Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking at buying a Spider soon, the ones that interest me are the 3.0 916/3.2 916 or 3.2 Q4 946. They seem to be not that far off on price from each other, even though some are around 2000 and the newer being 2006/7 models. Has anyone had experience of driving the two models?
Why would you go for one or the other?
I like the Busso part of the older along with cheaper tax, but the wife likes the styling of the newer Q4.
Any comments welcome.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I'm looking at buying a Spider soon, the ones that interest me are the 3.0 916/3.2 916 or 3.2 Q4 946. They seem to be not that far off on price from each other, even though some are around 2000 and the newer being 2006/7 models. Has anyone had experience of driving the two models?
Why would you go for one or the other?
I like the Busso part of the older along with cheaper tax, but the wife likes the styling of the newer Q4.
Any comments welcome.
3.2 916, with a Q2 diff fitted no discussion!!!
The characters of both cars are very different. The 916 with the final Busso is a fantastic car. The V6 sound is fantastic and the engine is a classic. The cars are pretty well built but it was designed 20 years ago so don't expect modern luxury. The Q4 is far heavier and has the very thirsty GM derived motor. Its more of a boulevard cruiser than a fun sports car.
Drive both and see which suits you best though.

·
Registered
7,546 Posts
Used to have a GTV and now a later Spider. Both 4-pots though.
If you can find an old 916 Spider in perfect condition with perfect history buy it.
My GTV was the best car I've ever owned - kept it for 8 years it was that good.
The problem is there's an awful lot of rubbish out there now - they're very old cars.
That generation of cars had the 'X' factor that's sadly missing with the GM ones.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm thinking the 916, thanks for the comments. Part of the reason this makes sense (selling a mint Corsa VXR with very low mileage) is, while being quick, its always as people put it, just a Corsa! And the Spider has obvious appeal. The Corsa till down to about £2k is always going to loose money. I'm hopping the 916 (especially with V6) will hold its value and possibly become an appreciating classic. Before the Corsa I had a Calibra, which when looking for a replacement I did consider the 916 GTV, but family members, mainly my dad saying don't buy one, it'll fall apart, big repair bills....... put me off. After having initially a 147 1.6ts (bought for my GF, now wife about 6yrs ago) was a dip a toe in and even though it had a lot of blue smoke and shares in oil companies, I wanted another Alfa ever since! After buying the Giulietta, I want another for the weekends with the growl I wanted years ago (when I shouldn't have been listening to other un initiated people!) After seeing the Giulietta, even my dad is tempted now! It makes me laugh when I said to him, you realise if I buy the V6 Spider you would be insured on it, like the Corsa is at the moment - his eyes lit up! Wonder why?

·
Registered
Porsche Cayenne Diseasel (2011)
26,173 Posts
.../... I'm hopping the 916 (especially with V6) will hold its value and possibly become an appreciating classic..../...
It deserves to be driven, every day, top down when it's not raining - not sitting in a garage waiting for a nice summer day and appreciation to kick in. Treat it well, don't skimp on maintenance, enjoy every mile, every growl, every appreciative look from innocent bystanders.
That's what I have my 916 for - and the wife agrees :)

As it's made out of cardboard and wet newspapers, I don't expect it will keep all or most of it's value, but the slowing depreciation nicely balances the running and increasing maintenance cost.

·
Registered
Porsche Cayenne Diseasel (2011)
26,173 Posts
Get the best you can afford. The 3.0 is a joy to drive.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It deserves to be driven, every day, top down when it's not raining - not sitting in a garage waiting for a nice summer day and appreciation to kick in. Treat it well, don't skimp on maintenance, enjoy every mile, every growl, every appreciative look from innocent bystanders.
That's what I have my 916 for - and the wife agrees :)

As it's made out of cardboard and wet newspapers, I don't expect it will keep all or most of it's value, but the slowing depreciation nicely balances the running and increasing maintenance cost.
Believe me, I would love to drive a V6 Spider every day, but A) the tools I need to carry for my job just wouldn't fit in there and B) the places I have to park it, it wouldn't last long, at least with the hood in one piece! The Stealthy G with 16" alloys gets away with this... JUST!
I'm not buying this with my head, if it does drop like a stone, as long as it keeps my senses happy, TBH I don't care. Its just easier to explain to my wife, its a sound choice! For too long now I've been listening to youtube clips of V6 Alfas (especially GTVs and GTAs). I need one of these in my life! Even if I cant use it every day. I know at the moment the Corsa is worth between £7-8.5K, enough to find the right V6 Spider and with the Corsa doing 25mpg, its not going to be a huge hit with petrol either.

·
Registered
13,688 Posts
That Busso does sound good and I've driven a few cars with nice sounding motors.
I also think it is nice to keep for high days and holidays. If I drive the weekend stuff too often it becomes a bit less interesting.

Reactions: A_Venables

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
That Busso does sound good and I've driven a few cars with nice sounding motors.
I also think it is nice to keep for high days and holidays. If I drive the weekend stuff too often it becomes a bit less interesting.
Exactly, that's what the VXR was, when I used to have a 208 Diesel as a daily, the Corsa felt like a rocket, now with the Giulietta its not got that special feeling anymore, damn the G! Hence, time to move on. I'm not after something quicker, just different. The Spider should satisfy this and in V6 form give the right note I have wanted for years (when I was looking last time) about 5-6 yrs ago.:thumbup:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts