Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
can anyone recommend a good insurer that is cheap, been driving over 20 years have many yrs ncd i am now unfortunatly over 40 lol but still cant seem to pay less than £800 on my 147 51 plate. having another baby soon so need to make some savings. any help would be appriciated. thanks tony. :)

·
Registered
11,159 Posts
can anyone recommend a good insurer that is cheap, been driving over 20 years have many yrs ncd i am now unfortunatly over 40 lol but still cant seem to pay less than £800 on my 147 51 plate. having another baby soon so need to make some savings. any help would be appriciated. thanks tony. :)
have used Swiftcoverfor last 3 yrs for my 159, around 300 for FC protected and legal., got wife's funesta with them too 240 for that. good luck

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
cheers lads ill have a look. my father in law pays about £300 for his bike and car lol but then hes ony got a mondeo.....no wonder lol. dreading putting the missus on the policy when she passes she's 28 and as a new driver, think we may have to get seperate cars!!

M

·
0 Posts
Gotta use compare the market and money supermarket.

Every company will give every person a diffrent quote. Depending on all sorts of variables (and the type of business they want, what they need their new customer numbers to do). So asking who is cheap for someone else is not gonna help.

Eg. I am 36 with full NCD no accidents or points, swiftcover were most expensive for me on compare the market (something like £1600 or there abouts). In end cheapest was £390 fully comp for my 2005 156 2.4 mjet veloce.

Shows the difference though. Do not just stay with a company at renewal though. Do you know they apply a score to every customer at renewal which is a model on how likely you are to move company based on how much they push up your premium. High chance of moving and type of customer they want and price won't go up loads.... Otherwise they will price your renewal at what they think you will stand not based on your specific risk.

As I object to this practice and think it is even quite dodgy as it is not pricing you as a customer. I always swap company every year. Sometimes I then use my best price to push my current companys price down (if I like them and saves paying a new deposit).

Good luck getting a good price.

John

D

·
0 Posts
My details are similar to yours - obviously dont know what you do for a living or the exact area you live but I'm less than £300 a year with Privilege and thats for a 2.0 gtv. My 147 sele was around that too.

Could be I'll get a huge shock with my renewal coming next month and it mightve shot up but £800 ??????

As said try the various compare sites - even tho the prices tend to be the same-ish sometimes one will be offering a 0% deal with monthly payments when others aren't.

Good luck

·
Registered
11,159 Posts
one thing to bear in ind if your gonna trawl the comparison sites is that every quote you apply for gets marked on your credit rating ! I was told this by a person working in a insurance call centre !

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
my renewal has just come through from Aviva £253 fully comp, protected NCB for a 1.9 JTD 156 SW doing 28k miles per year. Through the web I could only get the down by a further £5 so I will not bother about switch (this year at least).

It would be worth checking some of the companies that do not use comparision sites as they can do beter deals (sometimes).

·
Registered
503 Posts
A lot of it comes down to where you live and where you park the car, but £800 for a twinny, with load of ncd seems a tad expensive. I only pay around £300 for my GTA SW - curiously about the same as for my GT JTD. Try the comparison sites though, but be aware they'll spam you with emails forever after - the furry animal one is particularly bad at unsubscribing.

I used Swiftcover for a while, but switched to LV recently. As long as you keep an eye out for the renewal hike, and are ruthless about moving to another insurer if it gets too high, you should be able to get that quote down a bit.

·
Registered
860 Posts
hi try AVIVA got my GT JTDM ins for £320 protected N/C offering 12 months for price of 10 at the min.Some of the better ins comp give better quote if you go direct not through a comparison site .

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
I go on the net and find the best quote then phone Tesco's and get them to better it..... if they cant get the rest in clubcard points :p

·
Registered
237 Posts
I got my renewal notice through the other day from Direct Line, and was suprised to see my insurance has gone down by over £70 this year.
I had to argue my case with Direct Line last year because they hiked my insurace up by over £100 last year, from the previous year, and when I confronted them about why it had gone up so much, they transfered me to a valued customer care line, who agreed to knock £40 off my insurance!

I would suggest giving Direct Line ago!:)

·
Registered
413 Posts
one thing to bear in ind if your gonna trawl the comparison sites is that every quote you apply for gets marked on your credit rating ! I was told this by a person working in a insurance call centre !
Well, yeah, they WOULD say that, wouldn't they? Just to scare you. Mention "Credit Rating" these days and most people wet their pants! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
69 Posts
Try Axa insurance. I compared on confused.com ect and my best price for my 2001 156 was £750. Im 32, 6 years NCB, no points. Went to Axa and they quoted £400 for fully comp, protected NCB. Legal was £25 extra.

·
Registered
413 Posts
I got my renewal notice through the other day from Direct Line, and was suprised to see my insurance has gone down by over £70 this year.
I had to argue my case with Direct Line last year because they hiked my insurace up by over £100 last year, from the previous year, and when I confronted them about why it had gone up so much, they transfered me to a valued customer care line, who agreed to knock £40 off my insurance!

I would suggest giving Direct Line ago!:)
Be careful though, Direct Line like to advertise the fact that they're not on price comparison websites. Its not because they're awesome, or exclusive, its because they are TOO F**Kin EXPENSIVE! (I remember when they used to be on those sites, lol!) :thumbs:

·
Registered
237 Posts
Be careful though, Direct Line like to advertise the fact that they're not on price comparison websites. Its not because they're awesome, or exclusive, its because they are TOO F**Kin EXPENSIVE! (I remember when they used to be on those sites, lol!) :thumbs:
I have never had a real problem with Direct line. I have always found them to be the most competative for me. Its very rare that I find another insurer that is cheaper for me, and if I do they will usually match it.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I have never had a real problem with Direct line. I have always found them to be the most competative for me. Its very rare that I find another insurer that is cheaper for me, and if I do they will usually match it.
Same here :thumbs:

·
Registered
282 Posts
i use National Farmers Union wales, (nfu)
and found them to be great ive got My car (2.4TI 159) the wifes car (renualt modus) my house buildings and content my motor bike and life insurance for both me and the wife and pay just over £1100 per year.
ive had to make a few claims off them in the past years and always found them a pleasure to deal with, 159 1.9 was written off last year and had a chq in my hands a week later!, water damage last winter and the Next day i had a new fridge and a chq in my hand for the rest of the bits you cant say fairer than that imo.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts