Registered
7,634 Posts
all i want is a water bottle for my punto

·
Registered
10,929 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
all i want is a water bottle for my punto
What percentage premix are you running? I find it unusual that a water bottle for your windscreen washer can't hold meth when most good windscreen washers contain up to 35% meth?

·
Registered
7,634 Posts
65?

·
Registered
10,929 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That won't change much though. Pure water injection can raise the octane value of fuel with no methanol content by as much as 15 points from 95 RON to110 RON. Pure meth only has an RON of 112-115 octane. So pure meth mixed with pump fuel results in a RON of somewhere in the region of 99 to 102 octane.

Meth needs to vapourise to cool the intake charge. In doing so, the meth displaces oxygen. By running 65% meth/water you won't gain much but suffer consequential damage like the damage to your tank and seals. 35% is the ideal ratio.

To get a 35% mix, you add 1L water to 1L meth. You will end up with a cool 35% meth solution.

You need to decide what you want to do? Cool the intake charge? Improve the octane rating? Both? For both, you need water/meth. With more water than meth... #ShuttupAndTrustMe...

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
That won't change much though. Pure water injection can raise the octane value of fuel with no methanol content by as much as 15 points from 95 RON to110 RON. Pure meth only has an RON of 112-115 octane. So pure meth mixed with pump fuel results in a RON of somewhere in the region of 99 to 102 octane.

Meth needs to vapourise to cool the intake charge. In doing so, the meth displaces oxygen. By running 65% meth/water you won't gain much but suffer consequential damage like the damage to your tank and seals. 35% is the ideal ratio.

To get a 35% mix, you add 1L water to 1L meth. You will end up with a cool 35% meth solution.

You need to decide what you want to do? Cool the intake charge? Improve the octane rating? Both? For both, you need water/meth. With more water than meth... #ShuttupAndTrustMe...
and the specific heat capacity of water is much higher than meth so it cools the charge much better for the same volume injected

·
Registered
7,634 Posts
calc is at 2 to one at the moment. 2l meth to 1 l water

·
Registered
10,929 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
calc is at 2 to one at the moment. 2l meth to 1 l water
That is too much meth. I am going to post something that you will need to read and read again, because it is important:

1. Pure meth has an octane rating of 112.
2. Our fuel has an octane rating of 95 (If you're lucky on the reef).
3. When you mix meth with fuel (even pump fuel already contains a small percentage of methanol) you get a final octane rating of approx. 104RON.
4. Methanol in larger than the ideal 20% to 35% concentration displaces oxygen. Like this: The methanol evapourates at 68 degrees C and when this happens it experiences a hundred fold increase in volume. This displaces the air in your inlet. You need inlet pressures of 25bar to displace the methanol. Not even your turbo will boost that high :cheese:
5. In this zone (20% to 35% concentration of meth) you have a dual evapouration process: Meth evapourates in the inlet tract cooling the charge air, and water evapourates inside the cylinder to reduce knock and allowing you to actually advance timing more.

Here's the interesting bit:
Meth will add up to 9 points on the octane scale.
Water alone will add up to 15 points.

Running on pure meth injction therefore produces an engine that makes less power than one running on pure water injection.

Remember the aim of water injection is to boost octane rating. The aim of methanol injection is to reduce inlet temperatures. For this to work effectively, less is more. You want less meth to displace less air. You want more water so your engine can actually advance the timing a little to make more power than just getting cold air into the engine and making the same power you would make on a cold day...

·
Registered
10,929 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
How about running NOS with Meth? So oxygen problem solved :thumbup:
You can do that but that begs the question: Why? To cool the inlet charge? NOS is way better than Meth at doing this. So what you will be doing in this case is diluting the NOS with meth for no reason.

·
Registered
10,929 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
also, meth has been known to explode in your intake manifold once it has become too concentrated. If you can light your diluted water meth mixture then it not only becomes illegal to be transported in a car, but also too dangerous to use n this application.

Be careful, meth burns with an invisible flame. Take precautions.

·
Registered
6,002 Posts
How about running NOS with Meth? So oxygen problem solved :thumbup:
You can do that but that begs the question: Why? To cool the inlet charge? NOS is way better than Meth at doing this. So what you will be doing in this case is diluting the NOS with meth for no reason.
Just messing about... My next suggestion was to use nitroglycerin... In medical use it helps flow of oxygen and blood to the heart

1 - 14 of 14 Posts