Alfa Romeo Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Just wanted some recommendations for the best place to get a cable to be able to us my multiucuscan software. I have some generic diagnostic software, but i wanted to trying the specific one in the hope of a better result.

Is there a source ou would recommend,

Cheers

Matt

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the link, I was also looking for any personal experience. But I have know gone with one from that page. Cheers for the help

·
Registered
3,372 Posts
I have one of the blue kkl cables from china on ebay and its worked fine, the cables you have to be careful of are the elm327 cables as some of them are not wired correctly to work with fiatecuscan.
Its also worth getting a usb extension cable so you can put the laptop on the passenger seat without stretching the cable

·
Registered
Alfa Mito, 2010, 1.4NA, 6-speed
9,357 Posts
Or try rarebear for one of his pre-modded and tested cables

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
I have one of the blue kkl cables from china on ebay and its worked fine, the cables you have to be careful of are the elm327 cables as some of them are not wired correctly to work with fiatecuscan.
Its also worth getting a usb extension cable so you can put the laptop on the passenger seat without stretching the cable
Hi Jon, I got one of those Chinese cables also - but mine's not working (or maybe I'm just too stupid to get it working).

I tried it with the Drivers on the disc it came with and it seems to be installed but I can't achieve anything with the "Vag-Com software (it reports that all of my Com ports are non-existant) and when I plug it into the ECU and click "Connect" in Fiatecuscan nothing happens and the status in the bottom left corner returns to "Disonnected".

I tried changing the driver to "FTDI CDM drivers (Virtual COM Port Drivers) which are purported to be better, (at least with this driver I get a device on Com3) - but still no joy.

What I've noticed is that as well as there being no response from the software the cable itself seems dead.

The little red LED on the cable - when should this light up? With mine it never lights. (no lighty no likey)

So am I doing something wrong or is the cable itself a duffer?

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
update on my previous post - in case it helps someone else finding themselves in the same position.

I contacted the ebay seller and he sent me a replacement cable - this took a week to arrive from China (pretty good IMO).

I failed to get anything out of this one also. Being now convinced it wasn't a cable issue and having checked everything out with the drivers, port settings and software I was stumped.

I dug out a Windows XP laptop, and it works no problem. (I had been trying to get it working on Windows 7, with XP soon to be obsolete)

So something about Windows 7 (or my installation of it) was the problem all along. I'm not much wiser really; except I now know that when ordering these cables - make sure they are compatible with your OS

1 - 7 of 7 Posts