - if the prob returns I'll give your trick a go. :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts