Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
I had an issue with only the ones in the back (weirdly) and just got replacements from ebay. There are loads out there, just find the cheapest ones that look decent.
Sure they'll probably end up as bad as the old ones but really the car will probably be long gone by then.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Now we're talking :thumbup:

Have to try that AutoGlym. My experiences with AutoGlym Vinyl and Rubber Care are absolutely phenomena, it just makes everything where applied so elastic and as good as new… If it won't work, maybe I'll paint the handles with matte black:smoker:

·
Registered
29 Posts
Now we're talking :thumbup:

Have to try that AutoGlym. My experiences with AutoGlym Vinyl and Rubber Care are absolutely phenomena, it just makes everything where applied so elastic and as good as new… If it won't work, maybe I'll paint the handles with matte black:smoker:
Yes I've used the vinyl spray - very good on interior, dashboards etc.
The bumper stuff, if you do try that, is a bit more gloopy; like many things, try a small bit first.
It's a bit more 'heavy duty' than the thin stuff, so I think it might be better.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Is there any conditioner or anything to renovate these handles? It's starting to look a bit rough. Any solutions?
This is a common problem across the Alfa range.

I cleaned off the tatty rubberised paint with isopropyl alcohol, leaving the bare plastic. Looks good and nothing to deteriorate in the future.

·
Registered
4,196 Posts
It was a particular problem on some interior trim items for the phase 3 156 and the 147 and GT. I have also seen the same in some Citroens.
Another solution to this problem is to get some solvent to dissolve the "soft feel" coating on top of the plastic item, which will leave a smooth, but hard, plastic surface. (EDIT: Ah, I see Kevin Hanley posted a similar solution.)

Or you could probably order the trim item for the pre-facelift 156, which doesn't usually have this problem.

·
Registered
2,037 Posts
I did the same as above for my 147 window switches. I used nail varnish remover. The plastic underneath has a nice matt finish, so no need to put anything on top of it unless you especially want a rubberised finish.

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
Is there any conditioner or anything to renovate these handles? It's starting to look a bit rough. Any solutions?
I use Plastidip on my GT grab handles, lasts quite well but it's not a permanent solution, I do them every couple of years.

All the best

Pub

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yes I've used the vinyl spray - very good on interior, dashboards etc.
The bumper stuff, if you do try that, is a bit more gloopy; like many things, try a small bit first.
It's a bit more 'heavy duty' than the thin stuff, so I think it might be better.
You mean AutoGlym's stuff? It's absolutely amazing, 41 years old seals are now like new ones; so smooth and elastic. I think I'm a little crazy about it already:biglaugh:

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Oh, it won't look like rubbish without the rubberized paint? Then I'll try to dissolve that finish and go with bare plastic. A new coating would also be a nice solution:thumbup:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts