Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
3,269 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, my dad was in an accident this morning - he pulled out onto a main road and a motorbike, which was some way down the road when he pulled out, was apparently travelling at a much much higher speed than my dad thought, and slammed right into the back of his car. He's fine but the biker apparently suffered a broken leg.

From what I'm told the police said it was entirely the biker's fault, but as my dad's car is only a little old N-reg Volvo 460 I think it will probably be a write-off :( Not seen the damage but I imagine it will involve a bent boot and rear bumper, possibly boot floor - on something so old and low-value I can't really see the insurers paying out for major repairs.

My question is, do any of you have any advice on how he could go about getting a maximum pay-out for the car? I'm a bit worried for him as he can't really afford to get a new car, and I suspect any pay-out he'll get will be a real pittance :(

Cheers

G

·
0 Posts
i bet he wont be able to sleep with his bad neck let alone get into a small car other than a range rover.;)

S

·
0 Posts
The insurance industry usually goes by book value. Best you can do is, if you can, tidy it up a wee bit, give it a clean, touch up non-accident related scratches and rust. At least then he might go by "good" condition value, rather than "average" condition.

It's not all bad news, I made a couple of hundred quid on a written off Clio a few years ago!

·
Registered
17,195 Posts
sorry to hear about your dad mate. Is he ok?

in cases like this, i worry a bit about the Government's £2k scrap scheme and to what extent it will reduce the supply of cars for folks like you dad. I guess his Volvo was worth little more than buttons, but it must have suited him perfectly, both as a car and financially. If many of the lower priced cars now get scrapped, what hope will anyone have of finding a sub £2k car that suits their needs and budget?

V

·
0 Posts
He chose to ride too fast for the conditions, if he isnt then he has nobody to blame but himself and somebody else will be out of pocket because of it.

You reap what you sow...
you dont know that. you weren't there all you going on is the op's second hand opinion!

maybe the driver should have had a better look and judged the bikers speed properly. and not pulled out infront of him.

i think he quite rightly has the driver to blame for pulling out infront of him not nobody

the car described in the op sounds like its worth next to fvck all anyway so who cares what happens to that. yet the biker is a person so when i say i hope he is ok whats wrong with that regardless of weather he was speeding or not. as a fellow biker, i have had many cars pull out infront of me because people just dont look and i would love to hear the bikers version of events.

·
Registered
37,341 Posts
Whilst not wanting to take sides here, I have very nearly run into the back of another car in my car before now after they pulled out of a side turning into my path.

Because I ran into the back of them would that make me in the wrong?

It was a 60mph road by the way, and I was doing 50mph (Luckily) and the old Granny just pulled out..

·
Administrator
23,020 Posts
Let's answer the question.

The insurance company will offer the book value - this will be minimal and probably less than you could buy the same car on, say, Autotrader.

You can find cars in a similar condition for sale, present the evidence to the insurance company and ask for that amount. If you do this be honest and realistic - i.e. yes you will find the price for a concours condition car but, if your (father's) car wasn't - don't lie. However if it was in better than average condition than you are entitled to expect the money to buy a similar replacement.

OR

Find out the cost of repair. If it is worth it accept the insurance companies write off value - buy it back off them and pay for the repairs yourself.

Good luck.

Paul.

·
Registered
3,269 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
you dont know that. you weren't there all you going on is the op's second hand opinion!

maybe the driver should have had a better look and judged the bikers speed properly. and not pulled out infront of him.

i think he quite rightly has the driver to blame for pulling out infront of him not nobody

the car described in the op sounds like its worth next to fvck all anyway so who cares what happens to that. yet the biker is a person so when i say i hope he is ok whats wrong with that regardless of weather he was speeding or not. as a fellow biker, i have had many cars pull out infront of me because people just dont look and i would love to hear the bikers version of events.
I thought I made it clear enough in my post Hughes, all I've heard is what my dad told me which is that when he pulled out the bike was a reasonable distance down the road, and that it was speeding and subsequently hit the back of his car (not the side). To quote what I was told: "As the policeman said, if I had pulled out in front of him, there would have been damage to the side of the car. Also there were no skid marks from the bike so he made no attempt to slow down". Perhaps the bike was going to overtake but failed? I don't know. I wasn't there. Neither were you.

The road was a 50mph zone, and there were independent witnesses. Ultimately this isn't a topic for discussing the blame, and while I respect your right to discuss the events more broadly, I really do not appreciate the tone in which you're doing it.

·
Registered
3,269 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Regarding the more useful comments in the thread, thanks for your advice, I'll pass it on to him. The car was in good condition and low mileage for its age, around 50k, so I hope the insurers may take this into account when valuing it.

I may be jumping the gun anyway - it was only this morning and they haven't got involved yet, no doubt it will drag on for ages :(

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
when the insurer sends around the investigator who asses the damage and value, ask to be there to point out whats good about the car. I wrote my car off last year, it had full service, i had just had the cylinder head replaced as the gasket went a few thousand miles earlier, new tyres, new brakes, and a paint respray only 2 years prior, i told him all this produced receipts, and got nearly double the value he said he would have valued it at if i was not there. It was a old p reg rover 220 coupe turbo, but i got £1800 he would of valued at £1000.

V

·
0 Posts
I thought I made it clear enough in my post Hughes, all I've heard is what my dad told me which is that when he pulled out the bike was a reasonable distance down the road, and that it was speeding and subsequently hit the back of his car (not the side). To quote what I was told: "As the policeman said, if I had pulled out in front of him, there would have been damage to the side of the car. Also there were no skid marks from the bike so he made no attempt to slow down". Perhaps the bike was going to overtake but failed? I don't know. I wasn't there. Neither were you.

The road was a 50mph zone, and there were independent witnesses. Ultimately this isn't a topic for discussing the blame, and while I respect your right to discuss the events more broadly, I really do not appreciate the tone in which you're doing it.
i never said he hit the side of you dads car or that i was there, obviously youre going to be defensive of your dad. but if he knew the bike was speeding why did he pull out of the turn, why not wait until he had passed, his judgement obviously isnt that good as he deemed the bike to be a safe distance away and it clearly wasn't.

all i said was i hope the biker is ok and i think that is a million times more important than what your dad gets back from his insurance. my other comments were aimed at ghosty dog not you.

G

·
0 Posts
sounds to me like the biker guy wasnt paying as much attention as he should of been if he was speeding.:tut:
obviously your dad pulled out at an o.k time for the biker to realise that there is someone else in the lane that he is in and slow down a bit. if he did that he wouldnt have hit the back of the car more like the side.
some bikers can be numptys, so when im driving i always leave them more room e.g when they make their own lane in traffic which is illegal and dangerous and wonder why they get mowed down by cars monuvering into another lane.:thumbs:

G

·
0 Posts
Nicky, in the nicest possible way, I'll be amazed if an insurance company take your dad's side. I know of a fair few incidents like this and they always side with the biker...........

Best of luck with it. :)

·
Administrator
23,020 Posts
Nicky, in the nicest possible way, I'll be amazed if an insurance company take your dad's side. I know of a fair few incidents like this and they always side with the biker...........

Best of luck with it. :)
Unlikely. As said the police thought the biker was in the wrong.

The biker ran into the BACK of a car - seems cut and dried if that is an accurate summation of the situation.

·
Registered
37,341 Posts
Unlikely. As said the police thought the biker was in the wrong.

The biker ran into the BACK of a car - seems cut and dried if that is an accurate summation of the situation.
If the car pulled out in front of you then you ran into the back though it may not be so clear cut.

From the sounds of it to me Nicky's dad looked one way, looked the other then went, due to the bikes speed it wasn't in view at the first glance, but appeared suddenly after he pulled out.

·
Registered
5,245 Posts
If the car pulled out in front of you then you ran into the back though it may not be so clear cut.

From the sounds of it to me Nicky's dad looked one way, looked the other then went, due to the bikes speed it wasn't in view at the first glance, but appeared suddenly after he pulled out.
Just like in the Think Bike advert

1 - 20 of 31 Posts