Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
......in Autocar last week. I was on a flight last weekend and bought a mag to read in the airport. On the front there was a scoop about '9 new Alfas' one of which was a 166 replacement but was so vague it was taken with a pinch of salt. The image of the big saloon looked nice though even though it was an Autocar image and not official.

What really caught my eye was a letter from a reader which was a bit cryptic:

'SPREE D'ACCORD. First Seat got it's hands on the Audi A4 and created the Exeo. Now I see that it's got an Alfa Romeo 166 (News, 21 September). One wonders where the next shopping spree will be.'

Does anyone know what the story is? Are Seat developing a big saloon based on the 166? Surely not! :tut:

·
Registered
6,165 Posts
Hopefully not Scott. Really not a fan of the new generation Alfas ATM. Saying that, they are still better then rivals.

·
Registered
12,405 Posts
It's a reader comment about how much a forthcoming Seat looks like the 166?

Would Seat re-engineer the 166 chassis for a VAG engine? I can't see that happening. It would cost too much and would it be worth any damage to the brand of rehashing the 166. The 166 was hardly a big seller and given the current economic climate it's difficult to imagine there's any market for a Seat in that market segment.

Perhaps there's going to be a Seat version of the Superb that resembles the 166? Would anybody want a Seat version of the Skoda Superb?

I've a relative with two A4 B6s, they weren't that amused that it'd been rehashed as the Exeo, and I know someone with an Exeo that thought it was based on the A3. They had a Skoda before and did like the look of the Mondeo Titanium but due to price or being able to do a deal went for the Exeo. (Is the Exeo a B7 A4?).

A Seat version of the Superb would take sales from competitors or other brands within the VAG empire?

I've since googled and found this:

http://www.autocar.co.uk/forums/t/20045.aspx

http://www.autocar.co.uk/News/NewsArticle/AllCars/259097/

166? Flanks and glasshouse look Mondeo to me.

It doesn't look anything like a 166. That's the danger of magazines taking comments of joe public from their websites and printing them in their magazines? Mondeo, Accord? 166? I can't see it myself.

As an aside I'm still strongly attracted to the Toledo V5s, they had some good reviews in their day (CAR tested one against a 156 TS) and I like the noise those V5s make.

·
Registered
354 Posts
I had a Toledo V5 years ago. It was swift and frugal, and it did make a nice noise. It was also cheap to buy.

However, it was also soggy in the handling department and leaked water. I had to take all four doors apart to rectify it.

And it started to cost big money around 80k miles. The build was ok, but nowhere near 166.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Certainly is - I lost the sump cover very early on, and I see lots hanging off the equivalent Golfs all the time.

My cover was bashed about as well - really dented...

·
Registered
12,405 Posts
If the Autocar thing was about the Seat IBL, CAR Magazine have done the same thing on their letters pages in the November issue with comments from posters on their website.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts