Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got mine about a month ago had to pay £56 till my insurance renewal next month (tesco).

Got me renewal today £530 fully comp with daughter (28) as named driver. We've both had minor shunts 2010 & 2011

Now I know I only had a 1.2 Clio before the Alfa but that's a bit rich.

I'll be an OAP in six months. Do you think it's Ageism:D

Told to try Rias Insurance (it's for old farts apparently) anybody heard of them.

I know if you have a bump you have to deal with the Insurers direct. Don't like the Brokers who just take the money.

·
Registered
242 Posts
RIAS is for over 50's along with Castle. These and Kwik-Fit and Tesco are brands of Ageas Insurance, once known as Fortis. 3rd biggest uk car insurer.

·
Banned
4,362 Posts
Try One Call ....350 fully comp for me and the missus with all the usual extras of breakdown
cover , windscreen cover etc etc etc 6 mods notified and price guaranteed for 3 years if no claims made on the policy ...:thumbs: (Age 53)
Tried those over 50 ones before and they are far dearer :confused:

·
Registered
177 Posts
aviva for me 194 Fully Comp , for me and the misses , one pending from 3 years ago , going to court next week at last .1.3 D

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thought I'd ring the Insurance company about me quote.

Out of the three things I notified them about quadro alloys, satin coloured head/rear lights,mirrors they only had the alloys down and wanted another £20 for the windows to take me up to my renewal date in 17 days time or she would invalidate me insurance and wanted to know if I wanted to be removed from automatic renewal..

So from £ 530 it now stands at £785 for next year.

I never did like Tescos.

·
Registered
803 Posts
Ouch, thats more than me on modified car insurance!!

It does pay to shop around, and I am not just talking about confused.com et al. Ring some old fashioned brokers.

GK

·
Registered
48 Posts
New customers tend to get a better deal than existing ones with auto renewal. The insurance companys rely on the apathy of people who can't be bothered to look around (well it's easier to do nothing and just let the thing roll over each year).

You could try entering a new quote at Tesco and see what it comes up with. If cheaper, ring them up and they'll match it.

I'm with swift cover £280 fully comp with modified exhaust/parking sensors. Moving to LV shortly. (I'm 52 btw :eek: )

If you're willing to take the time to do the internet stuff and don't mind getting the odd bit of spam form the insurers, you'll probably get your price down quite a bit.

Also an insurnace company is only as good as it's claims department. Cheapest is not always the best!

Good luck.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
My beef is that they had not recorded what I told them.Amd charged me another admin fee to record what I'd already told them

I rang one company yesterday and they weren't bothered about Factory fitted extras seeing it as cosmetic which it is. rang them again today and they confirmed the same.

·
Registered
Giulia Quad, Cayman GT4, Cayenne Turbo
23,458 Posts
Factory fitted extras do not class as modifications so you shouldn't need to declare any of them! They are having a giraffe with you!

If you were fitting aftermarket (non alfa OEM alloys) or different suspension then it would be a different matter!

·
Registered
23,458 Posts
Factory fitted options NO; after market (even Alfa Dealer) options YES.
Rubbish. So if you sell your car to someone then for the rest of it's life it has to have these options declared as mods. I think not.

It's a grey area I admit, but if they options fitted by the dealer are available on the car when ordered from the factory then there is no reason to declare.

·
Registered
48 Posts
It's not rubbish actually. I worked in a motor insurance department for 20 years so have sufficient knowledge to know what I'm talking about. Also backed up by my current insurer and local Alfa dealer.

Please check your facts before commenting as it helps to be accurate.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I would also add that if you have an accident and a loss adjuster is sent out to examine the damage and you have aftermarket options that are not declared (however minor), the insurance company are within their rights not to pay out.

I've experienced this from working in the industry (not to me thankfully) on several occasions.

Always, always let them know of any aftermarket options, they don't always charge you extra.

·
Registered
68 Posts
The problem I've always had with buying secondhand cars is what is a mod/aftermarket option?

Unless you know the marque/model intimately or have a detailed spec in front of you exactly how do you know what to declare? :confused:

·
Registered
23,458 Posts
It's not rubbish actually. I worked in a motor insurance department for 20 years so have sufficient knowledge to know what I'm talking about. Also backed up by my current insurer and local Alfa dealer.

Please check your facts before commenting as it helps to be accurate.
I would also add that if you have an accident and a loss adjuster is sent out to examine the damage and you have aftermarket options that are not declared (however minor), the insurance company are within their rights not to pay out.

I've experienced this from working in the industry (not to me thankfully) on several occasions.

Always, always let them know of any aftermarket options, they don't always charge you extra.
You haven't answered my question. Just gave a typical keyboard warrior reply.

I can imagine the assessor going out to the vehicle and saying "oh yes I can see you have the sat nav added after the car was built (say for example it was done at the dealer), im afraid that this voids your policy"...

·
Registered
23,458 Posts
The problem I've always had with buying secondhand cars is what is a mod/aftermarket option?

Unless you know the marque/model intimately or have a detailed spec in front of you exactly how do you know what to declare? :confused:
Exactly.

It's a totally flawed system. Most cars you buy second hand don't come with the original invoice and list of options fitted.. (although arguably you could possibly get hold of it.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Please don't shoot the messenger.
I'm only reporting what goes on in the motor claims industry through hands-on experience.

Not saying it's right or wrong, but if you don't tell them and you have a prang, then it's your lookout.

It's all about risk at the end of the day and I can't see a valid reason for not informing your insurer of anything that you feel falls outside of the standard specification.

If they get a chance to not pay out, then believe me, they'll take it and waiting for an accident to find out is a fools game IMO, but each to their own. :)

1 - 20 of 26 Posts