Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
748 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Short while back a myopic **** runs into my PARKED car. Totally his fault, and all settled on his insurance. Fine. I thought.

Come to renew my insurance - and even though accident nothing to do with me, it adds £300 to my premium. If it HAD been my fault and I'd claimed, that would have added £350 to it. I have phoned around, and this seems to be across the board...can we all say "price fixing"........

Go figure.

Anyway - is this fair, and if not how can I appeal. Needless to say speaking to them on the phone helped not a jot. Is there an ombudsman that deals with car insurance ( I did google but found not a lot )

This blatant greed makes me :mad: :mad: :mad:

·
Registered
2,917 Posts
Financial Ombudsman Service

They deal with insurance matters. You need to make a formal complaint to your insurer (keep it polite and ask them to justify the increase in premium for a no fault accident where the damages would have been paid for by the other parties insurer). Make it clear that if you are not satisfied with their response you will be referring the matter to the ombudsman.

Companies have to pay a fee to FOS for every complaint referred so it is often cheaper to accept your complaint then pay the FOS charge.

Also ask specifically "how they consider it to be treating customers fairly to penalise you for a claim that you were not at fault for". Treating Customers Fairly is an initiative by the Financial Services Authority which tends to cause insurance firms a little bit of panic at the moment!

See also http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/...punishing-claimants-with-higher-premiums.html

The article is a bit dismissive of the TCF angle but hopefully your insurer hasn't seen it. :lol: If nothing else you might want to mention the Which! concerns about this practice and that you will be contacting them as well unless their letter clarifies exactly how your revised premium has been arrived at, what factors have been involved and what statistics they have used to arrive at this pricing structure.

With a possible referral to FOS, a negative mention in Which!, a whiff that they might not be treating customers fairly and the cost of an expensive underwriter having to write a detailed explanation of their premium pricing... they will probably just give in... good luck

And yes I do work in Financial Services :lol:

·
Registered
30,126 Posts
Did they recover the claim from the idiots insurance? If not, they will class it as a claim:(

1 - 5 of 5 Posts