Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
evening all,
One of the bulbs that illuminate the speedo on my car has died :eek: I have been thinking that if I am going to change it would white led bulbs be ok or do they cause a problem?
Anyone tried them?
Cheers Steve. :thumbs:

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
I have tried LED's on my centre console... total headache!! Given the lifespan of the normal bulbs, it's not worth the hassle.

·
Registered
17 Posts
i have white leds in my speedo and the center console, works great. The light gets a little brighter and the color gets a bit lighter green.

·
Registered
2,575 Posts
i have white leds in my speedo and the center console, works great. The light gets a little brighter and the color gets a bit lighter green.
There are big differences in quality between the various products on the market. Any chance of a link to the ones you used, please? :)

-Alex

·
Registered
17 Posts
i bought them from a swedish sight and they only ship to sweden, but I also have some from ebay and they looks and performes the same!

its t5 bulbs for everything except the ac controls witch are neo wedge 4

sorry for my bad english im from sweden :D

·
Premium Member
19,119 Posts
As I used to work in dashboards at ford a lot of thought had to be put into back lighting. One thing that should be considered is heat and fade. Tell tales and dash illumination usually have a layer called a "white pass" which controls the amount of light that is passed through the applique. A brighter bulb can induce colour fade quicker. LED's should be fine as they are used on pretty much all modern cars. Just be careful that the heat produced doesen't blister the dash is the bulb sits closer to the appique etc. You should be ok as LED's produce less heat than normal but if the bulb is higher etc. Another thing to look out for is LED angle. Ideally you'll want 120 degree's or more. Less that this could produce dark spots in corners of the illuminated area :)

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks for the informed replies guys, much appreciated, I am not looking for super bright, just a bit crisper, I will give the like for like leds a go and see how I get on. :thumbs:

·
Registered
2,946 Posts
everything to do with lights on a GTV i have ever come accross has always had age related dust on insides of wherever it was ( headlamp, main beam, interior light, puddle lamp, side lights fog lights i am thinking a good clean may achieve some improvment

·
Registered
2,946 Posts
can anyone tell me if i can get the "twist and turn" block for both the centre console and the instument binacle

i want twist and tunn thing and LED bulb all ready fitted,

I thought they were 509 / T5 and they dont fit centre console as i thought they would 1-2mm larger than the hole they slip into

1 - 13 of 13 Posts