Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
13,001 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok here the deal ... moving to a country area in my job (not moving house).... so instead of driving decide to buy a small van eg fiat bravo diesal which is registered as a commercial . So ring the Insurance company and see what it will cost to insure .. Ok as its commercial guy on end of phone states that I have to insure as a commercial . I make him aware that the van is worth 800 yoyo's he says not a bother it would cost less than 400. Ok so i tell him about my little BMW incident and he says as my NCB was protected it was not a problem and would even be able to give me credit of no claims discount . Ok great ... so off i go buy the van for 1000 yoyo and am getting timing belts etc , doe , and bits and pieces done. So ring up insurance company and explain all the details to a girl on the end of phone including (the BMW incident) and she comes back with a quote of 280 ... yipee... no no no ... got the quote in writing today and on it says "NO" to accidents in the last 5 years .. so being the "fool" that i am rang company again. Now they come back with 600 :cry::rant: they say that as the accident happened they could not allow my NCB! what a bunch of :rant::rant::rant::rant::rant:!
And guess what "civil Servants" are undesirables to insure :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
42,812 Posts
you've just payed the price for being honest....:rolleyes:

·
Super Moderator
85,835 Posts
It might be worth another phone call explaining that you were given a quote of < €400 by two different people :)
Maybe the third person you spoke to has made a mistake, worth the price of a call to find out :)

I'll let you know my opinion of civil servants in a few weeks ;)

·
Registered
13,001 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Civil Servants are undesirables to insure!!! Who is on the desirable list?
YOU:D

you've just payed the price for being honest....:rolleyes:
Ya i know but knowing my luck it would be the time that i would need them... and then the little fellow's inheritance would be gone :cheese:

When I moved from Scotland to NI my insurance doubled.
Damn right we need to keep all those foreigners out:p

It might be worth another phone call explaining that you were given a quote of < €400 by two different people :)
Maybe the third person you spoke to has made a mistake, worth the price of a call to find out :)

I'll let you know my opinion of civil servants in a few weeks ;)
To (A) have already tried bud ... lost the cool a bit with person but shouldn't have really...:(
To (B) you love us really ;)

·
0 Posts
Insurance = a necessary evil :( - don't get me started again on having to declare speeding fines from up to 5 years ago! :mad:

S

·
0 Posts
Insurance renewal from Quinn Direct yesterday. About the same, first year it hasn't decreased. Still at least £100 cheaper than anyone else though.

·
Registered
7,218 Posts
Unfortunately we all have to pay the price for uninsured and poor drivers :(

Having worked for insurance companies several years ago, then an insurance call centre giving motor insurance quotations, it doesn't surprise me that you've been quoted different amounts Dermo. Particularly with the larger companies, there's no sense of feeling bad when things go wrong - more a case of "it's someone else's problem!"

I now prefer to go with small insurance brokers where you get a more personal service or go online!

A

·
0 Posts
absolutely lynn gt,

i had 4 insurances running concurrently with aviva but after cancelling 3 of them i now wished i either hadant or had been more persistant and careful.
its ended up costing me a faie wedge what with cancellation fees, oh and back payments oh and no you only cancelled the standing order so outstanding fee fees!!!!!!!

needless to say ive now took my interests to a smaller company that offers a human being to speak to you when you call, a company that really wants to do thier best for you and one that knows left hand to right.

insurances are bad enough without the sky high prices too:rolleyes:

·
Registered
764 Posts
To be honest I think that's partly just an excuse to bump your premiums up. I remember several years ago I packed in my job to go self-employed, and duly insured my estate car for business use. I could almost hear the £££ signs going ker-ching on the other end of the phone when they quoted me the increased premium.

Now the only difference was that instead of driving a 90-mile round trip to my workplace every day, I would be tootling around locally with a few tools in the boot, thus doing much less mileage. Now can anybody explain why that should that cost so much extra, because several insurance companies couldn't.

Needless to say I didn't bother insuring it for business use after that. I know the purists are going to say I wasn't 'properly insured' but as far as I'm concerned I have no intention of being a willing victim in their little (or should that be huge?) moneymaking scam.

A

·
0 Posts
you just cant win either way...
my swb sprinter wich was non turbo cost me over 400 pyear. full no claims bonus, no points, driver for over 19 years too.

youd be lucky to see 70mph when empty and 60 mph eventually,,

the insurance company said its a commercial!

·
Registered
13,001 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I hate insurance companies..

Can you not tell them to shove it and get a quote elsewhere Dermo?
No as I had a Little altercation with a wall that ran out in front of me recently! Not the Alfa though :)

Insurance = a necessary evil :( - don't get me started again on having to declare speeding fines from up to 5 years ago! :mad:
You never drive fast as I was behind you all the way to NAD:D

Insurance renewal from Quinn Direct yesterday. About the same, first year it hasn't decreased. Still at least £100 cheaper than anyone else though.
SIN direct are the crowd whp said we were "undesirable" and wouldn't quote !:(

i hate insurance comapnies, i have to pay 2 grand for insurance on my mito
Its worth it though:thumbs:

Having worked for insurance companies several years ago, then an insurance call centre giving motor insurance quotations, it doesn't surprise me that you've been quoted different amounts Dermo. Particularly with the larger companies, there's no sense of feeling bad when things go wrong - more a case of "it's someone else's problem!"

I now prefer to go with small insurance brokers where you get a more personal service or go online!
see my next post!

absolutely lynn gt,

i had 4 insurances running concurrently with aviva but after cancelling 3 of them i now wished i either hadant or had been more persistant and careful.
its ended up costing me a faie wedge what with cancellation fees, oh and back payments oh and no you only cancelled the standing order so outstanding fee fees!!!!!!!

needless to say ive now took my interests to a smaller company that offers a human being to speak to you when you call, a company that really wants to do thier best for you and one that knows left hand to right.

insurances are bad enough without the sky high prices too:rolleyes:
Yes I found that a long time ago cancelling can be a pain in the a5se even if you do the cancelling:(

To be honest I think that's partly just an excuse to bump your premiums up. I remember several years ago I packed in my job to go self-employed, and duly insured my estate car for business use. I could almost hear the £££ signs going ker-ching on the other end of the phone when they quoted me the increased premium.

Now the only difference was that instead of driving a 90-mile round trip to my workplace every day, I would be tootling around locally with a few tools in the boot, thus doing much less mileage. Now can anybody explain why that should that cost so much extra, because several insurance companies couldn't.

Needless to say I didn't bother insuring it for business use after that. I know the purists are going to say I wasn't 'properly insured' but as far as I'm concerned I have no intention of being a willing victim in their little (or should that be huge?) moneymaking scam.
cant do it here as the van is registered as commercial and no company will insure it privately

you just cant win either way...
my swb sprinter wich was non turbo cost me over 400 pyear. full no claims bonus, no points, driver for over 19 years too.

youd be lucky to see 70mph when empty and 60 mph eventually,,

the insurance company said its a commercial!
:cry:

Update: After many phone calls to Aviva they still maintained there quote but when I asked them to check the phone call's (as they record them!) they stated they could not find the origainal recording:rant:

Anyway what happened was that the Girl who originally gave me the quote rang me back and said that she remembered the conversation and had a chat with her supervisor and guess what they are honering the original quote so a big :thumbs: .. being honest does pay sometimes..

·
Registered
13,001 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yes Dave there are times when being annoying can pay off.. like on AO !!:lol:

·
Registered
13,001 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks Julianiven1 but i'm across the water in Ireland .. :thumbs:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts