Alfa Romeo Forum banner

41 - 48 of 48 Posts

·
Vendor
45,421 Posts
I'm in South Africa on business currently - but when I get home on Friday and MrsDibnah fills me in on the latest gory details I have missed over this week on #RSA-Gate I shall construct a suitably expletive laden update on this saga that could potentially cause even our most follicly challenged comrades to get a little curlier.

(Quick Coronavirus update - a team of 4 of us flew down to Johannesburg to meet 5 of our people here for a face to face set of meetings. Our arrival from plague-infested Europe has induced such panic in the office here that the 5 people we came to meet have all joined our sessions over video conference from their houses for fear of having to touch us or breathe the same air as us. Therefore we have flown half way round the world to sit in an empty Johannesburg office speaking to our SA colleagues from the safety of their homes in the suburbs of Johannesburg. Does anyone else feel that the thick end of 20k on flights and hotels for us has been a little casual cost-wise?)
Is a face-to-face meeting worth the thick end of £20k when it can be done via video conference anyway? Presumably you're in a pretty senior job role in the company you work for?

·
Registered
11,209 Posts
Does anyone else feel that the thick end of 20k on flights and hotels for us has been a little casual cost-wise?)
Yes, but your company's finances will likely barely notice.
The effect on the environment of this and the many thousands of similar superfluous business trips is to me a more concerning issue.😐

Video conferences ftw!!

Maybe covid-19 might have the unforeseen benefit of reducing pointless business flights where carbon footprint concerns failed? Every cloud etc.......

·
Registered
7,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
So these last few weeks we have been shunted from pillar to post between Claims departments, call centres and loss adjusters/assessors. This after several weeks of trying to get quotes from 3 separate builders/gardeners.

Like all these big t0ssing organizations - no chuffer has a clue what is happening elsewhere in their own pigging corporations. Claims have "passed it on", call centres have "escalated", assessors have "assessed" and it's always someone else who they have to check with to find out what is happening next.

This week we finally found someone reasonably helpful from the assessors area who had at least found the details of the accident, the pictures we sent of the damage and all the quotes. Sadly this person was not authorized to actually make any payments - but she DID say that she could approve the quote that we could go for (which was the one we wanted to use).

So yesterday and today MrsDibnah had to call in (and hang on for 20 minutes each time) to speak to someone who could approve a payment. And finally, after almost 3 months, we have the green light to get the work done by the builder we wanted to use.

So now we have to await a payment reference email which should come tomorrow (saturday) and on the receipt of which we can instruct the builder. The payment will be sent to us within 5 business days and it's up to us to then pay the builder once we are happy with the work.

We will, therefore, have done EVERYTHING associated with this accident remediation. We have contacted the insurance company, got the quotes, handled the queries from the builders re timing and payment method, chased the insurers, wasted endless time on the phone negotiating on the process, and now we will get the money with which we then have to use to organize the builder, schedule the work and then pay them.

It's going to be 4 months end to end by the time the accident (which was chuff all to do with us) is finally closed out.

I realize that we put in most of the hours on legwork, but it also shows massive inefficiencies in these big orgs. All departments we spoke to at RSA bemoaned the proces they have to follow. The call centre complain about others not contacting us when they said they would, the claims department blame the assessors for not responding to them, the assessors bad mouth the call centres and claims departments as not having a clue what they are doing - and we have to provide the glue and the agony aunt role to keep it all moving.

At some point in January - a single empowered person in RSA who was setup to close this out could have done all of this in 10 minutes.

Anyway - we are (all but) done. I shall post pictures of the finished wall sometime in April!

Woohoo.......

·
Registered
507 Posts
So this is a lesson for all of us: the opening question of every conversation should be "what is your name", followed later in the conversation "I'm sorry, I didn't catch your name" and early on in the process they are informed that time spent doing their work or on hold will be added to the final claim at either £10/hour (not unreasonable) or what you're actually paid by your employer.

41 - 48 of 48 Posts