Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4,875 Posts
Very Interesting

Too high a speed for the road conditions, known or unknown, is careless or dangerous driving. Prosecute for that and you remove the need to prosecute for speeding. Ah but,............................................

that needs human bodies to observe and make a judgement. The camera is automatic and involves no judgement. Over the limit = guilty. Doesn't matter if it's 2:am and no other vehicle around and 37mph in a 30mph zone still guilty.

·
Registered
3,978 Posts
I was interested in the bit about cameras at accident sites. There is one opposite the end of my road and to my knowledge in the last 20 years or so there have been no accidents. The camera is however about halfway down a hill and just beyond the peak of a curve, so not immediately visible as you descend the hill. It is so easy, as you drift down the hill with you foot off the gas to exceed the speed limit. I wonder why they chose that site? Many of the favourite places for the vans are in similar spots where the unwary may be a few mph over the limit without being dangerously so.

·
Registered
5,381 Posts
When the local authority gave notice that they were going to put more speed bumps outside a school as the existing signage etc. had not reduced the number if incidents involving moveing traffic and children (11 to 17 year olds) crossing the road I asked the question...

"Would it not be better to teach the children how to safely cross roads rather than add more responsability on the driver?"

I was basicly told I was stupid and reckless!

ALL road users, be they drivers, riders or walkers, should be more awear of their responsabilitys!

P

·
0 Posts
All very well but it dodges the most important point. An accident involving speeding will result in much more serious injuries for all involved. End of story. As for all the rest of the 'facts' it proves the old adage There are lies, damn lies and statistics. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
37,751 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
All very well but it dodges the most important point. An accident involving speeding will result in much more serious injuries for all involved. End of story. As for all the rest of the 'facts' it proves the old adage There are lies, damn lies and statistics. :rolleyes:
Not nessesarily.

A pedestrian hit at 30mph is much more likely to suffer a permanent disability or serious ongoing injuries than one hit at 50mph.

Because the one hit at 50mph would likely be dead.

It does depend on how they do the statistics. ;)

·
Registered
37,649 Posts
Whilst I agree with your point in isolation Vic, you do need to read through the stuff on the link.

Also, from my point of view, I am much more dangerous at 25mph because I am so frickin' bored I am not paying any attention to what I am doing. Wrong I know but at higher speeds my concentration is more acute.

P

·
0 Posts
Whilst I agree with your point in isolation Vic, you do need to read through the stuff on the link.

Also, from my point of view, I am much more dangerous at 25mph because I am so frickin' bored I am not paying any attention to what I am doing. Wrong I know but at higher speeds my concentration is more acute.
Ok they make one small point saying a speeding accident will be more violent but it's sort of there as a throw-away line. It's small comfort for a person involved in an accident involving speed to know that statistically they were just unlucky.

You can look at all the police reports in the world regarding accidents and the most stupid inconsiderate drivers cause most accidents and are within the speed limits but it's usually survivable and is an insurance job. However the fact that a minority of accidents might be be due from speeding doesn't negate the fact that the speeding is way less survivable.

Opiates are one of the safest drugs you can take for your body and do the least damage when taken with caution , but one mistake and you're dead. They are the statistics and the reality. However you are still playing with fire for that one moment when you make a misjudgement. You possibly don't follow the correlation but I know what I think I'm saying. :)

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
When the local authority gave notice that they were going to put more speed bumps outside a school as the existing signage etc. had not reduced the number if incidents involving moveing traffic and children (11 to 17 year olds) crossing the road I asked the question...

"Would it not be better to teach the children how to safely cross roads rather than add more responsability on the driver?"

ALL road users, be they drivers, riders or walkers, should be more awear of their responsabilitys!/QUOTE]

When I was a primary school kid (40years or so ago :cry:) not only was I taught by my parents how to cross roads, I was taught at school - I vaguely remember the Tufty Club being fronted a squirrel and his mates somehow being involved. And the manta, "look right, look left, look right again and if all is clear cross" is still embedded in my memory. :cool:

Isn't road crossing taught anymore??!!

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
MrShusky said:

ALL road users, be they drivers, riders or walkers, should be more awear of their responsabilitys!/QUOTE]

When I was a primary school kid (40years or so ago :cry:) not only was I taught by my parents how to cross roads, I was taught at school - I vaguely remember the Tufty Club being fronted a squirrel and his mates somehow being involved. And the manta, "look right, look left, look right again and if all is clear cross" is still embedded in my memory. :cool:

Isn't road crossing taught anymore??!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts