Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

anybody on here an insurance expert? I have a question concerning my renewal and don't trust the company I am with to give me a straight answer.

Basically I had 5 years no claims this time last year and took out a policy with swiftcover as they were very competitive. Then I had an accident last year in my wife's. Only a little fender bender, informed them but no claim was made on this policy. The claim was paid for by my wife's insurance as it was her car and under her policy I was insured to drive 3rd party.

Now my renewal has come thru and they have me as having only 3 years no claims. Is this right? I made no claim on this policy and yet I lose 3 years no claims?

Thanks

Andy:(

·
Registered
15,299 Posts
Hi, as I understand it you should have notified your insurers and they might 'pre-load' it; but as you haven't made a claim on your insurance you should still have the full 5 years; although your wifes would have been reduced.

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Kevin thats what I thought. I've just emailed them to clarify this. I'll also be getting a quote from Adrian Flux so I'll see what they say the situation should be as well.

·
Registered
785 Posts
I agree with Kevin.

·
Registered
2,485 Posts
As above, I'd expect you to still have five years (or really six years, now) no claims discount, although that discount would now be applied to a premium that is higher to reflect the fact that you've had an accident and are perceived as a slightly worse risk.

·
Banned
7,679 Posts
But did your wifes insurer pay for the damage as a no fault claim- being 50-50

And therefore paid out based on this but took your name as the liable party and not your wife?

This would mean that your no-claims would be affected on your personal policy?

Its [email protected] I know but insurers do work on risk assesment, and you pose a risk as your name went down as being involved in an accident within the last year.

Chris

·
Premium Member
7,631 Posts
I agree with Chrisbd. Same thing happened in my family a few years back, little sis crashed in mothers car. The following year sis's insurance AND mothers were affected. Another way to screw you Im afraid.:(

·
Registered
4,150 Posts
That makes sense PR - Your mothers premum goes up as it was her policy the claim was made on, hence loss in no claims bonus. Your sisters premium goes up as she has had an accident and therefore has a pre-loaded policy although no change to no claims bonus.

Andrew should now have 6 years NCB but with a slightly higher start premium due to acident!

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I was assuming that it would be my wife who loses on her no claim as the claim is on her policy. My premium would go up due to the accident but my no claims should be the same as before.

I'll post an update once I've clarified this!

·
Premium Member
7,631 Posts
Yes but they ask if you've had any claims in the last year, not anyones policies you might be on have had claims

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
PR said:
Yes but they ask if you've had any claims in the last year, not anyones policies you might be on have had claims
that's why I was asking as I wondered which way it worked. So basically it is the insurance company shafting me and my wife as they will now load both our premiums :mad: I hate insurance companies :mad:

·
Registered
507 Posts
Andy,
did you have no claims protection? A lot of companies now offer this with basically no charge and with some I think it's just a default part of a fully comp policy. They certainly won't pipe up and say you do. I've had really cheap rates last couple of years with quinn direct. You might give them a try. I found them by doing a rate search on http://www.moneysupermarket.com/insurancedefault.asp?Source=IS. Good luck!
Neil

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
thanks Neil, will try them for a quote. I didn't have no claims protection, unfortunately I didn't bother as it was a fairly pricey option at the time.

·
Registered
4,150 Posts
PR said:
In my exerience they ask if you've had any accidents or claims in the last five years (three years with some companies).

·
Registered
2,917 Posts
Risk assessment (premium loading) should be different to NCBs.

When you renew/change insurer and declare the accident you may have a loading to your premium to reflect your slightly higher risk.

You should not have your NCBs affected. An NCB is a discount as you have not made a claim.

However, if your insurer does try and reduce your NCB then you should ask them to provide details of all the paperwork where YOU have made a claim on the policy. If they cannot provide that ask them to provide a copy of the letter they sent you where they notified you that a 3rd party claim was being made against your policy (i.e. the 3rd party's insurer).

If they cannot provide either then just stand your ground and say that they can't reduce your NCB where has been no claim. Argue that a customer's reasonable expectation is that a no claims bonus means exactly that, if no claim then bonus remains intact. Stick to this even if there is a clause in the conditions that says different (as their terminonolgy is misleading).

Ask them to put everything in writing and ask them for details of who you can raise complaint with if you are still not satisfied (i.e. Insurance Ombundsman).

Basically you make it easier for them to leave your NCB intact than to incur all the administration hassle of dealing with your complaint.

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Happy days :) Got my NCB back up to 5years after trying to get fobbed off. Their help dept told me to call claims, claims listened and transferred me to policy dept. They said they couldn't help I had to speak to claims. Got really ****ed off and told her to take mmy number, sort it out and call me back.

All credit to her, she did exactly that. NCB back up to 5yrs, premium down by over £100! It's as someone else said, my premium is up slightly due to risk assesment (eg I had an accident) but I made no claim on anyone's policy and nobody claimed on my policy so NCB not affected.

:)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts