Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I am looking to buy a Mito Veloce 155 second hand from an Alfa dealer and have been offered a good deal on a set of 18" Quadrifoglio wheels.But insurance company puts a dampner on it by saying it will increase the premium.Do you feel this is fair as I would be fitting what are in effect an alfa option.I suggested to the woman on the phone that i wasn't a boy racer and that it was typical insurance sharp practice.
What have others done who have fitted 18" wheels?
thanks

·
Registered
25,673 Posts
Anything available as a factory option is not an aftermarket upgrade and you don't even need to tell them.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
that is what i told them but they just work to a set sheet of modifications. even the salesman sort of cringed when i ask if i should tell them.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I renewed my insurance last month, with manufacturer option bodykit and alloy wheels, one company quoted an increased premium due to the modifications, however another (who I ended up insuring with) told me that as they were dealer options, they don't count as modifications. Must just depend on the insurer.

·
Registered
7,768 Posts
If your car is stolen, written off or involved in an accident unless you have told them then you can kiss them goodbye! If they really wanted to be cruel they would say that they are a mod that you have not told them about and it has invalidated your insurance.

·
Registered
6,834 Posts
I've changed the alloys on 2 previous cars to after market wheels, i told the insurance both times and they said unless it affects performance or accelaration it doesn't count but if anything happened they would just put it back to how it left the factory :). never paid anymore for that either

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
another mito i missed out on came with the 18" wheels so if i had phoned the insurers for a quote being none the wiser i would've said it was standard.even doing a tyre search for the car i am ask if the car has 17's or 18's.

·
Registered
349 Posts
This brings up another question actually. If it does have an impact on insurance, how would you stand if you bought a car (lets say a 147 for sake of argument) which the previous owner had upgraded themselves post purchase with original option Alfa wheels and leather interior.

As you don't know the history of the car, you have no idea if these are standard or not, and thus would not even know they were modifications to tell the insurer!

Clearly some cheap and nasty Wolfrace alloys are a dead giveaway, but with the above situation?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts