Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks, yes its me again ... stuck in another saturday!

Any ideas with an electrical problem?...interior lights will not work...neither will boot light...fuses checked, bulbs checked...all satis....any suggestions?

·
Regional Support, For Lincolnshire - AOL
16,368 Posts
Hi folks, yes its me again ... stuck in another saturday!

Any ideas with an electrical problem?...interior lights will not work...neither will boot light...fuses checked, bulbs checked...all satis....any suggestions?
Is the interior OH light switched off ?

Does it work on the manual switch ? If so set it to auto and try both doors, you'd think at least one would work.

Do the under door lights work ?

Is the boot light switched off ? Mine always is, I don't trust the auto switch !

What does the door display on the dash say, does it indicate which doors are open ?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Old thread this but I thought I'd tack my question to it. I've got interior light problems too. Interior lights did come on when a door was opened and they faded away very nicely. Now they don't come on when a door is opened but can be operated from the overhead switch. I can't find the door operating switch which is normally a simple push button switch. Where is the door switch in a 916 TS Series 1 please? Thanks.

·
Premium Member
1,161 Posts
When you open the doors do you get the open door indication on the dashboard?
The switch is integrated in the door lock mechanism (see attached wiring diagram).

And the light is controlled by the service unit N82

Attachments

·
Registered
GTV, '96, 2.0V6 TB
130 Posts
And if your door's window seal is bad or separated at the back of the door (around the glass - if that makes sense) then rain will get to the lock switches et voila, no switch. Ask me how I know.

·
Registered
13 Posts
When you open the doors do you get the open door indication on the dashboard?
The switch is integrated in the door lock mechanism (see attached wiring diagram).

And the light is controlled by the service unit N82
Thanks for that information and the wiring diagram. Yes, the door open icon does show on the dashboard - is that a good sign or not? Thanks.

·
Registered
13 Posts
And if your door's window seal is bad or separated at the back of the door (around the glass - if that makes sense) then rain will get to the lock switches et voila, no switch. Ask me how I know.
Yes, the door rubber at the top of the door and window junction pops off the mount point so I guess I'll have the water in the switch problem. Will I be able to service the switch (remove it, clean and dry it out)? Thanks.

·
Premium Member
1,161 Posts
Thanks for that information and the wiring diagram. Yes, the door open icon does show on the dashboard - is that a good sign or not? Thanks.
If the open door icon is shown on the dashboard indicate the switch is functional.
Furthermore I just discovered that the very early cars has a different interior light system (see attached wiring diagram)

The timing control is part of the instrument cluster.
The light is enabled by the relay I26
This relay is located in a green base socket in the fuse box area

Attachments

·
Registered
GTV, '96, 2.0V6 TB
130 Posts
For clarity, when you say the door open indicator light is on, do you mean that it comes on when you open the door(s) and goes off when you close the door(s). If so, that eliminates the door switch as a problem.
If the door indication light is always on then the door switch is bad and the logic circuit never "sees" the door open (it actually sees the door as never having been closed) and does not reset the timer. To test this, disconnect the battery, open a door and then reconnect the battery, the interior lights will come on, time out and not turn on with door opening.

·
Registered
13 Posts
If the open door icon is shown on the dashboard indicate the switch is functional.
Furthermore I just discovered that the very early cars has a different interior light system (see attached wiring diagram)

The timing control is part of the instrument cluster.
The light is enabled by the relay I26
This relay is located in a green base socket in the fuse box area
Thanks for those - I've printed both and will do some work on it next week.

·
Registered
13 Posts
For clarity, when you say the door open indicator light is on, do you mean that it comes on when you open the door(s) and goes off when you close the door(s). If so, that eliminates the door switch as a problem.
If the door indication light is always on then the door switch is bad and the logic circuit never "sees" the door open (it actually sees the door as never having been closed) and does not reset the timer. To test this, disconnect the battery, open a door and then reconnect the battery, the interior lights will come on, time out and not turn on with door opening.
Thanks for your interest and help. Yes, the dash icon is on if the door is open (ignition on) and goes off when the door is closed.
The manual push switch on the interior light operates the centre light with one push and with another push, the floor and door down lights come on and the centre light goes off. One or other remains on so I have removed the centre light bulb otherwise it remains on or alternatively, the floor lights remain on. Until I discovered this, it would account for my initial problem which was the battery draining, I expect.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Thanks for your interest and help. Yes, the dash icon is on if the door is open (ignition on) and goes off when the door is closed.
The manual push switch on the interior light operates the centre light with one push and with another push, the floor and door down lights come on and the centre light goes off. One or other remains on so I have removed the centre light bulb otherwise it remains on or alternatively, the floor lights remain on. Until I discovered this, it would account for my initial problem which was the battery draining, I expect.
Well, checking further today I discovered the 7.5 amp fuse controlling the ceiling light, boot light, instrument panel (clock wasn't working, other gauges were?!) electric aerial and door lock remote ( I don't have the fob for that - long gone it appears) was intact but was not connecting well! I have replaced the fuse and everything is working as it should now! Thanks for the help you 916 people in the other hemisphere from me - great to have the community! Any 916 specific sites you can recommend?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts