Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my 156 is a 53 plate, valued at £3500 on a 8000 mile fully comp policy. It costs me £434 a year to insure.

why is a brand new 2010 plate alfa spider 2.4 worth nearly 30k only £314 a year (exactly same details) same excess £200?

i dont understand

but it makes me want a spider now :D

·
Registered
9,592 Posts
Doesn't appear to make sense - but of course the majority of insurance payouts aren't related to the value of your car...its what you hit and the personal injury claims.....

·
Registered
336 Posts
was this with the same insurer? Safety features figure highly on insurance group ratings. i.e. does the spider have umpteen airbags side impact protection, anti sub seats ABS etc etc?

·
Registered
3,130 Posts
because if you have an accident in a new spider you're less likely to be injured or die than in a 156 and the general repair cost for a spider could be less as development for low speed impacts <9mph has improved a lot over the years too

·
Registered
336 Posts
because if you have an accident in a new spider you're less likely to be injured or die than in a 156 and the general repair cost for a spider could be less as development for low speed impacts <9mph has improved a lot over the years too
Unlikely to have any impact on premiums re the driver as death / injury benefit is a set amount and therefore known. However injuries to passengers would be a factor as these are treated as third parties and the costs for these are unknown.

·
Registered
15,172 Posts
Unlikely to have any impact on premiums re the driver as death / injury benefit is a set amount and therefore known.
The point is that you're less likely to be injured or die in a newer car. Therefore, less risk of them needing to pay out, therefore lowering the premium.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Your correct in the fact that anyone is less likely to die in a new car but it is the injury of passengers that is relevant to the cost of any premiums as the injury or death to a driver is a benefit on most comprehensive policies and this is a known cost. It is the unkown potential costs that drive up your premiums and therefore anything that reduces this possible risk is a positive factor on premiums charged. i.e. the third party element

·
Registered
3,130 Posts
well insurance rating crash tests in europe are based on a low speed front and rear impact and then an assessment as to how much it would cost ro repair, i think side impact is done as a pure assessment

as to occupant injury I do know that whiplash (no jokes please) is one of the main things insurance companies have to pay out for ... oh and I know someone who did his doctorate on whiplash in a rear end vehicle collision

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i suppose that the fact that im 31 helps and i live in a relatively low crime area and that the car is garaged

V

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
insurance is strange ive never figured out why it is cheaper fully comp than 3rd party on the alfa, was the same with my bm and probe aswell :confused:

·
Registered
336 Posts
most of the risk is the third party risk. A lot of insurers will not issue third party only cover.When calculating comprehensive premiums insurers factor in the age of the car which attracts a discount ( rather than using value as a gauge). As third party does not need to take into account the value of your car there is no discount on account of it's age. You will often find that with newer cars, insurers will not offer third party only cover (this is kind of historical going back to when a premium was attached to comprehensive and therefore insurers didnt want to take on the third party risk as it didnt use to attract enough premium, As you say it can seem kind of complicated:)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts