Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Evening all

I'm new to Alfa having been a life long Audi 80 coupe and 90 quattro nut. I've had my Blackline GT for 3 weeks now and I'm absolutely smitten! Fancied one since they came out and glad I made the decision to buy now :thumbup:

My 07 plate GT JTD currently has 67k on the clock and from what I can see is completely standard. It has full service history, mostly Alfa, and had had 2 cam belt changes both at the 30k point with last being done in October 2015 (including water pump). It looks like it's been well looked after.

I very much believe in future proofing my cars and now that I'm a responsible 40 year old :smash: I'm not after the speed thrills of my younger years...don't get me wrong I'm not Miss Daisy by any stretch of the imagination, but I'm now an advocate of measured "mechanical sympathy":biglaugh:

So with a totally standard Blackline and having read around a bit I've started a list of things which I think I need to get sorted on my car (over and above what I need to sort right now).....what I would really appreciate is some fellow owners thoughts and recommendations.

So here goes, not in any order of priority, * denotes things I need to sort asap,

1. New disks and pads
2. Remap to 170ish (any recommendations for companies who undertake remapping please I live on Anglesey)
3. Delete EGR and remove flaps (probably as part of 2.)
4. Waxoyl underneath (dirty oil, brush and elbow grease)
5. *Clean and copper grease gear linkage bushes
6. Upgrade to mtech short shift
7. Buy spare Clutch clip?
8. *Sort wind noise from front windows

I'm hoping I can do the above for less than £500:paranoid:

Would be grateful if you could let me know if I've missed anything which you know I will need to sort :thumbup:

Cheers all

Yodaboyo :byebye:

Attachments

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
Sideways motor sport in Rhos on Sea. Not used them but you're not spoilt for choice in our neck of the woods. I can recommend a garage in Tregarth if you are struggling to find a mechanic with experience on Alfas.

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
you will be lucky to get that lot done for £500..

but if you can do the discs,pads,undersealing yourself then £500 should stretch to an EGR delete,swirl flap delete and re-map at Autolusso south,I had that map on my car prior to the hybrid turbo and can vouch for it being fun and mechanically sensitive.

you might want to budget for a clutch though if you re-map it at that mileage, mine was on 70k when done and it lasted a week! fitted new stage one clutch and flywheel and its still holding strong with hugely increased power levels.

give Loz a call, for all the stuff you want done AL south will be the best and nearest..:thumbup:

·
Registered
218 Posts
are yo usure you want to install a short shifter kit? Many on here have and it's worth reading their subsequent challenges/problems before buying!

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
But here is no "F" in Geography. What did you get in English Language?

AS above if you can DIY the brakes and gear linkage lubrication you will get this for about £500 depending on what disk and pad manufacture you fit but highest quality items may push the total to around £600.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
you will be lucky to get that lot done for £500..

but if you can do the discs,pads,undersealing yourself then £500 should stretch to an EGR delete,swirl flap delete and re-map at Autolusso south,I had that map on my car prior to the hybrid turbo and can vouch for it being fun and mechanically sensitive.

you might want to budget for a clutch though if you re-map it at that mileage, mine was on 70k when done and it lasted a week! fitted new stage one clutch and flywheel and its still holding strong with hugely increased power levels.

give Loz a call, for all the stuff you want done AL south will be the best and nearest..:thumbup:
Fortunately for me the clutch was replaced in 2014:thumbup:

Yes planning on sorting the linkage and changing disks and pads myself so not factoring labor costs into this.

So glad its not just my geography thats cr*p lol - it once took me 7 hours to drive to Stanford Hall as I went the wrong way on the m6 lol:jester:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
are yo usure you want to install a short shifter kit? Many on here have and it's worth reading their subsequent challenges/problems before buying!
not sure to be honest - it was recommended to me as a way of improving the gear change experience and I thought it would e worth doing it the same time as when I'm sorting the bushes in the linkage - wouldnt want to bother if it caused problems I'd rather spend the £116 it costs on something else :biglaugh:

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
not sure to be honest - it was recommended to me as a way of improving the gear change experience and I thought it would e worth doing it the same time as when I'm sorting the bushes in the linkage - wouldnt want to bother if it caused problems I'd rather spend the £116 it costs on something else :biglaugh:
I have one and love it, wouldn't be without it now TBH, But I can understand why it might not be some people's cup of tea..I got mine used for a good price because of this..I am sure another will come up at some point..

With a good re-map it will have the most benefits IMO, it obviously shortens the time between changes and allow you to stay on boost and really exploit the extra power. It makes a huge difference to how quickly you can get down the road..

suck it and see is the only way..if you were nearer I would say come and have a drive of mine but as far as my remedial geography goes you are quite a distance from me..:biglaugh:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I have one and love it, wouldn't be without it now TBH, But I can understand why it might not be some people's cup of tea..I got mine used for a good price because of this..I am sure another will come up at some point..

With a good re-map it will have the most benefits IMO, it obviously shortens the time between changes and allow you to stay on boost and really exploit the extra power. It makes a huge difference to how quickly you can get down the road..

suck it and see is the only way..if you were nearer I would say come and have a drive of mine but as far as my remedial geography goes you are quite a distance from me..:biglaugh:
thats very kind of you Sir :thumbup: much appreciated

1 - 13 of 13 Posts