Alfa Romeo Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone here installed a rear USB/lighter socket?
I have a 159 Lusso that does not have the rear climate control adjustment so I was thinking of installing it there, in that massive gap below the vents, but I almost need a blanking plate that I could mount the socket flush with - and then mount that plate over the hole. Not really sure where I could get such a plate from. Has anyone else done this or have any thoughts on how it could be done?

Vehicle White Car Automotive tire Motor vehicle

·
Registered
443 Posts
You can always take a 'barbaric' approach and just drill a hole in that "oddments compartment" for usb ports module.

The other approach could be taking that shelf out (it is easily removable by just pulling it out) and taking it to some 3D printing workshop who have a 3D scanner at their disposal.

·
Premium Member
8,216 Posts
or alternatively, do it the old fashioned way......
Cut a wooden panel (triplex?) to shape, and cover with leather... ;)

Did something more-or-less similar for an OBD gauge in my GTA :

Attachments

·
Registered
4,262 Posts
When I had my 159 and fitted the pioneer that had 2 USB outlets I fitted a flush mounted USB like this in the cubby hole.

however unless you have something to hook it up to you will need one of the types that is USB to 12v and wire in to cig lighter. Got one of these in the giulietta.

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You can always take a 'barbaric' approach and just drill a hole in that "oddments compartment" for usb ports module.

The other approach could be taking that shelf out (it is easily removable by just pulling it out) and taking it to some 3D printing workshop who have a 3D scanner at their disposal.
Might have to try your latter idea, as I did take the shelf out and there wasn't enough space for the module, unless I let it stick outwards which I think would just look tacky. Thanks!
or alternatively, do it the old fashioned way......
Cut a wooden panel (triplex?) to shape, and cover with leather... ;)

Did something more-or-less similar for an OBD gauge in my GTA :
Wow that looks really, really clean. Might give this a go, thanks!
Out of curiosity where did you connect the guage?
When I had my 159 and fitted the pioneer that had 2 USB outlets I fitted a flush mounted USB like this in the cubby hole.

however unless you have something to hook it up to you will need one of the types that is USB to 12v and wire in to cig lighter. Got one of these in the giulietta.
Will have to wire it it into the front cigarette lighter. I have been looking at getting a new head unit but they're a bit expensive and the only thing i'd really use on it is the screen for a reversing camera so will hold off for now (Although I do think they look nicer than the default unit).

·
Premium Member
8,216 Posts
Wow that looks really, really clean. Might give this a go, thanks!
Out of curiosity where did you connect the guage?
Was an OBD guage from PLX, so just connected to the OBD port.....
Don't think they have that particular model anymore, just the 52 mm version. More or less moved to phone apps now
plx gauges

see:

youtube plx

·
Registered
6 Posts
I did. Used one of the Chinese usb car chargers. Removed the shell na used only the electronics. Working perfectly and is iluminated in white.

Reactions: Kaede
1 - 7 of 7 Posts