Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

Just wondering has anyone installed the Nokia CK-7W bluetooth kit in a 147?

I've already got compatible Telemute leads that sit between the kit and the connections for the stereo and I know these should work OK but I was just wondering if there is enough space to hide away the CK-7W box itself as well as the leads. I've installed the kit previously in two other cars and have been holding off doing it until I had the car for a few months but miss it too much and now its time to get it in!

Also wondering if anyone knows if there is a mute wire/pause function and if this would work on this set up.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
If you have a standard Radio then there is a mute function - I have it working on mine (156 SW) although I have a Bury kit for my Nokia phone rather than the Nokia kit.

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
Yes, but I didn't install it myself, it was installed as part of our company mobile contract.

When I rang up to book the installation I asked them to connect it through the cars speakers. They told me I needed the additional telemute leads. I had already read on here that it wasn't needed, but they insisted they would not install it without the leads,

When the installer arrived I asked him if he could just connect it into the radio, even offered him a few quid, he said he couldn't do it as that is not what was on his job sheet, but could, privately, come back and sort it later.

I never did get it sorted, had a look myself, but never had the time to rip out the mute lead and connect it directly. It works Ok, but the quality isn't as good and the steering wheel volume buttons don't control the phone volume.

So, eventually, Yes There's space for the Nokia box and mute leads, but the radio has 'tel +' & 'tel -' speaker inputs, and a mute input so the telemute leads are not needed.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
So, eventually, Yes There's space for the Nokia box and mute leads, but the radio has 'tel +' & 'tel -' speaker inputs, and a mute input so the telemute leads are not needed.

OK thanks for the reply guys

Do you think since I already have the telemute leads and relay box with a mute input I should just use them anyway to make it simpler even though it can be done without them?

Am I right in thinking that this would make installation a whole lot easier for myself when you consider this will provide power and everything to the CK-7W kit and hopefully the mute function should work with it too? I think the mute function if it works properly will make Phone appear on the radio and will pause a CD if playing, is this right?

For reference the telemute leads/box I have is 06-018-REV1 E11.

Oh and by the way, yes I'm just using the standard CD/radio player...

PS on a side note, while I'm there, I'd like to check why the factory fitted CD changer in the boot isn't working..just no power going to it at all. Maybe its at the boot end the problem is but thought when I have the radio out I could check something up there just in case..

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
PS on a side note, while I'm there, I'd like to check why the factory fitted CD changer in the boot isn't working..just no power going to it at all. Maybe its at the boot end the problem is but thought when I have the radio out I could check something up there just in case..

Thanks!
Check that the cable has not fallen out of the CD changer (mine keeps doing this)

·
AO Car Of The Year Winner 2015
3,202 Posts
I used CK-1W in the past and now I have CK-15W now. But I have pictures just from the first install:

I hid the unit in passenger footwell on the other side of the trim, held by double sided tape:
http://kgb.clubalfaromeo.com/gotcha/Audio/My Nokia CK-W1 Bluetooth HF/011.JPG

Control is behind the gearshift lever:
http://kgb.clubalfaromeo.com/gotcha/Audio/My Nokia CK-W1 Bluetooth HF/009.JPG

I run the mic through fusebox, A pillar, sunvisor up to the lights:
http://kgb.clubalfaromeo.com/gotcha/Audio/My Nokia CK-W1 Bluetooth HF/007.JPG

Regarding the audio, I have nokia speaker in passenger footwell:
http://kgb.clubalfaromeo.com/gotcha/Audio/My Nokia CK-W1 Bluetooth HF/005.JPG

The mute function is just a lead to the radio, it worked on my original HU and on the aftermarket Blaupunkt unit as well. Mutes sound and displays "phone" on the display. I never bothered with connecting it to car speakers, but both head units had the pins to do it.

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
Am I right in thinking that this would make installation a whole lot easier for myself when you consider this will provide power and everything to the CK-7W kit and hopefully the mute function should work with it too? I think the mute function if it works properly will make Phone appear on the radio and will pause a CD if playing, is this right?

The the telephone harness fitted to mine just overrides the connection from the radio to the speakers while on a call so it won't pause a CD and doesn't change the display.

It also cuts the radio if the phone makes any noise, ie key tones, low battery warnings, and the one that does my nut in, unable to check for e-mails, which it can't do in the car as I've only got wi-fi.

N

·
0 Posts
The CK-7W will easily connect to the standard head unit and provide
you with audio via the stereo without the need for any additional boxes.

You just need to connect the permanent and switched power (use the CD
changer +12V from the headunit for the switched power) ground and TEL MUTE
lines and then feed the audio from the Nokia kit to TEL + and TEL - on the headunit.

Job Done.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
OK tried the telemute leads method and although it works, whenever the kit comes on it nearly deafens you!

You can turn the volume down but when you next turn the ignition on it is really loud again. Looks like this could be a problem due to the Bose sound system/amplifier and these ISO leads aren't really suitable.

I guess I'd really need to connect straight to the head unit then but don't want to really start chopping wires on the plugs if there is another way. Am I right in thinking that if you were to follow the cable (that has yellow/green plug) there is provision for connecting the phone kit in behind the glove box? Or else why have these things been terminated on the connector at the head unit?

Arrrggggh! Never simple in my life..!

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Just ordered from this:

http://www.incartec.co.uk/assets/files/Alfa Catalogue Page (08).pdf

Got the 147/156 10-300-C Bose (for all Alfas with direct input) along with 10-101 lead for CK-7W. Cost around £20 but I really don't want to go chopping cables!

I just phoned up and spoke to them. The guy was very helpful and knowledgable, so he got my business straight away. Anyone else considering using the telemute leads don't do it! I'm going to take them out ASAP before I ruin both my hearing and the Bose amplifier..

As well as this I noticed the audio quality on both ends of the phone call is worse than when I had it installed in other cars and there is bad feedback/echo as well. From what I understand the CK-7W has its own amplifier in it already so you're basically putting an amplifier on an amplifer when using the telemute cables.

Will let you know how I get on with these leads when they arrive..

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Couldn't believe it, received leads this morning and paid just £2.50 for P&P. Looks like I will have to chop the Tel +, Tel -, and Mute cables coming off the existing green mini ISO connector but I can live with that! A connector was also provided that you could just push the cables into in case there was no existing wiring i.e. if you had no CD changer (I presume)

Will let you know how I get on later..

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Oh dear, wasn't able to complete install as I cannot connect to the upper speaker section of the two large inputs at the back of the head unit now as lead supplied only has the power connections on it - the connector coming from the loom uses a doubled up plug for the stereo!

Looks like an extension cable should complete the job, phoned the guy up and he is posting me one this evening so I should received it tomorrow free of charge...

From doing a bit of looking around on the web it appears the existing connections on the green mini ISO plug control the CD Changer and the single wire in the yellow plug is a control wire for the Bose system.

However, I'd appreciate if anyone could help me with the following, and tell me if the CD Changer will work along with a phone kit:

1/ Are the existing connections going into the Tel+ and Tel- on the green mini ISO plug used to feed in the audio from the changer then and would these need to also be reconnected along with the new connections from the phone kit audio? Will it be OK to connect up both cd changer and phone audio simultaeously?

2/ Why is there already a mute wire going into the Tel mute connection..is this just there for the sake of it?

I'm guessing when a signal is sent by the phone kit (i.e. when its in use) then the mute wire tells the head unit to pause CD/mute radio. In the case of the CD(changer) is a signal to pause sent via the control wires for the changer which means that phone/music output is never at the same time?

3/ What is the white unused connector coming from the loom (with a lever catch thingy) used for?

Thanks in advance for any replies...:)

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I also posted here:

http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/alfa...h-appreciated-147-cd-changer.html#post3403332

Maybe after all that the previous owner had the HU out at one stage and reconnected the green mini-ISO into the wrong port? Should there be a space between the two plugs?

Would really appreciate if anyone could shed any light on this and where does the blue connector come into it? Are there different versions/wiring on the original units?

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Finally got a chance to finish installing this evening and I have to say the direct connection method works so much better. The audio is much clearer (there was a buzz/hum using the telemute leads as well as it being much too loud) and the person on the other end does not get an echo now. I also noticed that it is far better to adjust volume with radio/steering wheel rather than the button wheel on the kit itself otherwise the audio will start to distort but this is what you should be doing anyway.

This is definately the proper way to go if the car is using an amplified system (i.e. Bose).

Yep the previous owner did have the HU out and wasn't it nice of him (or her) to chop off the blue mini ISO connector for the CD changer!

I guess the other connections on the green plug are used for the steering wheel buttons, but I still wonder why the 2xTel and mute wire is already connected to the loom..

Please see my other post if you can help me with getting a new blue connector with or without wires and pin out location/colours:

http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/alfa-147-156-and-gt/219139-help-much-appreciated-147-cd-changer.html

..Thanks

1 - 14 of 14 Posts