Alfa Romeo Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys

I've just traded my old 159JTDm in for a 2013 Giulietta 1.75 Cloverleaf (in 8C red :happy: ) and was hoping someone could offer some advice on a couple of things for me.

First, I was hoping it was equipped with the TomTom Sat Nav port on the top of the dash, but unfortunately it isn't, there's just a lidded container with no port in it :(. Apart from the factory fit option, is there any sat nav marketed that I can tie into the car's system such that I can operate it from the steering wheel, or am I going to be stuck with a power cable coming from the cigarette lighter getting tangled round the gear lever?

Secondly - where is the best place to get some 8C touchup paint?

Finally, is my model easily chipped, and if so, who in my vicinity (Bristol area) is best to contact and what improvements could I expect to see if I do chip it?

Cheers
Bernie

·
Registered
11 Posts
I used the caraudiocentre Nottingham they have stores across the country. There is a YouTube video of my install just search. Cost me around £1100 not cheap but worth it. Hope it helps

·
Registered
6,436 Posts
Search for sat navs, some including me are running a USB power cable from the glove box to the top dash cubby allowing you to put a sat nav there or use the cable to power a screen fitted type.
Paint chip pen. I have twice used a guy on Ebay.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I've just traded my old 159JTDm in for a 2013 Giulietta 1.75 Cloverleaf (in 8C red :happy: ) and was hoping someone could offer some advice on a couple of things for me.
Was this the one lady owner G for sale in Cardiff I think? Very nearly tempted myself. The search continues...

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes, it was the Cardiff one Kritter :) I was hooked as soon as I saw it, even before the test drive. The test drive clinched it - almost. It was due for its first cambelt change, but a bit of renegotiation and a new belt was fitted as part of the deal. The only downside to the car so far is the lack of parking sensors and it doesn't have the 68R port :(
I couldn't find your link CloverleafNige, but that route looks a bit out of my price range currently - thanks for the suggestion tho.
Looks like a USB powered unit is on the cards with the incumbent cables :( Does anyone know if the 68R port is retro fittable?

·
Premium Member
5,408 Posts
Hi Guys

First, I was hoping it was equipped with the TomTom Sat Nav port on the top of the dash, but unfortunately it isn't, there's just a lidded container with no port in it :(. Apart from the factory fit option, is there any sat nav marketed that I can tie into the car's system such that I can operate it from the steering wheel, or am I going to be stuck with a power cable coming from the cigarette lighter getting tangled round the gear lever?

Secondly - where is the best place to get some 8C touchup paint?

Finally, is my model easily chipped, and if so, who in my vicinity (Bristol area) is best to contact and what improvements could I expect to see if I do chip it?

Cheers
Bernie
You could change the head unit & have a double din system that works with the steering wheel controls. Connects 2 do a fascia panel......

Touch up paint: Chippex, £30 but it is by far and away the best touch up paint I've ever used.

Unfortunately can't help with the tuning....

·
Registered
6 Posts
DATA. Is not free
I'm sure you can get Sat nav apps that are pre loaded when you're on Wifi which means it pulls the data from the memory on the phone rather than over your 3/4G network. This not only saves data but also battery on your phone. This will vary depending on the OS of the phone.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Clamping down on Phones and Cars now though aren't they? Fancy getting caught messing with your phone, costing you 6 points and some cash and trying to explain to the Beaky that you was trying to program your satnav? I'd rather just have a separate dedicated Satnav.

I bought a 6 inch TomTom Sat nav and fixed it under the cubby hole lid and it folds away nicely when the lid is shut. I bought a USB splitter and ran a cable behind the dash and into the glove box so it has a perm power source and autostarts when the ignition is turned on but doesn't effect playing music through the usb either.

About as "oem" as I'd hope to get without spending hundred.

·
Premium Member
5,408 Posts
This is quite odd now! All the QVs I was looking at when I bought mine have been bought by people on here! I looked at that one in Cardiff & the one in Sutton in Ashfield when I was looking for one. I can only echo the comments already made, went to look, test drove it & the deposit was down. Absolutely love it!

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
That sounds like a neat installation liamski. Do you have any details how you fixed the screen and routed the cable?
Only the best on here andypj :)

·
Registered
552 Posts
That sounds like a neat installation liamski. Do you have any details how you fixed the screen and routed the cable?
Only the best on here andypj :)
TomTom satnavs come with nice compact suction mount that folds back on itself so you can store it away in a nice tight space ;) I used a decent quality double sided sticky pad in the suction cup to stick it to the underneath of the cover. I used a 6" screen so there was a bit of trial and error and pencil marking out involved in getting the satnav in the correct position. To far back and the screen would hit the rear of the storage as you closed the cover. To far forward and you'd not be able to flip it out with the cover open. In fact as the fit was that tight, I had to apply a little heat to the inside rear of the storage box to manipulate the plastic to give me an extra couple of mm's. A 5" satnav would be a simpler fit but a 6" satnav looks better.

With the storage out of the dash (two torques screws under the mat in the base) I just taped the cable to a wooden skewer and fed it down to the glove box and fed it through the rubber grommet inside the top of the glove box.

If you buy a cheap USB splitter and inside one of the sockets, apply a small slither of tape over the two central contacts so when the satnav is plugged in, it doesn't think it is connecting to pc and just uses the two outside connectors for power. That way, you can still use the second socket of the splitter for your phone or USB stick for music etc.

Link below has some pics.

http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/alfa-giulietta/1041546-glovebox-removal.html#post15568938

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I might well have a go at that mod myself. Rather than rely on blanking off the connections in the USB lead, I think I have a couple of power usb cables lying around that don't have the central contacts made. Did you use a Tom Tom 610 Liamski?

·
Registered
552 Posts
No sir. It's a Go 60.

Halfrauds had them for not much more than 100 quid before xmas.

Not sure if the mounting system is the same on the higher spec units.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Clamping down on Phones and Cars now though aren't they? Fancy getting caught messing with your phone, costing you 6 points and some cash and trying to explain to the Beaky that you was trying to program your satnav? I'd rather just have a separate dedicated Satnav.
Setting up a journey on Waze is no different from setting up a journey on a Satnav. Set it up, then drive.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts