Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am confused. I have purchased various interior panals for gtv all are described as black, however some are slightly blacker than others. Is the black interior a different shade of black for phase 1, 2 or phase 3 models? I rece tly purchased a new black parcel shelf but the old parcel shelf was blacker.... Which is odd considering it is the original that has been exposed to sunlight since 2005......

·
Registered
5,394 Posts
My black GTV has extremely dark blue door panels, a sort of charcoal blue only apparent when compared with black items and very dark blue steering wheel cowls. There are different parts numbers for the black and v.v.dark blue trims. So it is not down to manufacturing errors or ageing.
In fact even minus the coloured inserts there are quite a number of different panels available.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My black GTV has extremely dark blue door panels, a sort of charcoal blue only apparent when compared with black items and very dark blue steering wheel cowls. There are different parts numbers for the black and v.v.dark blue trims. So it is not down to manufacturing errors or ageing.
In fact even minus the coloured inserts there are quite a number of different panels available.

I see... Is it related to the phase or year of manufacture? Or any other logic or rationale as to why one different shade would apply?

·
Registered
5,394 Posts
Don't know, I only realised when I picked up a passenger door panel for mine as a spare and when I compared them the difference was apparent. Perhaps black cars had the lighter shade whereas lighter cars had the black.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Don't know, I only realised when I picked up a passenger door panel for mine as a spare and when I compared them the difference was apparent. Perhaps black cars had the lighter shade whereas lighter cars had the black.
Similar situation.. Purchased replacement door card looked good only when fitted did it look grey/blue/charcoal when compared to rest of car, and now the same with parcel shelf.... Oh well...

·
Registered
599 Posts
Doesnt the PH3 have the true BLACK interior plastics and the previous generations use more of a Charcoal colour.. aside from the Blue-style and Red-style interior plastics of course, ?

·
Registered
2,161 Posts
The centre console and surround for the stereo, aircon controls and dials etc on phase 2s was a shiny dark black and changed to matt light black to match the dash and doors around the end of 2000/start of 2001. I’ve never noticed any differences in colour for the other trim. Could what they are cleaned/ treated with have an impact? Things like C4 and AG Bumper have a dramatic effect on exterior trim.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Doesnt the PH3 have the true BLACK interior plastics and the previous generations use more of a Charcoal colour.. aside from the Blue-style and Red-style interior plastics of course, ?
That would make sense, I have p3s and there is no doubt that the interior plastics are definitely black, maybe it was one of the changes to the p3 and the replacements I have are from another phase. That is something I will need to check when purchasing parts..... Thanks

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The centre console and surround for the stereo, aircon controls and dials etc on phase 2s was a shiny dark black and changed to matt light black to match the dash and doors around the end of 2000/start of 2001. I’ve never noticed any differences in colour for the other trim. Could what they are cleaned/ treated with have an impact? Things like C4 and AG Bumper have a dramatic effect on exterior trim.
A good point. When I treat the original black trim with maguiars ultimate black it turns even blacker (not sure if that is a word its a mix of black and darker) whereas the bluey charcoal panal doesn't do that. I think that the p3s interior must have been tweeked to being very black with the other revisions. Which means I have purchased wrong door card and parcel shelf.... What a pain.... Oh well learn something new about the p3....

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Can you use that on interior trim? I want my dashboard to be 'blacker' than it is.
Yes the version I have does say for interior. 1 is a spay on and the other is pre wetted pads in a pouch. When I did the rear parcel shelf the results were amazing. It went from a dusty black to a really deep dark black. I wiped the parcel shelf first with warm water, thoroughly dried it then applies 2 Coates of the maguiars ultimate black from the pads. After about 30mins it started to look a lovely rich black, I added another coat and left overnight. Really great result.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Many thanks, i’ll get some on order.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
452 Posts
My understanding regarding the "black " interiors of 916's is that ph1 and 2 cars have a dark anthracite colour with pre 2000 cars having a shiny dash centre and centre console with post 2000 cars having a mat finish more akin to the dash colour.

Ph3 cars have a true black finish which looks very similar till you try and mix them, ask me how I know :p

If you look up interior trim on partsworld it is always listed as pre or post 2003 due to the ph2/ph3 colour difference.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
My understanding regarding the "black " interiors of 916's is that ph1 and 2 cars have a dark anthracite colour with pre 2000 cars having a shiny dash centre and centre console with post 2000 cars having a mat finish more akin to the dash colour.

Ph3 cars have a true black finish which looks very similar till you try and mix them, ask me how I know :p

If you look up interior trim on partsworld it is always listed as pre or post 2003 due to the ph2/ph3 colour difference.
Alright, thanks for that info Welshsteve, I guess you have been down the same road as me then. The slight colour difference is very sneaky, just doesn't notice until side by side, as in fitted and everything put back together, and out for a fun drive getting back in the car after stopping for a bacon butty and wtf the door has faded whilst I was munching at the burger van. Having to find spare black door cards for p3 does narrow the field a bit now, but can't live with the colour mismatchh.... 😭

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Swap your near side trim (charcoal/blue/anthracite) for my black trim?
It's is the driver side door card that is the problem. Do you have a p3 true black one. Also I am in the market for driver side rear interior panal as mine cracked whilst removing it...... The door card is in good condition albeit not perfect. If not for colour issue I would keep it sort of condition if you get my drift...

·
Registered
452 Posts
It's is the driver side door card that is the problem. Do you have a p3 true black one. Also I am in the market for driver side rear interior panal as mine cracked whilst removing it...... The door card is in good condition albeit not perfect. If not for colour issue I would keep it sort of condition if you get my drift...
If you are looking for any PH3 interior trims let me know, my oldest lad has just bought a redstyle interior for his PH3 JTS and will be removing his black interior in the next few weeks.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts