Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I've posted this before, but thought that the cause might be the fact that I ran out of petrol when I bought the car, and coasted into a petrol station..... and one of the suggestions was to try an injection cleaner in case 'crud' had got into the injectors.

Well, I bought some costly injection cleaner additive (safe for turbos) and added to a full tank of fuel, and 200kms later, no improvement.

To explain again, through 3rd, 4th and 5th when putting the pedal to the metal, there is intemittent loss of power at the high end of the revs, around 5000rpm onwards (give or take a few hundred revolutions - difficult to pinpoint exactly when concentrating on driving!). there aren't any sudden jolts in loss of power, just consecutive 'fades' that each lasts milliseconds but carry on until close to max revs. This doesn't occur under gradual (but still quick) acceleration just when you want to use considerable power.

This issue doesn't seem to be the same as similar issues in the forum, so I would appreciate any input here..... BTW, recently the car was checked on a diagnostic and I am told that no codes were showing....

·
Registered
36 Posts
Thought I would just add that I was having some problems like you describe, swapped to super unleaded and runs a million times better.. all the hesitation has gone through the rev range, cheers

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I take it not a MAF sensor? As this doesn't necessarily show up on diagnostic.
Well, they told me the MAF was fine, so I didn't ask whether it showed up on the diagnostic.

The MAF on a 2 litre V6 Turbo is a solid piece of kit, not prone to issues like the MAF's on the TS models.... Plus it costs a shed load more than the MAF from the TS....

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Baring in mind it is free to do so and ten minutes of work (if that) remove the connector from the sensor and run the car disconnected from it and see how it runs without MAF.

The diagnositc machines only tend to pick up sensor faliures when they are at the most extreme in many cases.

I'm not saying it is this but as its such a simple thing to do why not.

Alternatively I'd look to the Lambda sensors as with age they slow down and at the worst fuelling can be made completely out by them.

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Baring in mind it is free to do so and ten minutes of work (if that) remove the connector from the sensor and run the car disconnected from it and see how it runs without MAF.

The diagnositc machines only tend to pick up sensor faliures when they are at the most extreme in many cases.

I'm not saying it is this but as its such a simple thing to do why not.

Alternatively I'd look to the Lambda sensors as with age they slow down and at the worst fuelling can be made completely out by them.
Sounds OK, just need to find the MAF now.....

1 - 6 of 6 Posts