Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
25,673 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi chaps and chapettes,

Some of you will know that unfortunately I have had to make 2 claims on my car insurance within a space of 2 weeks, my insurance has come up for renewal and has risen from £350 a year to £1075 a year.

I have rung Adrian Flux my broker and they have said this is because both claims are pending classification so for intents and purposes I have ZERO no claims bonus.

My 1st claim was for a none fault accident where another driver ran into the back of me but as it happened early December this is still pending.

My 2nd claim is because a week later my car had some sort of failure and rolled down the hill outside my house into a neighbours car then continued down the hill into a dry stone wall.

My car is lightly modified, so this is obviously going to have an affect on my insurance premium. I've been on money supermarket and had a quote of £561 from Norwich Union simple Cover however they make 'assumptions' that include the car not being modified.

I really don't like the idea of paying £1075 a year insurance for a 1.6 hatch and I think the outcome will be that through the second claim i'll lose my no claims bonus anyway, I don't really want to take my car back to standard but may have to as although I can afford insurance at that price I cannot justify paying it for the class of car.

I don't really know where I'm going with this, but I think it's completely killed off my dream of swapping my car for an S2000 or 350Z for a few years and I just want some sympathy and someone to come along and say that's okay, we'll insure you for your £350 a year no worries.

:cry: :cry: :cry:

Effin cars, effin walls, effin hills. :(

·
Registered
4,150 Posts
String of bad luck there! Sorry to hear that.

I am insured with more than - a non-fault claim does not effect your premium (does with most companies) but you may still find a problem as claims are still pending. I find their website good and easy to work with as you can amend mileage, cover type, excesses etc. to see what effect they have on premium. You may have to go for a high excess to gain a good quote, try it out - Car Insurance UK | Online Car Insurance Quote | Home Insurance | Pet Insurance | MORE TH>N

You may have to keep the quote ref. and call up to discuss your mods.

·
Registered
16,710 Posts
Bad luck - the one where you've been rear-ended shouldn't have effected you insurance - however, you'll definitely loose your non-claim bonus for the 2nd claim :(

Probably the best thing to do is swallow hard and remember to get protected no claim bonus next time :(

·
Vendor
46,000 Posts
What modifications have you done to it?

Sorry to hear bout this, its bad news :(

·
Registered
25,673 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What modifications have you done to it?
Autodelta Sports Filter and Induction Kit
Tarox Japan Sport 2000 Discs and Pads
Uprated brake fluid
Ragazzon Group N Centre Section and Oval Tailpipe

Cheers for the extra info peeps, i'll check out more than and confused.com

:thumbs:

·
Vendor
46,000 Posts
I doubt the brakes bump your premium up. Try asking AF which modifications do the most 'damage' regarding your premium. My bet would be the filter and exhaust, I doubt you'd even have to declare the brake fluid.

·
Registered
16,710 Posts
You could try Lancaster too...

·
Registered
25,673 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Someone on moneysupermarket forums who I think may be someone who works in the insurance business said that my fault claim should only count for knocking off 2 years of NCB leaving me with 1 years when the claims are sorted out.

Quite an informative forum that is, the guys who have posted on my thread have over 80,000 posts between them :eek:

·
Registered
25,673 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Someone on moneysupermarket forums who I think may be someone who works in the insurance business said that my fault claim should only count for knocking off 2 years of NCB leaving me with 1 years when the claims are sorted out.

Quite an informative forum that is, the guys who have posted on my thread have over 80,000 posts between them :eek:

·
Registered
25,673 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Okay so with some researching and phoning around managed to get somebody to quote me £800 Fully Comp with all mods declared.

Adrian Flux have beaten this quote with staying with my current insurer and advised me that I actually had 4 yrs NCB at my last renewal which rather sickeningly means I could have protected my NCB last year :cry: if Adrian Flux had told me this was available.

So, once the none fault claim is settled i'll only lose 2 years of my NCB for the fault claim, leaving me with 2 years NCB and a premium around £500 fully comp for my modified motor.

Unfortunately my excess will be £600 so please GOD if your reading AlfaOwner please please please let me not have a crash next year, i'll be a good boy, honest :)

·
Registered
3,301 Posts
Okay so with some researching and phoning around managed to get somebody to quote me £800 Fully Comp with all mods declared.

AlfaOwner please please please let me not have a crash next year, i'll be a good boy, honest :)

Hi,GhostyDog:)
Pleased that you have managed to reduce the quotes.:)
" Will you be able to get a further reduction once the outstanding claims are dealt with?"
John.t.l.

·
Registered
16,710 Posts
GD, would it not be cheaper getting a bog standard 140 bhp 1.8 or even 2.0 156, rather htan paying for a modified 120 bhp 147?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts