Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello!

I took the plunge last week and bought myself a beautiful 56 plate grey GT from the Alfa dealership in Guildford. Needless to say, I now wonder why I didn't make this choice years ago!

I could not be happier with the car, despite a couple of very minor niggles (which the dealership saw to immediately!).

I've just been flicking through the service booklet for the car and noticed something a little odd: not at all suspicious I don't think, just unusual: There are two service stamps in there, a year apart (the latest one about a month ago), but the mileage quoted on the services only increases by 1 mile over the course of a year interval.

I'm aware that the car was originally a demonstrator, and I've no reason to suspect that the car hasn't sat for a year as the service booklet indicates, I just don't understand why they would have left it stood up for so long rather than selling it a year ago for substantially more than I've now paid.

Has anybody else come across this? Any ideas what the reason might be?

I'm only curious because the practice of running for a year and then letting stand isn't something I've ever come across before.

G

·
0 Posts
Hmmmm.

I'd be ever so slightly suspicious to be honest..........

At what part of its life was this supposed year of standing?

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi again,

Thanks for your replies. According to the service book, it did just under 10,000 miles in it's first year, was serviced, and then the next stamp is a year later with exactly +1 mile, so it seemingly must have stood during that time. Then there's another 50-60 miles or so between that service and the reading when I test drove, bought, and drove the car away.

I bought it from an Alfa Romeo dealership so I've no reason to be too suspicious: all stamps (pre-delivery and the two services) are Alfa Romeo dealerships and to be honest, there were a couple of signs that it might have stood for a while on the car itself: tiny amounts of green around the edges of the door seals (which were subsequently removed/cleaned away during the pre-sale preparation before I collected it).

The previous owner on the V5 was another Alfa dealership so I guess they demonstrated with it for a year and then auctioned it off, similarly to samlcampbell's. There's not much paperwork with the car, but it does have a receipt in there for a replacement clutch towards the end of it's first year dated about a month before it's first service from the same garage that owned it.

I just thought it was an intriguing sort of odd history for the car...!

·
Registered
12,881 Posts
Wasn't there are recall on the rev counters? I thought they had to put brand new one's in and some of the dealers couldn't/wouldn't reset the mileage accordingly ... I would have expected it to be noted in the service book ... I think there is a section which indicates which "recalls" have been applied to the car ... check that section and see what turns up (note it will just be a recall number so you'll have to do a bit of searching)

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ah I hadn't thought of that..! I just had a look in the book though, there isn't anything in there about any recall/campaign work being done, just six empty boxes.

·
Registered
12,881 Posts
Ah I hadn't thought of that..! I just had a look in the book though, there isn't anything in there about any recall/campaign work being done, just six empty boxes.
That doesn't mean to same that it wasn't done :rolleyes: :rolleyes: would be worth having a talk to the dealer ...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts