Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Morning all,

Sorry I am sure this subject and question has been spoken about many times before.

Do you tell your insurance company that your Alfa has been remapped?

I know many companies won't insure a remapped car

·
Registered
250 Posts
Morning all,

Sorry I am sure this subject and question has been spoken about many times before.

Do you tell your insurance company that your Alfa has been remapped?

I know many companies won't insure a remapped car
Hi Matt.

Its always down to personal choice if you tell them or not, but you can be sure that if they find out and you had not disclosed a re map ( possibly if your car needed repairing following an accident etc ) the insurer would refuse to pay on the grounds that you had not informed them of a material change that increases the risk they insure. If you want to stay safe and above board there are companies that will cover you ( you're best going via a broker - I believe Greenlight are good for mods)

·
Registered
368 Posts
Hi Matt.

Its always down to personal choice if you tell them or not, but you can be sure that if they find out and you had not disclosed a re map ( possibly if your car needed repairing following an accident etc ) the insurer would refuse to pay on the grounds that you had not informed them of a material change that increases the risk they insure. If you want to stay safe and above board there are companies that will cover you ( you're best going via a broker - I believe Greenlight are good for mods)
Wouldn't even mention it personally, but as previously stated, your choice.

·
Registered
387 Posts
going to buy performance box and not going to mention anything to insurance company. they've increased the cover almost twice last two years blaming the rest of the world for high taxes and government levies they have to pay and i can imagine what my cover will cost me if they know car is remapped so yeah i won't tell them but you have to bear in mind mate that if anything happens and IF they find out you didn't mention a word about the remap you'll probable get charged i think

·
Registered
38,665 Posts
I would always tell the insurance company of a modification.

There is a good chance they will find out.

If you crash the car, a tuning box will be easy to spot as they will know what to look for.

A remap is more difficult to detect, but if the car was complete enough for them to check the map against a standard one they are likely also to do it.

Remember they do look for any excuse not to pay, so it is best not to give them one.

·
Registered
86 Posts
My choice has been to declare the remap. Adrian Flux were really well priced but they fell into the usual insurance company flaw of increasing policy cost at renewal by a good chunk. Have just moved to Chris Nott Insurance and got a fantastic price.

·
Registered
38,665 Posts
After being well and truely stung by Adrian Flux whilst changing a vehicle a couple of years back I avoid them.

I would rather pay a bit extra and go elsewhere.

LV insure modified vehicles, and they do come up if you go to the popular price comparison sites.

·
Registered
711 Posts
Unless the cause of any claim was the undeclared modification, insurers will pay out. If they discover the undeclared modification after a claim they will most likely charge you what you should be paying or deduct that amount from the claim settlement.

Best to declare though in my opinion, but then that's the industry I'm in. Most comparison websites will allow you to enter your mods when seeking quotes. You might be surprised how little a few tweeks to your pride and joy makes to your premium anyway.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Unless the cause of any claim was the undeclared modification, insurers will pay out. If they discover the undeclared modification after a claim they will most likely charge you what you should be paying or deduct that amount from the claim settlement.

Best to declare though in my opinion, but then that's the industry I'm in. Most comparison websites will allow you to enter your mods when seeking quotes. You might be surprised how little a few tweeks to your pride and joy makes to your premium anyway.
Time to come clean - I manage the motor claims dept for a large insurer and can say with certainty that goram is right in most of what he's said.

If your insurer discovers an undeclared mod such as a remap they would be within there rights to refuse to pay if it had a bearing on the claim ( almost certain to be the case if you have a fault accident - not so for vandalism, fire or theft claims) Insurers cannot simply deduct the extra premium from the settlement without your consent as Gorum suggests. Insurers can do this if you agree providing the additional premium/risk is within certain limits ( most wont do this and will refuse to pay if the extra risk/premuim is 25% more than the original, but this does vary from insurer to insurer and will depend on the under writers ). All insurers are legally required to "treat customer fairly" and this extends to those who are honest and declare mods upfront. Simply allowing customers to pay the additional premium after the event regardless of the size of the additional risk /premium wouldnt meet this requirement

Some insurers go by the letter of the contract you have with them and so repudiate more claims than others. As I and Goram originally said, its your choice, but you risk your claim being turned down if they find out you have rermapped your car and you are claiming for an accident that was your fault or partly your fault. Hope this helps

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
if its only a re-map then it's your call, in my case its hybrid turbo,re-map,bilstein b12 kit eibachs etc etc, the point is with a modified policy you can ensure that the payout you will get in the event of a total loss will take into account the cost of your modifications.

this was the ONLY reason why i went with Adrian flux as i just didn't want to find myself being offered a 3rd of the money sunk into the car in the event this happened, just a re-map and i would probably say nowt.

your car your choice, but they do look for reasons not to payout.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts