Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Just wondered if anyone that has contract hire cars can recommend good insurers. I've noticed a huge price difference between quotes depending if I am the legal owner/registered keeper compared to the contract hire company being legal owner/keeper.

I have one quote that seems ok, but the choice of insurers is much less.

Any help would be much appreciated!

Thanks

·
Registered
11,614 Posts
Try Kwik Fit

·
Registered
172 Posts
I'd be interested in who you go with - ill be insuring a contract hire car next month - like you say the quotes I have are at least 200 pounds more than for privately owned cars.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the responses so far. It seems I am not at the list of what most insurers want at the moment :(

I have one goodish quote with performance direct at £600. KwiK-Fit and Swinton both over £1200. Swift not as bad at £800.

I'll keep on trying, tbh £600 is not end of the world.

Main reason for the post is when I used the comparison sites such as compare the market and go compare half the insurers say they will not insure if not legal owner. Another 40% of quotes are over £1400 and 10% fight it out within a couple of hundred of what I expected. I was not aware the legal owner thing would be such an issue. Maybe they expect you not to care for the car??

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just checked with my insurance company and my premium will go up by 12 a year.

Try swiftcover.com

My total premium is £38 a month so around £440 a year.
Out of interest do you know if you are registered keeper with Fiat Auto Contracts? My brother has a contract Audi and he is not legal owner but is registered keeper.

When I asked the question of Alfa I'm not sure the guy understood what I meant. But I have noticed that the main difference in price is dependant on if registered keeper or not. Legal owner limits the choice even more, but does not effect the price.

·
Registered
7,179 Posts
When I double checked with Direct Line - the price came DOWN!

Be careful though, if you write the car off they pay market value - but that doesnt get you out of your contract, even after paying them the insurance value you will still owe 40% of the remaining payments, as, in effect, you are terminating early

Ask your dealer about GAP insurance to cover this, I got it, peace of mind,

·
Registered
16,125 Posts

Be careful though, if you write the car off they pay market value - but that doesnt get you out of your contract, even after paying them the insurance value you will still owe 40% of the remaining payments, as, in effect, you are terminating early

Very good point - will have to look at that when / if I get an LE

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

Cheers, I was going to ask about this when I collect it. I think it's usually about a £300 one off payment?

·
Registered
7,179 Posts
You're saying that if the car is written off FAC expect both the market value for the vehicle and the statuatory 40% of remaining monthly payments to end the contract. Sadly writing off one's car doesn't terminate the contract ! :(
Thats what I mean, yes.

Obviously 'return to invoice' might cover you later on in the contract, when the market value is lower and you have only a few payments left,

But say for example you write it off early in the contract, you owe them virtually the full £25K or whatever and in my case plus about £7500 to cover the 40% of the remaining payments....

Same as I would owe them if I wanted to return the car early.

The gap insurance I have covers me up to £10K in the difference between pay out and settlement

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Thats what I mean, yes.

Obviously 'return to invoice' might cover you later on in the contract, when the market value is lower and you have only a few payments left,

But say for example you write it off early in the contract, you owe them virtually the full £25K or whatever and in my case plus about £7500 to cover the 40% of the remaining payments....

Same as I would owe them if I wanted to return the car early.

The gap insurance I have covers me up to £10K in the difference between pay out and settlement
Unless I've missed something in my RTI GAP agreement (through the same dealer as you ;) ) then there's no risk - all I'll have is a replacement car for the duration of the contract and perhaps some discussion with FAC as to why the car I give back to them is not the car they gave me. This is always assuming that I want to continue with the contract.

In terms of insurance I'm with Privilege who will cover vehicles for which I'm not the registered keeper whereas Direct Line wouldn't :confused: .

For those of you taking Contract Hire be aware of the extra charges that can build up. If you take the car abroad you need written authority which needs to be renewed annually, if you have a private plate you pay an admin fee for the transfer (both ways) and woe betide you if you fall victim to the congestion charge as Red Ken made it impossible for FAC to send the charge on to you - they pay it on your behalf (therefore accepting guilt) and send you the bill + £60 for their troubles :mad:

·
Registered
16,125 Posts
I cant see the point in driving to london pay red kens charges whne I can take a train.

May just leave the PP off the car then as people can see I have an 08 plate car.

Just had the first comment re the thing being so unreliable i needed to change at 10 months old or it would break down.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts