Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
does anybody have any ideas, I have a 156 2l (1998) engine running to correct temp. fan working, electrical switch's checked and ok.
but the inside tempature never heats up. It used to blast out

·
Registered
4,646 Posts
remove the grill from the top of the dash, down in the hole is a set of flap...they soemtimes get stuck

afaik if oyu remove the power form the battery for 15 min;s it resets the ecus for the heaters too...assuming you have air con.

does the fan work on all 4 speed?s

·
Registered
4,646 Posts
also if you ahve aircon behind the centre console, around the height of the ash tray is a fan assembly, that can get blocke d& stop rotaitng due to dirt.... if that happens the thermistor which it is drawing air across, as a sample, does not read correctly & causes the heaters to behave wierdly.

·
Registered
343 Posts
You could have an air block in the heater matrix. Try running it for 15 mins or so (at least until the thermostat has opened and then for a bit more) on tickpover with the pressure cap removed from the expansion bottle. This will bleed the system of any trapped air.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
many thanks for that. yes fan works perfectly except blowing hot air, my man has recomend a rad flush as he seems to think it has a blockage somewhere. flaps opening

·
Registered
343 Posts
Rad flush wont help if you've got an airlock. I've seen this before, especialy after work has been done to the cooling system. As I said, remove the pressure cap, then let the engine run for 15 mins or so, or at least until the thermostat opens with the heater controls set to max heat. You will be able tell it's opened because the top hose from the radiator will get hot. Anyway, once the thermostat has opened, hot water will now be able circulate round the whole system, forcing any trapped air to the highest point (the top of the expansion bottle) and because the lid is off, the air will just bubble away....

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ok great thanks for that. I will give that a go when I get back. I know my wife is going mad at the moment in the cold weather. thanks again for the info

1 - 7 of 7 Posts