Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My interior fan is whining, so I need to remove it for a clean and lube. Other threads have helped me to find it in the passenger footwell below the glove compartment, and say that there is one screw to remove. I've removed it (very obvious little hex head screw) and the fan assembly will now twist a bit either way, but it won't pull out. Is there a specific movement, or perhaps another screw somewhere, or does it just need violence?
Advice from those who have done this before much appreciated - thanks in advance.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Interestingly, just unscrewing the screw and jiggling the fan housing has got rid of the whine! It would still be good to give the bearings a lube, though. How to get the fan out, anyone?

·
Registered
53 Posts
I have a PH1 and just removed my fan for the same sqealing issues. I just removed the screw, pushed up and twisted anti clockwise and it came straight out. I think its the same on a Ph2.
VBM

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have a PH1 and just removed my fan for the same sqealing issues. I just removed the screw, pushed up and twisted anti clockwise and it came straight out. I think its the same on a Ph2.
VBM
Thanks, Badman, but mine still won't move. I'm wondering if I have the right screw. The one I've removed is a small gold hex head that goes straight up through the bottom of the round grey plastic fan assembly. Is that the one you removed to take out the unit?

·
Registered
53 Posts
Thanks, Badman, but mine still won't move. I'm wondering if I have the right screw. The one I've removed is a small gold hex head that goes straight up through the bottom of the round grey plastic fan assembly. Is that the one you removed to take out the unit?
Hex bolt? Mine was a pozi screw looks almost like a grub screw. underneath near where the cables connect. i will post a photo showing it soon, remember tho mines a ph1 so it may yet be different.

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
Hex bolt? Mine was a pozi screw looks almost like a grub screw. underneath near where the cables connect. i will post a photo showing it soon, remember tho mines a ph1 so it may yet be different.
It was a 5.5mm hex bolt on two that I've taken apart (both ph2) ;)

·
Registered
53 Posts
New fandangled hex bolts on yer PH2, I can remember when screws were screws not hex, jumpers for goalpost, I remember having to get up and change the TV by HAND etc etc
Regards
VBM :jester:

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It was a 5.5mm hex bolt on two that I've taken apart (both ph2) ;)
Don't tease me, Wookey - after taking the hex screw out how did you get the fan assembly out? Mine is loosened in that the cover that the hex screw goes through will move a bit clockwise and then back the other way, but it hits a stop in either direction, and moderate force won't either unscrew it or pull it loose.

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
It was a 5.5mm hex bolt on two that I've taken apart (both ph2)
Don't tease me, Wookey - after taking the hex screw out how did you get the fan assembly out? Mine is loosened in that the cover that the hex screw goes through will move a bit clockwise and then back the other way, but it hits a stop in either direction, and moderate force won't either unscrew it or pull it loose.
From memory it was about a quarter turn or so (can't remember which direction) then some wiggling and suddenly they dropped out!!! Took a few attempts on both cars!!!

;)

·
Registered
479 Posts
From memory it was about a quarter turn or so (can't remember which direction) then some wiggling and suddenly they dropped out!!! Took a few attempts on both cars!!!

;)
I've had mine out about 4 times in last three weeks while I replaced resistor. (Ph2).

It is a hex bolt and if you can rotate the fan then you've got correct one out. Twist and pull would normally get it out. However, there is wiring around the fan, are you sure you've cleared it all and it isn't wiring that preventing the fan dropping out. It does take some back and forward jiggling to come free, it is a big solid unit so don't be afraid of giving it a bit of welly.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Still no joy. It move a few mil freely clockwise and anticlockwise, but stops each way against something solid and unyielding. Before I either take a pry bar to it and break it, or take it to AlfaWorkshop, can you guys have a look at the attached picture and reassure me I've removed the right hex screw. I have circled it in red. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I've never done this job but soon i will because of a whining fan but what i see on your picture is that you not only have to remove the screw but also a (little) piece of metal that's holding both part together or prevent the unit to turn. I hope this is your solution.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts