Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have ANY idea why I get poor reception on the radio when my lights are switched on?
Given up looking for now.....:grumpy:

·
Registered
2,859 Posts
Standard radio or aftermarket? An old range rover we had picked up radio interference from the alternator, sounded like a turbo whine, we popped an interference suppressor on, which fixed the issue.

If aftermarket, did you fit a powered aerial adapter? Not generally required for FM, more MW but might be your issue.

·
Registered
3,796 Posts
Stock lights or have you ...erm "upgraded" to led bulbs? My colleague had to remove them from his car as the interference was terrible. Cheap HID kits cause the same issue.

·
Registered
2,615 Posts
You got any cheap chargers in fag lighter? Mrs old car had awful reception with rear screen heater on,for some odd reason only happened when cheap usb charger in fag lighter socket. Quite why it didn’t interfere with no rear screen on is a mystery,but binned that and all was well.

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Nope, everything is standard, it’s the Spider 2.2 (2010) Italia independent version.
The only addition is a parrot hands free unit but this wouldn’t affect the radio when the lights are on.
So on side lights, dip etc the radio suffers interference if I switch the lights off then the radio is clear as a bell?
Do I need to add a suppressor somewhere, if so where and what type?

·
Registered
2,615 Posts
It should have adequate suppression from the factory, I would unplug each light 1 at a time front and back and see if a single unit is causing it. Maybe a bulb on way out or poor ground?
If still same check the ground points on radio and aerial lead for damage in case the screen is damaged or not grounding sufficiently.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts