Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This topic has been raised on the gtv forum so apologies for any repetition. I thought I would try it here as the problem is ICE related.

My gtv cup has an aftermarket head unit and amp fitted. The amp is new as this had to be fitted to replace 3 poorly installed amps by the previous owner. The new amp is wired and grounded direct to battery in boot and has new RCA leads to head unit. I have a problem with a whine which follows revs. Also there in the MAR key position and seems to be picking up buzzing from engine component to rear of engine bay. The head unit has also been replaced and the whine persists. Definitely coming from speakers. Both sides but louder from passenger side. I took the door woofer off and found a passive crossover fitted. I thought this might be the problem and tried wiring the speaker direct and removed crossover. Still whining. Also does it with stereo fascia off. I am assuming bad ground somewhere. The head unit is grounded to the stereo housing chassis. Took RCA cables out of head unit but no joy. The door speakers have been upgraded to Jbl components and new wiring from crossover to tweeter. Please please can someone help??

·
AO Silver Member, 155 Lounge Winner 09
7,713 Posts
What brand headunit? If it's a Pioneer, these are subject to blowing an internal pico fuse along the RCA output ground tracks (can explain how/why if you do indeed have a Pioneer), which results in 'engine whine' like you describe.

You've covered the other common causes, but the list is extensive:
*poor amplifier groundwire connection
*damaged RCA cable (internal wiring)
*amp casing grounded: ensure that the amp and its securing screws are not connected to the chassis; only the groundwire should be
*passive crossovers picking up interference: you eliminated that with one side and problem persisted
*faulty amp

:)

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's a kenwood head unit. I had another look last night. I unplugged the RCA cables from amp and played my iPhone direct through amp and no noise issue. This leads me to believe that the amp and speaker wiring is ok?? The head unit has recently been replaced and the previous one did the same so again I am assuming that the head unit is ok.

·
AO Silver Member, 155 Lounge Winner 09
7,713 Posts
Indeed, if the iPhone connection worked ok, it's unrelated to the amp/speakers.

I suspect the RCAs. Worth trying another set, or at least testing only one channel at a time.

:)

·
Registered
709 Posts
you say the battery is in the boot, but do you have the rca's running along the same side sill as the positive cable? if so move it to the other side of the car.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts