Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

my daughter turns 17 in november and will start learning to drive. Is anyone on here working in the insurance world able to offer any advice on the best way to insure her?

For example, get her own insurnance with her mother and myself as named drivers? Insure her as a named driver on one of our policies? Get a 10mth bonus accelerator policy? It seems endless in terems of options and the screenscraping sites don't seem to cover this scenario so I am confused-dot-com!!

Thanks

Andy

·
Registered
43,564 Posts
Hi,
my daughter turns 17 in november and will start learning to drive. Is anyone on here working in the insurance world able to offer any advice on the best way to insure her?
For example, get her own insurance with her mother and myself as named drivers? Insure her as a named driver on one of our policies? Get a 10mth bonus accelerator policy? It seems endless in terems of options and the screenscraping sites don't seem to cover this scenario so I am confused-dot-com!!
Thanks
Andy

We did this with our 17 year old - after being recommended it by a friend - and it worked out quite cheap for him really :) (It's cheaper to just have her mother as the named driver too ;))

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cheers Nomad. Who did you go with for her policy and did you go for a full 12 month or a accelerator one? If you don't mind me asking :)

·
Registered
3,436 Posts
Admiral, Elephant bell and Dimond are all the same company (EUI think there name is) and I found that if an insurance company could quote me "only" twice as much as an EUI quote they where doing very well!

Oh yes I'm on the 10 month policy. You get you no claims biult up slightly quicker but I pay in a lump sum to make it cheaper and with the 10 month policy it makes this slightly cheaper.

·
Registered
43,564 Posts
Cheers Nomad. Who did you go with for her policy and did you go for a full 12 month or a accelerator one? If you don't mind me asking :)
To tell you the truth I lost interest very early on in the proceedings :p :lol:

He's got a full 12 month policy that earns him his own no claims bonus which was the deciding factor in the decision to get that particular policy TBH :)

I'll get TFMN to text me the name of the Insurance Co during her lunch hour - approx 12 - 1pm - and post it up ;)

I know this year was cheaper to have his Mum as the named driver but that was before she picked up another 6 points on her licence :eek: :(

·
Registered
Giulia Quad, Cayman GT4, Cayenne Turbo
23,458 Posts
Direct Line are pretty good for insuring young drivers. As are admiral.

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
cheers guys, gives me some good starting points.

Will probably have a hunt round getting quotes this saturday (on-call so can't stray far from home!), what joy to look forward to!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hi, I'm from Australia so I don't know if this applies to you but I'm 17 and my 156 <<<< is insured under my parents' name. It's definitely the way to go. If I have a crash there's just a higher excess cost, but like I said, Australia.

·
Registered
7,154 Posts
Hi, I'm from Australia so I don't know if this applies to you but I'm 17 and my 156 <<<< is insured under my parents' name.
You're not allowed to do this over here. Chances are you'd probably get away with it, but I wouldn't want to risk it.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Best not to, its called fronting and is very disliked... they probably would void a claim too if it could be proved without doubt (which is difficult). As its your daughter try diamond (womens part of EUI|), do the policy under her name even with a prov lic she can earn NCB. Get an oldish little car in her name take a 10mnth policy tpft with the missus on (if she has a clean lic) or yourself and pay by card

·
Registered
12,881 Posts
My plan when my daughters get to that age is to buy them an old banger (£500) and then insure them on that ... would you really want a 17yo driving your bella!!!:wow:

·
Registered
14 Posts
Sorry for being completely useless, but what I meant is that technically, the car is owned by my parents', and in the event of an accident there is a larger excess fee if the driver is under 25, which doesn't necessarily refer to me. So I'm really just borrowing my parents car. This probably doesn't help but I tried, so, sorry for trying.

·
Premium Member
3,428 Posts
Dear Andy,
Good news, girls are cheaper to insure than boys ! That said do ask how much the premium increases when she passes the test our son's premium went up 50% ! Do pass plus as soon as possible after passing test, many insurers give hefty discounts with it. We ended up buying a pre-reg Punto for a hefty discount, and found Quinn direct the most competitive. Have just renewed with them. Do shop around as often the same insurer offers different rates . Hope this helps. Wish your daughter safe and happy motoring.
All the best
Andrew

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
When my son passed his test 2 years agao, it was cheaper for me to buy him a new car (2006 VW Golf 1.4) and insure that in his name, rather than insure him in any of the Alfas we have. I also looked at re-registering an old 33 I have lying around, but the cost of getting it MOT'd and insuring that in his name would still have worked out more expensive (in the long run) Plus, he didn't want to be seen by his mates in an 'old Alfa!' - His words, not mine

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
Been through this twice recently and this is what worked for us.

Insured in my name a old banger (fiat tipo 1.4) 3rd party only. I use it as the local runaround so it's not their car exactly. Her element costs around an extra £100 through directline.

Relevant points:
- old cars seems to be far cheaper to insure (something out lower mileage on slower roads - hence far lower insurance payouts). They can also be treated as disposable, so if they back into a lamp post or something there are no big bills and no insurance claims (assuming no 3rd party damage). Old cars have better visibility but lower safety ratings.
- directline also do NCB on named drivers. So two years of this, add an advanced drivers course, and with the money saved they can afford the insurance on a decent car of their own, and have skills to continue building their NCB.

More Alfa Romeo Insurance Advice

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
thanks for all the advice everyone. We already have the car, an old VW polo 1 litre. So now just need to follow your suggestions and get some good quotes.

·
Registered
276 Posts
When the missus was learning, getting the NCB was our top priority. a banger and TPFT is about the cheapest way of getting a NCB and avoids dubious legal territory of fronting etc.

·
AO Traders
596 Posts
Hi,

For example, get her own insurnance with her mother and myself as named drivers? Insure her as a named driver on one of our policies? Get a 10mth bonus accelerator policy? It seems endless in terems of options and the screenscraping sites don't seem to cover this scenario so I am confused-dot-com!!

Thanks

Andy
Hi,

If it would help i could arrange a call back from one of our underwriters to give some advice?

Dan.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts