Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Having just changed car i told the insurance company just before picking the car up.

The car hasn't got tax so took a bit of a flyer getting it home, since then it has been sat on the drive waiting for the cover note.

Monday....nothing.....today......nothing, so i phoned them up and asked them if they could email me a PDF copy of it.....Nope not part of the company policy :censored:

Asked if they could fax it to a number of my choice....nope not part of the company policy :censored:

What amazes me is that in this day and age we still have to produce an insurance document when you want to tax the car, you only have to look at askMID to check, and i have no doubt there is a better version available for the police and other authorities, why dont the bloody post office use it as well...

So i'm stuck currently, i can work as i need the car, i can swap up for my taxi test...i need the car to do that ( i know that sounds strange but you have to do a lot of practice)

i am fuming and the insurance company don't give a stuff

:censored:ers

·
Registered
6,942 Posts
Same story with proof of no claims. Another bugbear. Insurance companies need you to send them (via snailmail) a hardcopy of a letter from another insurance company (received via snailmail) proving you have an NCB. Surely this is exactly the sort of thing they should have linked up between themselves to save time and their own risk.

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Why can't you just tax it online? No certificate needed then.

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
car isn't yet in my name, only picked it up on Sat.....

Finally got the insurance company to fax me a copy of the document, they now wont accept fax copies of insurance certificates :cry:

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
Car tax really is a joke these days. Last time I renewed mine at a post office, the guy behind the counter looked at me as though I was a criminal, before scouring through all my documents and checking every tiny detail. He finally (reluctantly) issued me with a tax disc. Stupidly, I failed to check it until I got home, when I discovered that he hadn't stamped it with a validation stamp. So I was back in the post office within 20 mins, talking to the same guy and he was practically making out that I must have stolen the disc! I suggested to him that maybe we should ask the DVLA what they thought and at that point he backed down. Stupid stupid system.

·
Registered
5,250 Posts
When I taxed my "new" 146 the lady in the Post office was great, quick glance at my insurance & scanned the MOT then took the V5 and sent it off for me to DVLA.
No hassles & no problems, shame you can't tax on line without the V5 in your name, but I guess that makes sense.

Had a tax reminder arrive on Saturday for a Laguna I sold about a year ago :confused:

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
Had a tax reminder arrive on Saturday for a Laguna I sold about a year ago :confused:
Watch out! That means the DVLA think the car is still registered to you - so any speeding tickets that the new owner incurs will be sent to you! Plus it's illegal not to inform the DVLA that you sold it, (even if you did tell them and they say you didn't), and they will come round and spank you.

You can commit murder and get off with a lighter sentence .... :lol:

·
Registered
5,250 Posts
Watch out! That means the DVLA think the car is still registered to you - so any speeding tickets that the new owner incurs will be sent to you! Plus it's illegal not to inform the DVLA that you sold it, (even if you did tell them and they say you didn't), and they will come round and spank you.

You can commit murder and get off with a lighter sentence .... :lol:
Weird thing is it was sold with no tax or MOT through local car auction, so what has gone on for the past year ?

According to DVLA website the SORN is due to expire.

Anyone know the link to the website that gives more info ?

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
car isn't yet in my name, only picked it up on Sat.....

Finally got the insurance company to fax me a copy of the document, they now wont accept fax copies of insurance certificates :cry:
But you have got the document reference number on the tear off bit of the V5. That is all you need to tax it online (if it is insured as well).

·
Registered
5,250 Posts
But you have got the document reference number on the tear off bit of the V5. That is all you need to tax it online (if it is insured as well).
Trouble is the tax disc will end up at the previous owners house, tried that when I bought my 146, sorted insurance, car had MOT so just needed tax, could do it online but tax disc goes to wrong place.

Had a nervous 70mile drive home with no tax and front slicks :lol:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts