Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
677 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In common with millions of other car owners, all of my cars have cherished number plates. The bulk of these plates were originally issued in Ireland many years ago to cars long since scrapped, and have then been later sold into the "cherished plate" market in the UK. I have been quoted insurance premiums for two of them** today and these prices were half of any others I received ; however the firm that quoted these very low prices required that the vehicles be re-registered with non Irish registrations. This seems absurd to me.
Has anybody else heard of this ?
**Alfa Romeo 156 Sportwagon GTA Selespeed /Aston Martin DB9 Volante

·
Registered
2,592 Posts
When you say Irish do you mean Northern Ireland plates issued at Coleraine or Republic of Ireland plates?

I had no problems insuring my N.Irish registered car; the only grief I got was that the DVLA here wouldn't recognise the MOT certificate which was issued in County Down. (fancy that... government departments not talking to each other...)

But if the car is MOT'd and registered in mainland Britain then there shouldn't be a problem.

·
Registered
677 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hello again Steve

Whatever happened to your staying away ?

How is the fleet ?

And all the properties ?

and of course not forgetting the neighbours' au pair you cheeky scamp you :tut: ;)
I have come back because Facebook and Twitter have banned me !
Not only that but being the nice guy that I am, I thought it to be of genuine interest to members with cherished plates that they learn of this weird insurance anomaly**. The fleet is much reduced ( I didn't mind seeing the Ferraris go, but it broke my heart when my old Lagonda was driven away ! ) since I needed to raise some moolah in order to get my property empire's finances stabilised, but even there I have had to sell two houses that fortunately I no longer needed. The neighbours au pair is still up for serious fornication as and when I can manage to fit it in (pardon the pun ! ), so, all in all, things ain't to bad. In fact I now plan to take some serious time off and go on a World cruise for several months.
** I was quoted £325 fully comp for my Aston Martin DB9 Volante and normally pay well over twice that !

·
Registered
677 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
When you say Irish do you mean Northern Ireland plates issued at Coleraine or Republic of Ireland plates?

I had no problems insuring my N.Irish registered car; the only grief I got was that the DVLA here wouldn't recognise the MOT certificate which was issued in County Down. (fancy that... government departments not talking to each other...)

But if the car is MOT'd and registered in mainland Britain then there shouldn't be a problem.
I have owned my Irish plates for many years and have transferred them from dozens of cars of mine over that time, having no idea where in Ireland the plates came from. However, they all begin with either PBZ or PIL if that helps. The insurance firm that insisted that my cars be re-registered did offer very low premiums ( £325 fully comp. for my Aston Martin DB9 Volante ) but the cost of re-registering and a new cherished plate very quickly nullifies any saving.

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
I've got an NI plate on my car, it was already on it when I bought it, but I've not had any troubles.

·
Registered
2,592 Posts
PBZ and PIL are Northern Ireland so totally legal. The insurance company sound like they are full of it.

My plate was DBZ, so issued at the same place one of yours was.

Wish I'd kept it... with hindsight it was worth more than the Metro it was attached to...

J

·
0 Posts
i have a renault Clio with a DAZ number on it, no issues with the insurance company

I have had 2 NKZ plates with sequential numbers, no issues with insurance on these either......

1 - 7 of 7 Posts